livvyNZ

Visiting the States twice while waiting for my K-1 visa.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

My partner and I are still in the early days of the visa process. I spent three months in the U.S this summer where we got engaged. I'm back in New Zealand working as a registered nurse and are wanting to go over in October for two weeks to see him, then visit again at Xmas for a couple of weeks. I have a letter from my hospital stating I am still employed there and obviously a return ticket will be bought. My question is, am I best to go just the once or if I have strong ties to NZ then both times should be fine? Thanks :dancing:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I visited twice, no issues. Both were for 10 days, like most of my visits in the past. Proof of ties and pending I129f are good to have in your pocket, but I never needed it.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

You can definitely visit. Only show any proof of ties if asked for it.

Answer only what you are being asked, never volunteer information. :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My husband and I were able to enter the states while we were applying as well. I think you should be fine. I think the letter from the hospital is a great idea tho. Its always better to be safe and have more evidence of ties to your current country of residence

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've entered the United States multiple times for extended visits with my fiance since last year, and a fourth time for a very brief time. Three months last summer, briefly in October, two months in the winter, and I'm currently here for a little over two months again. My current trip was the only time entering with the K-1 visa being submitted.

All three times entering the U.S, I had very little of what would be considered strong ties to my country (Canada). I would say that strong ties were pretty much non existent. I brought paperwork for the little amount of ties that I did have - doctors appointments, a scheduled surgery on one of the visits, return ticket, travel insurance that expired for the time I was planning to leave.

The first time coming to visit my fiance, I was questioned a bit more than what I assume is normal. The second time, I was just asked routine questions and was wished a good trip and sent on my way. The third time, my total interaction with the border guard was probably about a minute. The fourth, and current time, I was questioned the most and probably asked about two dozen or more questions.

I've never been asked to show anything besides a return ticket every time.

Based on my experience, I haven't had any issue with coming here multiple times for extended periods of times with little ties to my country. Based on my experience with the border guards, they seemed like they more so wanted to assess me in their questioning to determine if I had honest intentions and was being upfront with them. I have nothing to hide and always plan to return to my country. So, I just go and hope that they'll see that and let me in.

My partner and I are still in the early days of the visa process. I spent three months in the U.S this summer where we got engaged. I'm back in New Zealand working as a registered nurse and are wanting to go over in October for two weeks to see him, then visit again at Xmas for a couple of weeks. I have a letter from my hospital stating I am still employed there and obviously a return ticket will be bought. My question is, am I best to go just the once or if I have strong ties to NZ then both times should be fine? Thanks :dancing:

There is a very long sticky thread on this (check the latest posts to see how more recent visits have turned out)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

I travelled a couple of times after applying for k1 and had no issues (the fact that I was visiting my fiancee didn't arise so k1 wasn't discussed) but others where it was discussed had no issues. You're from a low risk country, you have letter from employer (ties to home) and a copy of your NOA1 or anything else to show you are in k1 process is good too, as it shows you're intending to get married after the correct k1 procedure rather than on the current trip. I doubt you'll have any problems at all.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't see an edit button for my previous post. So, I'll update on it here. Some people who may read my post in the future may be brought to believe that they can embark on multiple long term trips to the U.S.

However, as a Canadian citizen, I am afforded the opportunity to visit the U.S. for up to 180/181 days per year I believe it is without a visa (if a border guard allows you to - it's a privilege, not a right). This does not necessarily apply to the vast majority of other Visa exempt countries who are part of the Visa Waiver Program, where I believe they can only visit the U.S. for a combined total of 90 days in any 365 day period.

So, it's important to verify how long you're allowed to actually be present in the U.S, depending on your citizenship status or your current visa status, to avoid being turned around at the border for trying to stay too long or to avoid an overstay on your record if already in the U.S.

On my most recent entry into the U.S, they stated I was spending a lot of time here and asked if I aware of how long I'm allowed to be here if they let me in and I told them 180 days as a Canadian citizen and then they moved on from that question. I'm guessing they wanted to see if I was aware of the laws of how long I was allowed here.

