mcarther101

I-751 + Name Change?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife and I are due for our I-751 to be filed in December. She changed her maiden name to mine with the social security administration after receiving her initial green card following the first interview; all paperwork filed with USCIS so far has been with her maiden name. Our son has my last name and we want to all share the same family last name on all of our documents.

1. Will listing our family last name on I-751 part 1 cause problems so long as she lists her maiden name under part 2?

2. Do we need to provide any additional documentation (i.e. her new social security card showing our family last name)?

3. Are there other forms we should include along with I-751 to affect the name change on file with USCIS for her green card?

4. Are there additional fees we need to pay in addition to the I-751 $505 filing fee and $85 biometric fee?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not sure why you did not apply for AOS in the married name to begin with, but.. list married name in Part 1 and then under 'Other Names Used' list the maiden name. The instructions do not state what to include for a name change, but you can make a note of the fact that she is now using her married name, and provide a copy of the marriage certificate. That is the legal name change document to show for change of name through marriage.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

On our marriage certificate it still says her maiden name. When we got married, I didn't know better to change her name at that time. I was worried about it messing up paperwork on file with USCIS so we didn't change her last name anywhere except with the social security administration on her social security card after our son was born.

On our marriage certificate it still says her maiden name. When we got married, I didn't know better to change her name at that time. I was worried about it messing up paperwork on file with USCIS so we didn't change her last name anywhere except with the social security administration on her social security card after our son was born.

My marriage certificate also has my maiden name, but it is not the name but the document which serves the purpose of changing your name officially to your married name. So as you were told, just use her new name and include the marriage certificate stating that she changed her maiden name to her married name after getting the green card.

I used my marriage certificate on my AOS to change my maiden name to a married name. So all my documents had my maiden name and just by using my marriage certificate I was allowed to use my married name on all my forms for AOS, I had no problem doing that.

AOS:

Sent AOS Package: Feb 2014

Received Green Card: September 2014

ROC:

Sent ROC Package: Sep 2016

Approved: Feb 2018 

N400:

Filed: 7/9/19 online

Bios: 7/29/19

Interview: 12/10/19

Oath: 01/07/2020

July 2019  N400 spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19rv0w-Ls_-225a0AqzhsTObXb2DcT07oACpdIHhn9dE/edit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Many states do not list the name you wish to use after you are married. They will only the show the name at the time of getting the license. That is normal, and the marriage certificate still acts as the legal name change document when changing name through marriage. This is often talked about in the AOS forum here on VJ.

Anyway, past is done. Just use the married name now on the I-751 so her 10 year card will come in the married name she wants to actually use from now on.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 5 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Our marriage certificate also is still in my maiden name,and when we went to the municipal and asked if we can change it to my married name,but it cant.

Now that is my problem also we did changed now to married name my social security and drivers lic.And we are trying to get or join me in my husband's bank account but my GC doesnt match with my id's.We dont know what to do also if we will wait nextyear to remove my conditional residence or try to change it now at the uscis.We were worrying that we will going to have a problem in the future because of it.

Does any news or update about your case mcarther 101?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.