keenanmt

Approved to work but EAD card lost in mail. Can I work?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi all,

Up 'till now my process of adjusting from J1 to green card through marriage has been going smoothly. I've submitted my I-130 and I-485 along with application for work authorization and parole to travel.

On the 7th of October I received notice that I'd been approved to work and my parole to travel was also approved. I was to receive my combo card in the mail separately. This was great news and a surprise as I was ahead of schedule.

However, yesterday (the 20th of October) I checked my status online and found the card was deemed undeliverable at my address. I contacted the post office immediately but it was too late and the card was already on it's way back to USCIS.

I called USCIS and was put through the 2nd tier customer service. The lady was helpful and said to call again when my status says the card arrived back with them and they would send it out again.

I asked her did I have to wait for the card before I could work legally and she told me no, it was up to the employer as I have been approved already and have a letter saying that. She also said I could leave the country if I needed to (which I do in 2 months time).

I am posting here because what she told me seems to contradict what I've seen mentioned on these forums before. Can I really accept a job and begin working without the EAD card? and can I really leave the country and return without it?

Does anyone have experience of doing so??

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!

Hi all,

Up 'till now my process of adjusting from J1 to green card through marriage has been going smoothly. I've submitted my I-130 and I-485 along with application for work authorization and parole to travel.

On the 7th of October I received notice that I'd been approved to work and my parole to travel was also approved. I was to receive my combo card in the mail separately. This was great news and a surprise as I was ahead of schedule.

However, yesterday (the 20th of October) I checked my status online and found the card was deemed undeliverable at my address. I contacted the post office immediately but it was too late and the card was already on it's way back to USCIS.

I called USCIS and was put through the 2nd tier customer service. The lady was helpful and said to call again when my status says the card arrived back with them and they would send it out again.

I asked her did I have to wait for the card before I could work legally and she told me no, it was up to the employer as I have been approved already and have a letter saying that. She also said I could leave the country if I needed to (which I do in 2 months time).

I am posting here because what she told me seems to contradict what I've seen mentioned on these forums before. Can I really accept a job and begin working without the EAD card? and can I really leave the country and return without it?

Does anyone have experience of doing so??

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!

Technically you'd be able to work since your EAD is approved but without the physical card I doubt any employer would actually hire you. Mine informed me up front that an approval notice wouldn't suffice and I should have the card in hand

Edit: do not leave the country if you do not have the AP letter, combo card or green card in hand. You won't be able to get back in

Edited by p-ana

Timeline

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

So in your experience an employer was looking specifically for the EAD card. I already have my SSN would that make a difference do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Not quite sure what your mean by that, I don't have a green card. I was approved for EAD and AP not a green card yet

oh ok i misread the question sorry

I'm kind of wondering the same thing: if we have the AP approval letter, do we still need to wait for the EAD/AP combo card to travel internationally? (I'm assuming we do need both.)

In your case, I'd also suggest signing up for MyUSPS for any updates for packages coming to your mailbox. (However, they only notify for packages and not regular mail.)

Edited by curious-intellect

I'm kind of wondering the same thing: if we have the AP approval letter, do we still need to wait for the EAD/AP combo card to travel internationally? (I'm assuming we do need both.)

In your case, I'd also suggest signing up for MyUSPS for any updates for packages coming to your mailbox. (However, they only notify for packages and not regular mail.)

Yes, without the actual card or AP letter, if that's the case, they won't let you back in. Don't travel outside the country without having the proper document. An approval notice is not a travel document and it's stated there it can't be used as such

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

So in your experience an employer was looking specifically for the EAD card. I already have my SSN would that make a difference do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Your ss card alone doesn't work and won't be proof enough. You need the EAD or green card to work. The employer requires a few documents so they can fill in the i9.

Try taking to a tier 2 officer at uscis, get your congress person involved, etc.

Yes, without the actual card or AP letter, if that's the case, they won't let you back in. Don't travel outside the country without having the proper document. An approval notice is not a travel document and it's stated there it can't be used as such

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Waiting for the card to arrive is so hard, especially when we are supposed to be traveling internationally soon. Now, we are just hoping the combo card gets here fast. Thanks for the response!

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Waiting for the card to arrive is so hard, especially when we are supposed to be traveling internationally soon. Now, we are just hoping the combo card gets here fast. Thanks for the response!

Best advice we get around here is: do not make plans, buy tickets, Sell things, etc, if you do not have the visa/ document you need in hand. A lot of setbacks can happen and is better to be safe than sorry, lose money, get into trouble, etc

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I would call USCIS regarding this matter.

08/18/2016: Married!
09/21/2016: Sent AOS Package per FedEx Express

09/22/2016 Forms arrived at USCIS office

10/11/2016: Received NOA 1 in mail (forms accepted & processed)
10/26/2016: Biometrics Appointment
10/28/2016: Case is ready for interview & awaiting schedulement
12/08/2016: EAD & AP approved!

12/13/2016: Received EAD & AP combo card!

10/04/2017: Received Appointment letter!

11/02/2017: Interview! Decision cannot yet be made, awaiting final approval.

11/06/2017: Approval letter in mail!

11/13/2017: Greencard arrived!

You need the EAD in your hands to be able to comply with the I-9 requirements, which you need to complete in order to legally work.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Do you know why the EAD was deemed undeliverable? When my husband's EAD arrived, the carrier just left it in the mailbox. When his green card arrived, the carrier came to the door and asked if he lived there, but he was not required to present himself to the carrier, nor did I have to sign for the green card.

Timeline

Thanks for all the replies everyone, really appreciate it. Looks like I'll juts have to wait around for another month or so doing nothing :(

I have no idea why the EAD card wasn't delivered, I can only guess based on what I've seen here and it was probably one of two things - the postman didn't see my name on the postbox - or somehow USCIS made a mistake with the address or name on the letter. Both of which seem highly unlikely to me as my housemate and wife's post were both delivered the same day and I was in the house at the time and the postman didn't come to the door. Also USCIS have all my correct information and I've not changed addresses or anything. So who knows.

I also read that should I need to leave the country (I do at christmas) I caa go for an infopass meeting and could possibly obtain a document there allowing me re-entry seeing as I have already been approved for it. Hopefully that's true. Even more hopefully, it doesn't come to that!

Thanks again everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.