thejusts

SSN for K1 fiance

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi all, so my fiance has arrived and two weeks have passed. We are going to my local SS agency this week. I'm looking at the application form and it says:

"If you check legal alien not allowed to work or other, you must provide a document from a US federal, state or local government agency that explains why you need a SSN."
does anyone know what this means and what document we may need to provide?
Thanks!

1/17/2019.........Mailed ROC package via USPS, two day shipping to Dallas, TX

1/19/2019........Package delivered

1/22/19............Case Received

1/28/2019........Received text from USCIS with case received information and receipt number

1/28/2019........Bank check was cashed 

3/4/2019..........Submitted e-request for non-delivery of receipt notice

3/15/2019........Received email confirmation that a duplicate receipt was in its way

3/23/2019.........Received 18 month extension letter in the mail

7/5/2019...........Biometrics completed

3/11/2020........Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview Status Online. As of 4/13 we have not received any notifications

K1 Visa in passport and I-94 normally suffices to show they should get an SSN.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

What NLR states above + print out this

This also tells you what to bring but not all SSN offices are going to be easy going with applying for one or don't know what visas can apply and what not. They might be a little difficult so take that page with you as a statement that you are allowed to apply for one.

Edited by stephadams

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Timeline

Ok, so we do check the box that says "legal alien allowed to work"? That was confusing. Thanks all!!

1/28/2019........Received text from USCIS with case received information and receipt number

3/15/2019........Received email confirmation that a duplicate receipt was in its way

3/11/2020........Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview Status Online. As of 4/13 we have not received any notifications

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok, so we do check the box that says "legal alien allowed to work"? That was confusing. Thanks all!!

No. Legal alien...not allowed to work.

The I94 and K1 are the documents that shows she needs a ssn.

Edited by Shauneg

Timeline

No. Legal alien...not allowed to work.

The I94 and K1 are the documents that shows she needs a ssn.

Ok. Thanks. I'm still confused because the link below says "Legal alien allowed to work" next to K1: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Check "Legal Allowed to work" The card will come with a statement at the top that says something along the lines of "valid for work only with DHS Authorization". Once you are married you can have that statement removed. At that point you will show the EAD or Green Card.

My wife came here on K1 and that's what we did. In fact, we just went to SS office today to have her last name changed.

Good Luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Check "Legal Allowed to work" The card will come with a statement at the top that says something along the lines of "valid for work only with DHS Authorization". Once you are married you can have that statement removed. At that point you will show the EAD or Green Card.

My wife came here on K1 and that's what we did. In fact, we just went to SS office today to have her last name changed.

Good Luck!

I did "not allowed" and got the same thing. Guess it doesn't matter...who knows.

Timeline

Thanks all. SS comes in the mail in 2 weeks. She did ask why my fiance needed it since he cant work yet. I just showed her my printed copy of that page from SS pointing out that a K1 visa holder can apply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks all. SS comes in the mail in 2 weeks. She did ask why my fiance needed it since he cant work yet. I just showed her my printed copy of that page from SS pointing out that a K1 visa holder can apply.

Simplest answer is you need it to open a bank account.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.