FOSSLGRL

Very annoyed with this RFE... not sure exactly what to send!

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I want to start by saying I exercised extreme attention to detail and went through our initial application with a fine tooth comb.

I included everything which (I thought) I could possibly include.

I followed the guildelines on this website to a "T" when I prepared the package and ensured I would be one step ahead of whoever was reviewing it.

But apparently that wasn't enough.

We received an RFE in the mail today.

They are requesting the following:

1) Proof we have met in person (prior to the application)

2) Proof that I (the beneficiary) intend to marry him once I move to the US

For #1, I already submitted like a dozen different photo's of us together with different dates. I also submitted email exchanges where we discussed things regarding where we were staying together at the time. We didn't fly across the border, we drove, so I don't have flight tickets as proof. There are a couple of hotels but they were only under one of our names and quite frankly I can't even remember where we stayed, and I doubt I could pull up proof of that now, even with a receipt, how could I prove we were both at the hotel? We stayed with my parents (who are already US citizens) initially so I don't have any actual paperwork. Our passports were NOT stamped when we crossed the border, so I can't use that.

For #2, I wrote a letter with my intent to marry him and signed it. Maybe I should have signed it in blood?

Of course I don't have any proof of wedding plans because I am not going to plan a wedding before the visa has even been approved, before I even know when the heck I'm getting back down there. Though we were planning to go to a justice of the peace immediately after my return and plan the formal ceremony for next summer. But how on earth can I prove that?

The only thing I can think to do is get statements from my parents... but even that, doesn't seem like it would be believable.

My fiancee just visited me for two wonderful weeks here in Canada so I do have that flight ticket, but they want proof that we met BEFORE the application was sent. I really have no way of proving it, but I lived with him for 6 months before returning to Canada. In fact, I overstayed in the US before deciding that the right thing to do was to come back. (we couldn't marry while i was down there because his ex wife would not cooperate with their divorce initially... (despite the fact she left him years ago)) ... anyways, that finally got settled after I came back to Canada and we sent our forms in ASAP.

I'm just highly annoyed because I've already sent everything I can. They want flight tickets or passport stamps... well that's not possible for me.

What would you all suggest I do?

Pictures are only secondary evidence, so not enough to prove you have met within the past 2 years.

Things that could work since you don't have stamps: credit card statements with purchases made in your city, tickets.

You can write down a timeline. Ex: 1st visit 04/03/2016 to 04/10/2016 - Montreal Canada

Petitioner, xxxx, drove through the xxx border patrol to meet xxxx, beneficiary.

Copy of cc statement highlighted with a purchase in the area with a description ex bought meal for 2 at xxx restaurant at xxx city

Pictures of the 2 of you in the same city, with description

That may help.

As for the intention to marry letter, just send it again, I'd send both again, and make sure you're going to marry within the 90 days of entry

Good luck

Timeline

Pictures are only secondary evidence, so not enough to prove you have met within the past 2 years.

Things that could work since you don't have stamps: credit card statements with purchases made in your city, tickets.

You can write down a timeline. Ex: 1st visit 04/03/2016 to 04/10/2016 - Montreal Canada

Petitioner, xxxx, drove through the xxx border patrol to meet xxxx, beneficiary.

Copy of cc statement highlighted with a purchase in the area with a description ex bought meal for 2 at xxx restaurant at xxx city

Pictures of the 2 of you in the same city, with description

That may help.

As for the intention to marry letter, just send it again, I'd send both again, and make sure you're going to marry within the 90 days of entry

Good luck

Credit card statements... brilliant! Haha... I even opened a BOA account down there. Gosh I am glad I made a post here. Cheers for your advice, you have me on the right track!

And sorry for my scattered/uneasy frame of mind! I've been going crazy since I had to move away from him ;)

Credit card statements... brilliant! Haha... I even opened a BOA account down there. Gosh I am glad I made a post here. Cheers for your advice, you have me on the right track!

And sorry for my scattered/uneasy frame of mind! I've been going crazy since I had to move away from him ;)

Don't let that halter you and go make sure those silly heads at uscis understand that you've met. Sometimes they need it spelled out for them...

