VanessaTony

B1/B2 Visa - Australia - Criminal history - Few ties

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Morning all!

It's been a while since I've been on this forum so I'm not sure if things have changed much since I've been on these boards so thought I'd post here for advice. I don't have a positive feeling about this situation so I'm mostly hoping you guys can help me feel less worried!!

I live in Iowa (naturalised USC) with my husband. My sister and her family are visiting at Christmas this year for 2 weeks (just a little bit less actually as they're going to Canada for a wedding in the new year). Absolutely no problem with any of them coming (immigration wise, they've got the VWP sorted). However, my brother is going to come as well, or would like to, HE is the concern.

We believe that we need to apply for a visitor visa because we did a police check and he has a "gun charge" on his record from about 4 years ago (possession of a BB gun, we can get the criminal report if you think that's a good idea). He didn't have to serve any jail time or anything, it was just a fine. The arrest though tends to preclude him from using the VWP (I would expect, unless you can think of a reason it wouldn't). I don't believe the situation itself precludes him from visiting though.

The problem with applying for the visitor visa becomes "ties". He is presently unemployed. He is living with a friend (we could probably get a rental agreement). He has no wife/girlfriend/significant other or child/ren. His flights are going to be paid for by my sister as a Christmas/birthday present, and while here my husband and I will support him together with my sister and her family. My mother isn't in the best health but he doesn't care for her and she's not coming (we could possibly get a letter about her health). We have another sister with a child and neither are coming (nor would she write something for him). Our father passed away 4 years ago and we have no surviving grandparents.

We can only put the best foot forward that we can so our plan is:

1. Letter of invitation/responsibility from myself (I work in the legal profession and of course the fact I legally immigrated) and my husband (Veteran Marine). We are expecting a baby boy at the beginning of December which is the other reason for the visit so I'll include ultrasound pics and documents showing expected due date.

2. Letter of responsibility from my sister and her husband (both in highly respected positions, my sisters even more so)

3. Rental agreement?

4. Criminal record explanation

5. Health documents re mother (not sure if this is possible but we can try)

6. Itinerary of anticipated flight (to show only staying a short period)

7. Proof of families flights

I really don't like our chances honestly. I'm hoping his interviewer takes pity on him or sees the situation for what it is, he TRULY has no plans to stay here. If he's denied at least we tried and keep his options open for a time he gets more ties but it still sucks :(

Can anyone see something I can't or have some advice for something they think might be beneficial? Do you think they'd allow my sister or her husband attend the interview with him (not necessarily actually interview but be there?). Would they call me do you think? That would be okay too of course.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give us!

Hi there!

Please look over the VWP/ESTA questions really good before your brother decides to apply for a tourist visa. I'd give the ESTA a go first before setting up visa interview.

Good luck!

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You can still try ESTA and disclose the record as appropriate and see what happens. If he is denied and applied for a visa, you're right, his ties don't look great, but at the same time Australia is pretty low-fraud so he has that going for him

ESTA might be worth a shot if the incident was 4 years back and was not a jailable offense. If he goes for a B2, those letters are unlikely to be looked at. He carries the official police report that details the charges against him and the resolution to the interview. Good luck!

Edited by KierenHby

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does not sound like a CIMT? Assuming it is not ESTA all the way.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thanks everyone! I recognise a lot of your names too :)

I was thinking ESTA (and I just looked again and it looks like the application site has changed from when I last looked at it) but last time I looked one of the questions was "have you ever been arrested" which is where our concern arose from.

You know, I think you're all right... worst we stand to lose from applying for ESTA is him being denied (plus the fee) and he'd just have to apply for a visa. Good call. Okay that's the first plan of action when we get his passport application finalized (it's been a bit of a process!).

It isn't a CIMT thankfully and could have been much worse (he was not spending time with the best people which has since, understandably, changed somewhat!)

Yeah I figured letters were still kinda junk (they were back in the day) but at the very least it would have all of our contact information on it in case they needed more information/verification. Also, to be completely honest, because the nature of my sisters job (quite high up in the legal field) and my brother-in-law's title/profession/security clearance didn't think it would hurt to show they're not the kind of people to go around breaking laws.

