b2tok1tob2

URGENT: Death of gf's father! Can I use my old B2 after getting a K1?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am from Ireland and my girlfriend is from the United States. Three years ago after dating for a year I got a B2 visa. I did this in order to make the frequent trips over and back easier. As an Irish citizen I didn't need the B2 but I thought that it would be nice to not have to fill out the ESTA form each time and it also gave me the freedom to stay longer if I wished. I visited on the B2 several times. I even got a new passport and still traveled using the B2 in the old passport.

We decided that to further our relationship we needed to be closer together. We both love each other and the best option seemed to be to get married. I applied for and got a K1 visa. I quit my job traveled to the states on the K1. We were a little apprehensive so we decided not to marry straight away and use the 90 days given to make sure that we were ready. Long story short, we weren't. I informed the embassy in Dublin that we weren't going ahead with the marriage at that time and I moved back to Ireland (within the 90 days) and got a new job. That was during this summer just gone (2016).

A few months have gone by and I haven't visited since. She is planning on visiting my family for Christmas. And there was a rough plan for m to visit her in February.

However some terrible news came this morning. Her father suddenly died! She is devastated! The funeral will be in the next 2 or 3 days.

I am now trying to frantically figure out where I stand with my old B2 visa in order to fly out tomorrow morning. I emailed the embassy. A woman called me back soon after. She said that if my B2 was not after expiring and that it hadn't been cancelled I could use it. However, she said that it should have been cancelled when I got my K1. According to her it should have been stamped with "Cancelled" at some point during the K1 process. I don't know how this could be, maybe I messed up in the k1 process, maybe she is incorrect? She said that it would be the person at the desk in immigration in the airport who would make the decision on whether I could enter or not.

I don't remember at any point in the K1 process being asked did I have a B2 visa, nor do I remember sending in my old passport during the K1 process. Am I wrong in this? Did I make a mistake?

I am terrified that if I arrive in the airport they will not only reject me and deport me (and I'll lose €800), but that I will also get some sort of ban. I have seen that "material misrepresentation" can cause a lifetime ban!! Is this considered that? Even if accidental?

I considered just going the ESTA route but that specifically says that you can only apply if "You are currently not in possession of a visitor's visa". I'm not even sure if I am!

Please help. I don't know what to do. I want to be totally above board and honest with them. I don't want to get in trouble. I just want to be with my girlfriend to help her deal with the loss of her father.

Any advice at all? What should I do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

They cancel the visitor visa when you get the K-1. Since it's in your old passport it obvious couldn't get stamped so it's probably in their computer system.

It was unfortunately you got the B2 since you had ESTA option.

Just try and fill out the ESTA and see what happens when you get reply, usually I got replay with minuts.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why did you have a B, most people use the VWP.

Sometimes they cancel sometimes they do not, anyway there is pre clearance in Ireland so you would not get on the plane without valid documentation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I have a B visa in my old passport too that is not expired yet. I asked the CO at the K1 interview and he told me that I wouldn't be able to use it anymore as it's cancelled. So I guess they just do that in their computer and they would've just physically cancelled it, if the visa had been in your current passport.

Just get ESTA, I've never heard of someone who had to wait longer than 5 minutes to get it including myself.

As an Irish citizen I didn't need the B2 but I thought that it would be nice to not have to fill out the ESTA form each time and it also gave me the freedom to stay longer if I wished. I visited on the B2 several times. I even got a new passport and still traveled using the B2 in the old passport.

This sounds fishy. One ESTA approval lasts two years, you don't "fill something out every time", it costs $14 and is considerably cheaper and quicker than a B2. Also, why does a working man need more than 90 days at a time that the VWP grants? A B2 is rarely granted to someone of working age when the VWP covers their options perfectly.

Is there perhaps a reason that you don't qualify for the VWP? I mean, why spend $160 and cart yourself off to the embassy for an appointment when five minutes of typing and $14 will get you into the country? You said you didn't want to fill out an ESTA every time (which doesn't even happen and even when it does it's a few minutes) but put yourself through far more hassle and used up far more time (and risked being blocked from using the VWP ever again if, for some reason, the B2 had been denied).

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Firstly, my condolences to her and her family.

However, there are several things that are off about your story.

1. ESTA is definitely more convenient and cheaper than a B-2 visa.

2. B-2 visas are usually issued to those who are ineligible for the VWP.

3. A working individual being able to travel and stay in the US for more than ~3 months at a time can be a red flag.

4. The K-1 visa is NOT EVER to be used to give your relationship a "test run". The K-1 is specifically for those who have a loved one they are ready and eager to marry who happens to reside in another country. During the interview I am sure that you claimed you were ready to get married and would do so in the generous 90-day window. If you had let them know your true feelings of apprehension and intentions to "wait it out", you never would have been issued a visa.

There are many things not right here.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Firstly, my condolences to her and her family.

However, there are several things that are off about your story.

1. ESTA is definitely more convenient and cheaper than a B-2 visa.

2. B-2 visas are usually issued to those who are ineligible for the VWP.

3. A working individual being able to travel and stay in the US for more than ~3 months at a time can be a red flag.

4. The K-1 visa is NOT EVER to be used to give your relationship a "test run". The K-1 is specifically for those who have a loved one they are ready and eager to marry who happens to reside in another country. During the interview I am sure that you claimed you were ready to get married and would do so in the generous 90-day window. If you had let them know your true feelings of apprehension and intentions to "wait it out", you never would have been issued a visa.

I think these are all on the part of misunderstanding by the OP. They thought a B2 would give them more chance of entry into the US and would require less paperwork (incorrect) and that the K-1 would give them time to get to know each other before deciding to marry (incorrect but really it just means if they go for it again in the future they *might* face more scrutiny).

I don't think he did anything intentionally malicious. Just didn't know better.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

^^^

???

Like how could you do that to yourself I am floored

I think these are all on the part of misunderstanding by the OP. They thought a B2 would give them more chance of entry into the US and would require less paperwork (incorrect) and that the K-1 would give them time to get to know each other before deciding to marry (incorrect but really it just means if they go for it again in the future they *might* face more scrutiny).

I don't think he did anything intentionally malicious. Just didn't know better.

My thoughts as well. Not sure why everything has to be "fishy".

Even though a K-1 wasn't designed as a "trial period" for relationships, facts are that people do use it that way, they use tourist visas that way as well. There's even a tv show (90 Day Fiance) that plays off the 90 day window for a K-1 as a trial period.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.