For long term visits, you may also be questioned on how you plan to support yourself. So, I'd assume it's important to have an amount of money saved that is a reasonable amount compared to how long you plan to stay. I was asked this for 2/3 of my entries for long term visits. I had brought copies of my bank statements to demonstrate access to sufficient funds to support myself. But, was never asked to actually see them - only a verbal declaration of how much money I had. If you don't have much money saved, it could be an issue for longer trips to the U.S. I had one gentleman next to me being asked how he plans to support himself with twenty dollars for over a month. I'm not sure what happened with him, though.

Edited by Stagnant Sloth

I was stopped at the border entering the US from Canada back in July, prior to beginning this process, and I was denied entry. Since then I have entered multiple times, but each time I have had to go through secondary screening.

The documents I took included a letter from my manager stating I would be returning to work on company letterhead; a copy of my schedule while I was away and upon my return to Canada, showing I took vacation time; copies of bank statements that show I currently have a student loan I am repaying; copies of my phone bill for the past three months; and pay stubs from work for the past three-four pay periods; and a packing list that shows EVERYTHING packed in my luggage and carry on. The more documents you show, the better, but if the inspecting officer is in a good mood they will often not look further than the documents proving you are employed. The reason I take my packing list is because often they will look it over and see I didn't pack enough to make a big move - just make sure the list is exactly what is in your bag, or close to exact, in case they do decide to search it. You should also take the copy of your NOA1 (just in case), however on my last two trips I took a copy of the entire completed copy of the i-129F and the NOA1, which demonstrates I am all about doing things the right way.

However, when you are crossing the border, I recommend answering the questions you are being asked and do not provide additional unnecessary information, like you have a visa in the works. A lot of the time, your answers don't have to be a sentence more than 5 words long. I took the visa application and NOA1 with me, but the inspecting officer never even found out about the visa because they never mentioned it, so I never mentioned it I have learned my past few times in secondary that there is absolutely nothing to be worried about, because I have nothing to hide. If you are extremely nervous, tell the officer that. I though I was going to have a mental breakdown my first time in secondary (that place is scary!) and I told the officer dealing with me that I was extremely nervous and she instantly became more pleasant for me to deal with. :)

I hope you have a fantastic trip to the States! Good luck with everything! :)

K1 Visa Timline                                               AOS Timeline

2016/08/11: I-129F Package Sent                   2017/02/09: AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent

2016/08/17: NOA1 Received                          2017/02/23: NOA1 Received

2016/10/04: NOA2 Received                          2017/03/23: Biometrics Appointment

2016/10/21: NVC Received                            2017/04/06: Request to Expedite EAD

2016/10/24: Case # Assigned                        2017/04/12: Letter for Expedite Request Received 

2016/11/01: Consulate Received                    2017/04/13: Response to Letter Faxed

2016/11/01: Packet 3 Sent                           2017/04/19: EAD Expedite Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/11/04: Packet 4 Received                     2017/04/24: EAD/AP Card Mailed

2016/12/09: Medical                                     2017/04/26: EAD/AP Card Received

2016/12/21: Interview!! APPROVED               2017/09/08: AOS Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/12/23: Visa Issued                               2017/09/15: Conditional Greencard Received

2016/12/28: Visa Received

2016/12/31: POE as a K1!

2017/01/20: Wedding Day!!!

ROC Timeline:

2019/06/29: ROC Package Sent

2019/07/05: NOA1 Received

2019/10/25: Biometrics Appointment

I've also visited twice, I only got back last week! Both for two week visits.

I took proof our K1 in progress and a letter from my employer stating that I was on approved vacation time and expected back in the office on xxxxx date.

CBP officer didn't even care and I didn't have to show any of it! Better to have it though and not need it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should be fine. I'm currently visiting my fiancé right now and I'm at the halfway mark of my application. They didn't ask me anything just how long I planned to stay! Hope you encounter an easy border official as well!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.