Best of luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Hi Fosslgrl,

the other thing that comes on my mind regarding #2 is sending:

- inquiry conversations/ emails that you sent to wedding providers, such as photographers, jewelry places, venues, wedding cake shops

- conversations/ emails between you and your fiance where you discuss specific wedding plans, including potential dates, wedding scenarios, budget, guest list etc

- receipts of purchased wedding dress, or proof of ordered items such as wedding bands

Hope it's helpful.

Good luck! :dancing:

I want to start by saying I exercised extreme attention to detail and went through our initial application with a fine tooth comb.

I included everything which (I thought) I could possibly include.

I followed the guildelines on this website to a "T" when I prepared the package and ensured I would be one step ahead of whoever was reviewing it.

But apparently that wasn't enough.

We received an RFE in the mail today.

They are requesting the following:

1) Proof we have met in person (prior to the application)

For #1, I already submitted like a dozen different photo's of us together with different dates. I also submitted email exchanges where we discussed things regarding where we were staying together at the time. We didn't fly across the border, we drove, so I don't have flight tickets as proof. There are a couple of hotels but they were only under one of our names and quite frankly I can't even remember where we stayed, and I doubt I could pull up proof of that now, even with a receipt, how could I prove we were both at the hotel? We stayed with my parents (who are already US citizens) initially so I don't have any actual paperwork. Our passports were NOT stamped when we crossed the border, so I can't use that.

For #2, I wrote a letter with my intent to marry him and signed it. Maybe I should have signed it in blood?

Of course I don't have any proof of wedding plans because I am not going to plan a wedding before the visa has even been approved, before I even know when the heck I'm getting back down there. Though we were planning to go to a justice of the peace immediately after my return and plan the formal ceremony for next summer. But how on earth can I prove that?

The only thing I can think to do is get statements from my parents... but even that, doesn't seem like it would be believable.

My fiancee just visited me for two wonderful weeks here in Canada so I do have that flight ticket, but they want proof that we met BEFORE the application was sent. I really have no way of proving it, but I lived with him for 6 months before returning to Canada. In fact, I overstayed in the US before deciding that the right thing to do was to come back. (we couldn't marry while i was down there because his ex wife would not cooperate with their divorce initially... (despite the fact she left him years ago)) ... anyways, that #### finally got settled after I came back to Canada and we sent our forms in ASAP.

I'm just highly annoyed because I've already sent everything I can. They want flight tickets or passport stamps... well that's not possible for me.

Edited by smj59
“Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”
– Maya Angelou

Timeline

Hi Fosslgrl,

the other thing that comes on my mind regarding #2 is sending:

- inquiry emails to wedding providers, such as photographers, jewelry places, venues, wedding cake shops

- conversations/ emails between you and your fiance where you discuss specific wedding plans, including potential dates, wedding scenarios, budget, guest list etc

- receipts of purchased wedding dress, or proof of ordered items such as wedding bands

Hope it's helpful.

Good luck! :dancing:

Thanks. I haven't formally inquired about anything yet, but I do know I want to get married in Seattle on a yacht. I already have the company and ship picked out, but again, haven't made any calls, I wanted to wait until I was actually down there before getting a quote etc.

I also have my engagement/wedding ring already. It's a two-in one ring. A snake that wraps twice around my finger so no need for a wedding band. The thing is, fiancee is a professional jeweler and he made it himself in his shop... so there's no receipts or out of pocket costs, he used it from his own scrap gold and diamonds. I suppose I can take a picture of it? But that seems like grasping at straws.

Still, I have a few ideas now from this thread. And you mention email exchanges about our wedding plans. Another brilliant idea!!! I've sent my mom so many emails about how I want our wedding to be... and I've also mentioned through email about justice of the peace shortly after getting back down there. So I am going to start digging through my emails right now!!

Cheers. Thanks everyone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

We added the receipts for hotels even if they were only in his name. The dates showed that he had actually been in my country at the time which matched our other info about us meeting in person. No idea if it made a difference or not, but we rather wanted to send a bit too much than too little. ^_^

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

I wonder if there was something wrong with the intent to marry. Did you have your fiance do an intent to marry as well? You need to send one for you and one for him.

