G_One

Travelling outside USA on Green Card

3 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

Hope everyone is having a good time. Coming back on VJ after some gap.

Here is my question, I have been on Green Card since Feb 2015, however I have not worked in the US in 2015 and didnot earn anything. I had just been using my savings and borrowing money from my brothers and cousins and hunting for a fulltime job.

However in 2016 I did started working did Lyft taxi driving for one month and then got a full time 8 hr job in an office since June. Since then my tax is automatically been getting deducted from my salary as I am on W-2.

Now in Oct 2016 I will be travelling outside USA and visiting my home country and back in 3-4 weeks in November or so.

I want to know if I need to pay taxes or zero income IT Returns to file for 2015 and do I need to do any thing for 2016 or anything that I need to take care before I fly out of US. So that when I come back the CBP does not harass me for anything at the port of entry. Please advice !!

Thanks in advance

Your unexpired green card allows your re-entry into the US, it has nothing to do with your income earning activity. Unless you have an outstanding arrest warrant for tax evasion, you are all good to go, just make sure you have your GC when you travel and don't stay out too long.

Cheers

• 3 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:12 PM, jjbandero said:

Your unexpired green card allows your re-entry into the US, it has nothing to do with your income earning activity. Unless you have an outstanding arrest warrant for tax evasion, you are all good to go, just make sure you have your GC when you travel and don't stay out too long.

Cheers

Even with an outstanding arrest warrant she cannot be denied entry. She will be hassled at secondary inspection but that's about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.