lifegoeson123

Filing tax with a rich spouse

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks everyone for helping me clear out some of the issues. I would like to know in details to avoid conflicts with my husband since different sources have different information.

1. My husband told me even I am unemployed, he cant claim me as dependent to get exemptions or refund.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Six-Important-Facts-about-Dependents-and-Exemptions-1

2. How to calculate the income tax if my income is 24,000$/year and my husband is 450,000$/year as single/married jointly/married seperately. He told me he is more beneficial to be single rather than marrying me. And now we are married, it is better to file tax jointly rather than seperately.

Is this one the most current update of tax table ?

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/tax-brackets.aspx

I also found this link with ready table of tax we must file

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

He said I am working costs him more money than staying at home.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1. Seems strange. He should be able to claim you as a dependent but at that tax bracket due to his high income, it is negligible.

2. If married filing jointly, you add your income on top of his income. Your income would be taxed at about the highest tax bracket. If you take that plus add state tax, FICA, and Medicare, over half your income will go to taxes. Add the cost of transportation, work related clothes, etc., you would be working for peanuts.

Tax table looks pretty accurate. Sounds like what he is really thinks is: it isn't worth your time to work.

Edited by gregcrs2

A spouse is never called a "dependent" but by filing a joint return, you add an extra exemption deduction and standard deduction which is worth over $10k off the taxable income. Not that much of an impact on a $450k salary.

His taxes will be higher Married Filing Separately over Jointly.

I agree with above that your 24k is taxed much higher and on top of his income. You are not really gaining much monetarily by working. But if you do it because you love it then carry on. But if you hate your job, and find it stressful, then quit and find some volunteer activity you are passionate about. You will save money by doing so and can pick your hours.

Just looking at tax tables won't really tell you your taxes. There can be many other factors before you come up with "taxable income". And if he has investments which is likely at that income, tax is not figured on the tax tables.

Another question-- if his salary is $450,000 every year then surely he has an accountant that could answer your tax questions more specifically based on your exact situation

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Thanks everyone. My question is with his income, it is better for him to stay single rather than marrying me?

My income is 2000$/month. He gave me the W4 to submit to my boss to deduct 296$ out of every paycheck I have (I get paid twice per month). So I will get only 1200$ back. Im working 6 days per week for that :(

He told me I dont have to pay for house but I need to pay for car repair, car insurance, fuel, anything that I want to buy for myself. He told me he may not want to live with me in long-term and have children. With that high income tax and all the expense, I cant save much.

He does tax on his own.

Document everything he says with dates and gather evidence of things you have jointly so when he divorces you, you have evidence to get your 10 year green card without him. You can file a new W4 with your boss to get more money in your paycheck. All the money being withheld from your paycheck would be going toward the taxes his income is generating on a joint return. But if you file a separate return at the end of 2016, then you will get a refund in your name only. He is being unfair to you.

Can you explain what his job is that pays almost one-half million dollars every year? Is that a mistake in your first post?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

He is a business owner of a company with factory. We already had preup so I wont get anything or alimony. I came here for love at first.

For now I am thinking I will try to work on a relationship with him until I have 10 year green card to avoid all complication. Then if he is still not sure how our future goes, I will divorce him and start my new life. Im pretty scared that with 2000/month I make, I cant live on my own :(

He is rich but very economical and manage finance very well. He said that I always complain on the high tax, I dont pay for anything so I want him to pay for my tax as well? And he complains I am very selfish. How can I document these things? He said if I dont tell the boss to deduct 296$ out of my every paycheck, at the end of year, it will create interest. I will have to pay for the tax I lack plus the interest of late payment.

I dont think he agrees for me to file tax seperately. He complains the money I save doesnt worth the money that costs him. And he being married to me is a big disadvantage compared to him being single.

Timeline

Well, once the rest of the VJ community wakes up, this is going to be one hot topic!

So why did he marry you if he is better off being single?

Edited by gregcrs2

Timeline

He said he doesnt want to give up on me even though he found we were a bit different. I failed tourist visa, so the only way for us to be close is through fiance visa.