Was the letter dated, and was the letter dated recently? Used ink and it wasn't a photocopy of the original, but the original letters themselves? It's possible they may have misplaced the letter, as for what ever reason, they do lose things.

We didn't have any plans for the wedding itself until before his interview. We had an engagement ring, but we never sent a receipt for it, nor did we send a picture.

Plans is a loose term, when my husband (fiance at the time) was asked what our plans were at his interview, he just said that we were going to get married at a church downtown with some family and friends attending. There was nothing more than that, and nothing was asked or wanted other than intent to marry letters from BOTH of us, prior to interview.

But yeah, go with credit card receipts, or bank statement and highlight purchases done in his town. While logically, you could have gone to the town and done something else, they take that as more serious evidence than a picture of you two together.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Without passport stamps and boarding passes from flying, you can use the affidavit from his parents stating you stayed there from date- date, bank and credit card statements showing purchases and money withdrawals while in each others cities, hotel receipts and any other receipts/tickets you can think of from your visits. If you have any photos together in front of landmarks, then use those to back up the statements/receipts.

They can misplace or overlook things, so just resend your statement of intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US via the K-1.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Hey! Im in a different situation but i just want to add that we received RFE twice, first time we sent pretty much same things they already had, and looks like second time we will do the same. Second time the officer hand delivered it to us, and i told her that they have pretty much all this already except for things we don't have (like a house, for example) and she said just send it anyway. Also first time they said that my husband doesn't make enough money to be my sponsor but he does and they had proof - it just means that they can make a mistake or may be lost some of you evidences, i don't know. Either way, good luck :) My suggestion is send whatever you already did in case they lost it, also may be write a letter explaining why you don't have stamps in your passports.

Citizenship:

09/15/2020 - Filed online. Estimated completion given - July 2021 (10 months).

January 2021 - biometric reuse letter

April 2021 - interview scheduled

24/05/2021 - Interview (approved)

Passport:

July 23 - applied, expedited service

August 11 - received the passport

Aug. 16 (approximately) - received passport card

August 20 - received citizenship certificate back

Story of my almost 3 years long pending AOS - click below for details

Spoiler

• March 10 2015 - USCIS received i-130/i-485
  • March 30 2015 - got a RFE saying that my husband cannot be my sponsor because of his income, which is not true, but we didn't know what to do so we hired a lawyer.
  • August 10 2015 - interview (went great, by the way). Were told to wait 120 days.
  • December 10 2015, April 10 2016, May 10 2016 - sent SR, responses: "your case is pending"

• May 25 2016 - Went to Info Pass, the case is taken to the supervisor, were told we will get something in 30 days (of course, after 30 days we got nothing....).
  • June 27 2016 - Went to Info Pass again, they told us to wait for 2 more weeks and if we still get nothing send a service request letter by mail. Did it on the same day.
  • June 27 2016 - After Infopass, went to senator Durbin office in Chicago.
  • July 8 2016 - Went to Mike Quigley office.
  • July 8 2016 - Received useless response from Durbin. All they know is that the case is pending and it's in Chicago, can't do anything else.
  • July 12 2016: Infopass, spoke to the supervisor, promises promises.... more wait.
  • July 17 2016: Filed Ombudsman.
  • July 26 2016: Another info pass, same story. We talked to 3 supervisors already! I don't get it!
  • July 29 2016: Sent another useless SR just because.
  • Aug 9 2016: Talked to the officer we had interview with! She was supposed to mail us RFE a year ago but she forgot (!!!) ! They admitted it. Gave us RFE.
  • October 11 2016: Response to RFE is received by uscis (the RFE was ridiculous. Basically all same papers we ALREADY GAVE HER at the interview: bank statements, lease, etc).
  • October 20 2016: Infopass, useless, did not have time to wait for the supervisor.
  • November 9 2016: Infopass, talked to the supervisor, he said there are no problems with our case and he will make sure the officer will make a decision within a few days. Gave us his email and phone number, told us to contact him directly instead of going to info pass.
  • November 15 2016: emailed the supervisor, since a few days have passed and still no decision. No response.
  • November 17 2016: called the supervisor, no answer.
  • November 17 2016: sent Service Request about i-130 (Lol, like that will help..)
  • November 19 2016: sent a letter to the director of Chicago Field Office.
  • November 22 2016: sent Service Request about i-485 (Lol[2])
  • November 23 2016: talked to the supervisor again to learn that..........my medical and fingerprints have expired and i need to wait for a notice to do it all again.
  • November 25 2016: The response from the Field Office Director Martha Medina-Maltes: your case is pending and every effort is being made blah blah blah
  • December 5 2016: Received a response to i-485 SR that my case is "pending supervisor review"... absolutely random since the supervisor said i'll need redo my medical and fingerprints again.
  • December 19 2016: Went to USCIS, the officer came out and told me we need to come back for a 2nd interview!!! I'm shocked because our marriage is 100% real and i can't believe they have doubts about it! But i'm glad that it's at least something.
  • December 27: 2nd interview (Strokes). Reason: i-130 petition. We did fine but the officer said we will receive a NOID! Our lawyer said it must be something else, not our answers... but what?!