Will tell them to get all the police record/report stuff together just in case as well and get the "packet" together.

Thanks again :)

Filed: Timeline

According to Nolo Legal Materials they list CIMT (Crime of Moral Turpitude) as the following:

• murder
  • voluntary manslaughter
  • involuntary manslaughter, in some cases
  • rape
  • spousal abuse
  • child abuse
  • incest
  • kidnapping
  • robbery
  • aggravated assault
  • mayhem
  • animal fighting
  • theft
  • fraud, and
  • conspiracy, attempt, or acting as an accessory to a crime if that crime involved moral turpitude.

Possession of a BB Gun does not appear to fall under any of these categories. I'm really curious about that charge because usually you only see it if a BB Gun is brought into a firearms restricted area or brandished in public and is mistaken for a real firearm. Does Australia have that restrictive firearms or simulation firearms laws?

Anyway, try the ESTA and then go for plan B if that doesn't work.

Timeline

VWP has never said no arrests, qualified.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

According to Nolo Legal Materials they list CIMT (Crime of Moral Turpitude) as the following:

• murder
  • voluntary manslaughter
  • rape
  • spousal abuse
  • child abuse
  • incest
  • kidnapping
  • robbery
  • aggravated assault
  • mayhem
  • animal fighting
  • theft
  • fraud, and
  • conspiracy, attempt, or acting as an accessory to a crime if that crime involved moral turpitude.

Possession of a BB Gun does not appear to fall under any of these categories. I'm really curious about that charge because usually you only see it if a BB Gun is brought into a firearms restricted area or brandished in public and is mistaken for a real firearm. Does Australia have that restrictive firearms or simulation firearms laws?

Yeah they do. It's a category H firearm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia#Firearms_categories Long and short of the incident is: an acquaintance was arrested for theft/burglary and when asked about the property he stole, he told police it was at a bunch of people's houses so they carried out searches on those houses, one of which was my brother/parents house. My brother had my dads air rifle in his room (unloaded, no ammo/pellets) and that was sufficient for a gun possession charge, but because it was so minor that's why it was only a (larger than normal) fine.

• murder
  • voluntary manslaughter
  • rape
  • spousal abuse
  • child abuse
  • incest
  • kidnapping
  • robbery
  • aggravated assault
  • mayhem - I thought to myself, "What the France is mayhem?". I'd only heard of it in mystery novels and on TV but never thought of the official definition (beyond "rowdy" behaviour). As it turns out, it refers to maiming a victim. Like shooting them in the leg so they can't run away or cutting off their hands so they can't untie themselves. Really gruesome stuff but you learn something on VJ every day!
  • animal fighting
  • theft
  • fraud, and

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Timeline

VWP has never said no arrests, qualified.

I think the wording was something like "have you ever been arrested and/or convicted" but perhaps if that sentence ended with "with a CIMT" then I've got nothing to worry about!

Edited by VanessaTony

Timeline

Yeah they do. It's a category H firearm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia#Firearms_categories Long and short of the incident is: an acquaintance was arrested for theft/burglary and when asked about the property he stole, he told police it was at a bunch of people's houses so they carried out searches on those houses, one of which was my brother/parents house. My brother had my dads air rifle in his room (unloaded, no ammo/pellets) and that was sufficient for a gun possession charge, but because it was so minor that's why it was only a (larger than normal) fine.

Hmm, wonder what they would think if the looked under my bed!

Filed: Timeline

Damn, that really is restrictive. My personal opinion is that your brother should never have been charged in the first place. What a bunch of ____ the police were. Did the father have a legal right to own a BB Gun? Doesn't matter. Done is done but remind me never to go near a firearm in Australia.

Hmm, wonder what they would think if the looked under my bed!

Probably lock you up and throw away the key.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

The question on the ESTA application is:

" Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offence or crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority; or ever violated any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?"

I am pretty sure he can safely answer NO to that.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

I dunno, you may think it's restrictive to get charged for owning a BB gun but yet here in the US you can be shot dead for having one sooo

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.