I want to work to earn some extra money and gain experience. When I first came, he gave me his card to buy what I want. I only spent on necessary things. He also lends me some capital to sell some stuffs online. He said even though things between us dont work out, he still helps me to stay in the US if I decide to.

Deep down inside I think he is not a bad person but maybe his love for me is not big enough to commit. Maybe I am selfish to think since he is rich already, he should provide and not let me work 6 days per week like that. However, he doesnt give me any allowance. And I am very insecure he is gonna leave me oneday. I dont have any family, friends, education here so I start saving as much as I can. Then he complains I am so selfish to work and keep things for myself.

I hope everyone can give me advice rationally on this matter.

Timeline

Deep down inside I think he is not a bad person but maybe his love for me is not big enough to commit. Maybe I am selfish to think since he is rich already, he should provide and not let me work 6 days per week like that. However, he doesnt give me any allowance. And I am very insecure he is gonna leave me oneday. I dont have any family, friends, education here so I start saving as much as I can. Then he complains I am so selfish to work and keep things for myself.

I hope everyone can give me advice rationally on this matter.

He definitely loves his money more than he loves you. Actually, he should be providing for you. A real man will always do the best he possibly can for the woman he loves. He is the one who is selfish. He is extremely selfish.

• 2 weeks later...

You pay your own tax with your salary. He does not pay your tax. He pays less tax by being married to you because he gets a credit per family member (to help pay for that family member).

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Tax calculations are not easy but let me run you your numbers. I'm going to discard all deductions and such, and use your income as the taxable income.

A single person making 450K a year pays 134K$ in federal taxes, and a single person making 24K$ a year, needs to pay 3136$ in fed taxes. So total of 137K$. When married, couple now makes 474K$ a year. Married filing jointly pays, 133.4K$ in taxes. So overall you will pay 3600$ less in taxes.Marriage helps you as a couple.

There is however something called tax penalty, when both spouses make similar amounts, together they could go in the upper tax bracket. Say both spouses make 90K$ a year, when single they would pay total of 36.5K$ in taxes in the 25% bracket, when married they go to the 28% bracket and need to pay 37.4K$. Hence marriage hurts this couple.

Now as Harpa says, you pay your own taxes, your husband pays his. You don't need to make extra deductions on your W4 for his portion. He is the one that needs to adjust his portion.

My numbers could be totally off depending on how much deduction your husband declares. But more or less, since there is a huge difference in incomes, I don't think it would change things significantly.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Is it better for us to file tax together for strengthening removal of Green card 2 year conditional? OR should I file seperately?

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This thread really upsets me. I wish you were not believing everything this man is telling you. But I understand your position. people can be very deceiving especially to delicate loving and caring souls . Hes using you for his own selfish financial benefit. Maybe you clean his house, watch his kids, care for him, sleep with him, whatever, but it sounds like he is being so selfish and using you for only your services to him. To me it sounds like a mail order bride is what he originally planned, and I hope he reads this thread!!! This is why the K1-Visa's are so hard to be approved with out a mutual bonifide relationship. It protects you as the immigrant from abuse and neglect and it protects the United State Citizen. But he has flipped the tables on you, Please I hope that you leave this man immediately. File your taxes yourself, use that extra 3 thousand to get a lawyer and tell the lawyer what this man is doing to you to break the visa terms and conditions, and I am sure any lawyer would have a great time suing the ####### out of guy that makes 450k salary for FREE!!!. Go spend your tax return on a establishing a better life. American lawyers will love to pick up your case and support you and sue a rich man!! You have rights too. No matter what lies he tries to feed you. I was in a very abusive relationship for 17 years, and I wasted half my life with a man that was selfish and was using me to his benefit, I left him finally 3 years ago, and my life has never been better and I feel so much better about my self and my confidence has thrived. You are strong woman and I am glad you are starting to catch on and asking questions about this man to give you some awareness of the abuse he is entailing upon you.

I hope I did't offend you, but I just think that you deserve better! Seriously and Good Luck!

Erinmi (L) Ayomi

Alaska & Nigeria

(Laugh) + (Joy)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.