• Jan 23 - infopass, asked if anything was mailed regarding i-130. Were told that nothing was.
  • Jan 27 - sent a service request regarding I-130.
  • March 1 2017 - went to uscis (no info pass), our officer's supervisor finally gave us the noid full of nitpicking and lies, that shows that they do not pay attention to anything. 
  • March 10 2017 - 2 years AOS anniversary...wow. 
  • March 31 - The response to the noid is received by uscis!
  • June 1st - went to the office, the supervisor promised we will get the decision in 4-6 weeks.
  • July 19 - 7 weeks passed, went back to uscis. The supervisor said he will give the case to the officer tomorrow, we asked when we will get the decision, he said he doesn't know. 
  • September 6: My husband talked to the supervisor again, he said he gave the case to the other officer, and the case is huge so the officer has a lot to do, and we will get a decision in 2 weeks. 
  • September 25: Went back since no decision was received (as expected). The supervisor said the same thing: we will get a decision in 2 weeks
  • September 29: USCIS asked for medical! Eureka! First time in 2 and a half years they sent something by themselves! :wacko: i-130 still not approved.
  • October 2: Notice that i-130 is approved (notice date September 26, still no online update). Also went to get medical done (should be ready by the end of the week)
  • October 3:  biometrics
  • October 10: medical delivered to uscis! The waiting games begins again :wacko:
  • December 11: 2 months after medical was delivered talked to the supervisor again, he said the decision will be made BY tomorrow and we will find out from the website on Wednesday. 
  • December 14: Called uscis, tier 2 officer told me that the case is approved.
  • December 18: Received Approval notice (Dated December 12)

Long story short:
After the initial interview we received:

1) a RFE asking for the same papers again,

2) then were asked to come to the 2nd interview that went fine of course, 

3) then a NOID that was full of mistakes.

All that was given to us in person, only when we made our way straight to our officer. And still waiting. Lots of fun (not).

4) 6 months after receiving our response to the noid i-130 is approved. 2 years 6 months and 16 days of waiting for i-130. Supposed to take 5 months. No words.

5) After 2 years 9 months and 2 days (or 1008 days) of waiting i-485 is approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Good luck

Don't both the petitioner and beneficiary each need to send a letter?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks. I haven't formally inquired about anything yet, but I do know I want to get married in Seattle on a yacht. I already have the company and ship picked out, but again, haven't made any calls, I wanted to wait until I was actually down there before getting a quote etc.

I also have my engagement/wedding ring already. It's a two-in one ring. A snake that wraps twice around my finger so no need for a wedding band. The thing is, fiancee is a professional jeweler and he made it himself in his shop... so there's no receipts or out of pocket costs, he used it from his own scrap gold and diamonds. I suppose I can take a picture of it? But that seems like grasping at straws.

