Lisbeth

Visa approved! now I have more questions!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

I had the interview yesterday and I have been informed that my visa is approved.

For those who have the visa at LONDON EMBASSY you must know that you need to register at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/ in order to get your passport with visa once is issued.

You have the option to pick up or delivery(at your cost).

The full process of interview took 2 hours.

Now that I've got the visa. They informed me that I have expiration on 27th of March 2017, so I must go to the USA before that date to activate the process to get the GC.

I have been told that the green card is taking now more than 4 month to arrive, hence I am thinking about only travelling to activate the process and come back to UK in order to continue with my job as I am not sure if I could work without the social security number and the GC.

I am a title bit confused as I have been told that I have a year to go back to the US but also a friend told me that they have been living in Norway for 10 years and now they are moving to the USA otherwise they will loose the chance to continue with the GC.

I don't want to waste time without a job in the USA when I have a job in UK, so I rather to wait my GC generating income and saving more money for my relocation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Lisbeth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

You can get an SSN with your endorsed immigrant visa which also serves as proof of LPR status for a year - same as a GC. Once you have your SSN, you can work with that and the endorsed immigrant visa.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

People who haven't done DV don't always give entirely accurate answers, especially if they didn't arrive on an immigrant visa (those coming on K visas or doing AOS do things a bit differently for example). So, for you as a DV winner:

- assuming you ticked the box on the DS260, your social security card should (should, sometimes it goes astray) be triggered automatically and usually arrives in less than 2 weeks. You only need go into a SS office if you are one of the few where it doesn't come automatically.

- your stamped immigrant visa converts into a temporary green card valid for a year when you land (look at the line at the bottom about temporary I551) and can be used for anything a plastic green card can. Both are simply proof of your LPR status.

So there is no reason to go back anywhere just because you're waiting for a plastic green card. You'll need a SSN for most things, but that shouldn't take very long.

And you're absolutely correct that, without a re-entry permit (valid for 2 years), an absence of 1 year or longer means you are presumed to have abandoned residency.

Edited by SusieQQQ

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi

I have a question to Lisbeth as we will be having our medical and interview in London. Can you please share your experience on both ? How medical went? and later interview? Looking forward your reply.

Edited by EM2016

Timeline

Hi!
The medical is about two hours ( depends on how many people are in the centre) urine sample blood test ( the new Zealand doctor has a magic hand with needles) chest ex and general check. Read the information on the official website site.
The interview is almost 3 hours. The people in the first windows who request all the documentation are very strict but then you will feel relaxed when the interviewer makes you few questions about your expectations plan and reason to apply.
Bring bank statements! And register with dx group the carrier service for the US visa.
If you have any other questions let me know.
Hope this helps
Regards
Lisbeth

Timeline

Ok.

One more question please!

If my intention is to live in Florida but my first trip to USA is New York is that a problem?

Could I activate the visa and give my visa package to immigration at any airport in the US?

I have been reading the official web pages and the green card could be received within 6 month, no later than that.

Regards,

Lisbeth

Hi!

The medical is about two hours ( depends on how many people are in the centre) urine sample blood test ( the new Zealand doctor has a magic hand with needles) chest ex and general check. Read the information on the official website site.

The interview is almost 3 hours. The people in the first windows who request all the documentation are very strict but then you will feel relaxed when the interviewer makes you few questions about your expectations plan and reason to apply.

Bring bank statements! And register with dx group the carrier service for the US visa.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Hope this helps

Regards

Lisbeth

I presume you mean total time in the consulate is arouhd 3 hours, not that the interview itself goes on for 3 hours!!! Most people seem to spend less than ten minutes in the actual interview.

Ok.

If my intention is to live in Florida but my first trip to USA is New York is that a problem?

Could I activate the visa and give my visa package to immigration at any airport in the US?

I have been reading the official web pages and the green card could be received within 6 month, no later than that.

Regards,

Lisbeth

No problem at all doing that. Once you enter your immigrant visa, now stamped, becomes a temporary green card valid for a year. The plastic green cards usually take 2-3 months to arrive, some lucky people get theirs sooner, if it takes longer you should contact uscis to follow up.

Timeline

Yes! total time in the US embassy. The actual interview is less than 10 minutes. I took a little bit longer with the interviewer as I was not able to register with the certified courier service and they helped me out with that.

This is it! The experience was very good.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Ok.

Regards,

Lisbeth

You can enter through any airport but give your Florida address to the immigration officers who open the sealed envelope. I received my green card in under 45 days but with the SSN arrives less than a week after you arrive if everything works as it should. Remember to confirm the address including ZIP code. My green card was misplaced because i gave a wrong ZIP code. All the best

Filed I-130 : 11 Mar 2016

I-130 Priority date : 15 Mar 2016

Approved: 03 Jun 2016

Case Complete: 24 Aug 2016

Interview date assigned: 29 Sep 2016

Interview: Nov 2016

https://guriixusjourney.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hello!

I am really sorry to bother you again!

The time is approaching and I want to be clear about how to proceed!

I will go to New York just to activate my status and once I finish work contract I will plan my relocation to Miami.

Some people tell me that I need to be in US for the social security and green card arrive and only then I can leave the country.

On the other hand I have a friend who entered to the US with diversity visa and she only got a seal and the letters ARC I don't know if that means extension for one year.

Finally I have been in contact with a recruiter agency and they are not fully aware about the requirement from the employers in the USA so the recommended me to wait until I get all my documents to start with the job application as they usually want the staff immediately.

If someone has the information to give some guidance please!!

Thanks in advance

Lisbeth

Hello!

I am really sorry to bother you again!

The time is approaching and I want to be clear about how to proceed!

I will go to New York just to activate my status and once I finish work contract I will plan my relocation to Miami.

Some people tell me that I need to be in US for the social security and green card arrive and only then I can leave the country.

On the other hand I have a friend who entered to the US with diversity visa and she only got a seal and the letters ARC I don't know if that means extension for one year.

Finally I have been in contact with a recruiter agency and they are not fully aware about the requirement from the employers in the USA so the recommended me to wait until I get all my documents to start with the job application as they usually want the staff immediately.

If someone has the information to give some guidance please!!

Thanks in advance

Lisbeth

You don't "need" to wait for anything, and note that your immigrant visa once stamped (or "endorsed") becomes a temporary green card (I551) for a year after entry. If you read the small print at the bottom of the visa you will see this. It normally takes around 2 months for the plastic green card to be sent. The social security card is usually quick, less than 2 weeks. However sometimes the SS card is not sent and you cannot sort it out and get a SS number in that case if you are not physically present in the US, so it is probably safer to at least stay until you know your SS number.

If you want to job hunt, your endorsed visa and SS number are all you legally need for employers to check that you are allowed to work. It is always easier to job hunt from within the US than abroad. Also, if your recruitment agency doesn't know what employers require, then I'd suggest you look for another one. Depending on your line of work, you may find work just as easily using online sites like Indeed or LinkedIn rather than using an agency.

Timeline

Butter pecan that means that I have to stay in USA 45 days to receive my docs y only then I can work??

Butter pecan that means that I have to stay in USA 45 days to receive my docs y only then I can work??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

You can work as soon as you get your SSN. Your SSN and your endorsed visa are all you need to work.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.