anon_e_mous

Help with Change of Address during K1 AOS

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey guys,

long time lurker, first time poster. Anyways my wife is from France, and we just moved to California from Texas where we started the I-485 AOS process with I-765 and I-131. Right before my wife moved to our new address to meet me (I moved to start work before she moved, because we expected her EAD and AP card soon and she had to take care of packing the rest of our stuff and getting it moved) the EAD and AP combo card arrived. Now, we want to change her address using the AR-11 Change of Address system online. However, when filling it out, it asks if the case is still pending. Technically the I-485 is pending, but it asks for all cases/forms and respective receipt numbers. Should I put in the I-485 form and its receipt number alone or should I add the I-765 and I-131 forms with their respective receipt numbers. I looked at doing the change for a case that is not pending and it doesn't let me enter a receipt number so I know I don't do that. So, can you guys please tell me what I need to do for my wife to change the address correctly. Do I need to provide all 3 forms and their respective receipt numbers when I fill out the form online, or do I need to just provide the I485 form and its receipt number. Thanks in advance for your help fellow visa strugglers.

Anon3Mous

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The only one still pending is the I-485. The other two have been approved, card produced and received already.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to AOS from Family Based Visas - topic is AOS, not K-1 ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

The only one still pending is the I-485. The other two have been approved, card produced and received already.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to AOS from Family Based Visas - topic is AOS, not K-1 ~

should I not be changing the address for the EAD and AP though? that is my confusion. What would happen if I did provide the receipt number when changing the address for the pending I-485?

Thank you for the help by the way. I really appreciate it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am not sure I follow. The EAD/AP was already received, so the forms are not still pending. There is no risk of the EAD/AP being accidentally sent to the old address because you have them already.

Filling out the AR-11 will changed the address in their system. It doesn't just do it form by form.

The only one still pending is the I-485. That is the one you list. And you should also call them a couple weeks after filing the AR-11 to make sure the address is definitely changed in their system. You do not want notices(such as to appear for interview), or the actual green card(if approved without interview) to be sent to the wrong address. And depending on how far you move, it could change the location of your local USCIS office, where a potential interview would take place.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I am not sure I follow. The EAD/AP was already received, so the forms are not still pending. There is no risk of the EAD/AP being accidentally sent to the old address because you have them already.

Filling out the AR-11 will changed the address in their system. It doesn't just do it form by form.

The only one still pending is the I-485. That is the one you list. And you should also call them a couple weeks after filing the AR-11 to make sure the address is definitely changed in their system. You do not want notices(such as to appear for interview), or the actual green card(if approved without interview) to be sent to the wrong address. And depending on how far you move, it could change the location of your local USCIS office, where a potential interview would take place.

Thank you. I will do as you suggest. I was just confused because I thought there was an address attached to the EAD and AP account and didn't want stuff to be mailed to that address a year from now when it expires and need to renew if we still haven't got the green card by then. Luckily we last lived at my sister's place so if mail does accidentally get sent there (although it shouldn't since we forwarded everything to our new place in California with USPS, but you know how bad they are at doing everything correctly).

So, changing the address for the pending I-485 will change the address for anything related to my wife's AOS process, even including stuff regarding the EAD and AP? I keep asking about that because I wasn't sure if there is an address that needs to be attached to the EAD and AP just in case they need to get in contact with her about the card or something.

Anyways thanks for help with the original question and maybe you can answer the quick one above. I am very appreciative of you taking the time to answer my question. My wife and I both thank you very much.

Regards,

Anon

Timeline

Hey sorry for the quick reply back. I was going to start the online form to change the address and was reading over the instructions again and found on another page that it says this "Step 2: Change your address on any pending or recently approved applications or petitions, online OR by phone at 1-800-375-5283. For TTY (deaf or hard of hearing) call: 1-800-767-1833." Since the EAD and AP were recently approved applications/petitions should, I take from that quote that I also need to be changing the address for that separately from I-485. Can we get more people on this question to help and get y'alls view point. Hopefully we can get someone who has experienced the same thing as my wife and I. Thanks in advance.

Anon

Timeline

KayDeeCee,

Sorry for another question, but hopefully you can answer this next question regarding what I, the U.S. Citizen, has to do for the change of address. Do I need to fill out the AR-11 myself, do another form, or do nothing? Thank you

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

KayDeeCee,

Sorry for another question, but hopefully you can answer this next question regarding what I, the U.S. Citizen, has to do for the change of address. Do I need to fill out the AR-11 myself, do another form, or do nothing? Thank you

I'm not KDC, but the US Citizen petitioner/sponsor needs to file a Form I-865, Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address, while s/he has any outstanding active I-864.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.