Still, I have a few ideas now from this thread. And you mention email exchanges about our wedding plans. Another brilliant idea!!! I've sent my mom so many emails about how I want our wedding to be... and I've also mentioned through email about justice of the peace shortly after getting back down there. So I am going to start digging through my emails right now!!

Cheers. Thanks everyone.

We didn't get an RFE, and we sent:

Proving we'd met within two years:

1. A detailed timeline of our meeting/spending time together/relationship history

2. Pictures of us together in various places/both countries.

3. Emails, chat logs, Skype logs, and a printed out copy of our matching Instagram accounts

Proving we intended to marry:

1. Letters from each of us stating our intention to marry and approximate date (we didn't know of course, for sure, but approximate is fine).

2. I went on paperlesspost.com and made some 'engagement announcements' {these are free to make on paperlesspost} that we would have sent to our friends and family -- we then printed one of those up and included it in our evidence

3. Emails we'd exchanged discussing the type of engagement ring I wanted, etc.

I think the timeline and the printed announcement would both help you -- of course you don't have definitive plans yet, so I think that's expected!

July 9: First Date in London

March 1: Belated Leap Day Engagement

Mar 26: Mailed I-129f packet to Dallas Lockbox via Tracked Royal Mail from England

July 25: Case # Assigned {4 months since Mailing Day back in March!}
August 1: 'Ready' Status at the Embassy!
September 8: Interview Date!
November 22: Courthouse Wedding date (North Carolina)
December: Filed for Adjustment of Status

May 19: Big Fat American Wedding date (Maryland)

July: Green Card Received!

July: Filed for Removal of Conditions

July: 18-month Extension Received

All I can offer is for you to do " what is asked for!" After all, you are dealing with government workers. What you have had to deal with is not uncommon. Best of luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes, they do loose things and that is probably why you need to send new letter especially if you signed in name not on birth certificate as you could have a married (divorced ) name

just send it and remember to include the case number, both names and both DOB on the top right hand corner

get affidavits from parents

i had to send in several as i stayed with his family in Morocco and no hotel

i have tried to post on here my 4 page RFE so just be happy you didn't have to jump thru the hoops we had to like getting copies of death certificates for both dads proving why they were not in our photos

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't have time to read everyone's response sorry, but did anyone mentioned that BOTH petitioner and beneficiary should write and sign these letters of intent? If you sent only letter from yourself, that's not enough.

- Victor from Russia

Our timlines K1 visa - Citizenship (06.28.2011 - 08.01.2016)

K1 Visa Timeline (06.28.2011 - 04.07.2012)

• 06-28-2011: I-129F sent to Dallas
  • 07-05-2011: NOA1 (CSC)
  • 01-05-2012: NOA2 (184 days since NOA1)
  • 01-13-2012: NVC passed
  • 01-19-2012: Embassy received our case
  • 02-14-2012: Interview PASSED! :D K-1 Visa Approved! :D
  • 03-08-2012: POE
  • 04-07-2012: Wedding!

AOS/EAD Timeline (04.26.2012 - 12.13.2012)

• 04-26-2012: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
  • 05-02-2012: NOA1 (both I-485 and I-765)
  • 05-23-2012: Biometrics taken
  • 07-02-2012: Employment Authorization Issued (07-09-2012 - received in the mail)
  • 12-03-2012: Made Service Request for I-485, because case is beyond processing time
  • 12-07-2012: I-485 APPROVED! 219 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 12-13-2012: GreenCard in the mailbox, done with AOS!

Lifting of conditions Timeline (09.04.2014 - 01.14.2015)

• 09-04-2014: I-751 sent to CSC
  • 09-08-2014: NOA1
  • 11-10-2014: Biometrics taken
  • 01-07-2015: Approved! Only 122 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 01-14-2015: GreenCard in the mailbox

Citizenship Timeline (09.03.2015 - 01.08.2016)

- 09-03-2015: N-400 sent to Phoenix

- 09-10-2015: NOA1

- 10-08-2015: Biometrics taken

- 10-28-2015: Case is in line for an interview

- 11-02-2015: Letter with Naturalization Interview Appointment

- 12-07-2015: Interview passed

- 01-08-2016: Naturalization Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen now!

tTM3p3.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.