Johndoe199675

Petition my cousin

13 posts in this topic

Greetings

I am writing this email looking for some answers. I am a resident of NYC and back in 2014 I went on vacation to Dominican Republic and on my vacation I met a cousin of mine from my dad side and it was the first time I met her and me and her we stood in contact after I left the country in 2015, after months of talking to her me and her decided to have a relationship and so we started seeing each othe and after months I went back to Dominican Republic and we met each other again and this time as a couple and we fell in love and I want to be with her and I want her to live with me here and I was wondering if anybody can help us on what's the law marrying my cousin and what are the process to petition her and bring her to marry me here, and having identical last name will cause any problem? Any information will be of much help

Thank you for your time and help!

P.S I am a US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What number cousin is it?

Eleanor and Franklin were cousins with the same last name before marriage. They were 5th cousins so it does happen.

Have you looked at the guides at the top of the page to see what visa suits you?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Cousin marriage, even 1st cousins, is allowed by federal/ immigration law, but your state may not allow it, so check into that.

They will look at your case closely to make sure you are not using marriage to bring over a family member, but it should not be a big issue.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

1st cousin marriages are legal in NY.

Keep in mind that there are several states that will not acknowledge your marriage, should you want to relocate in the future.

However, with a bona fide relationship, you should be fine for immigration purposes.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Cousin marriage, even 1st cousins, is allowed by federal/ immigration law, but your state may not allow it, so check into that.

They will look at your case closely to make sure you are not using marriage to bring over a family member, but it should not be a big issue.

There are no federal laws allowing first cousin marriages. Marriages are state issues. The Feds simply follow state laws.

Timeline

Hi,

New York allows first cousin marriages, so you can petition for and marry your cousin.

Follow the Guides on VisaJourney.

Expect scrutiny since she's your cousin. The US Embassy will want to see if there is a real relationship or a marriage just for a green card.

Best of luck.

Wikipedia lists the states where this is allowed. Nice read. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage_law_in_the_United_States_by_state

I live in North Carolina and here is what they say about couples. You have to laugh at some of the old laws on the books.

"Married first cousins cannot sleep in the same bed in a hotel. State law in North Carolina dictate that couples staying overnight in hotel rooms must have a room with double beds at least two feet apart. Now, non-couples can sleep in the same bed. North Carolina has no motel-room-related laws about rampant out-of-wedlock sleeping, cuddling"... well you get the idea.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-peacock/north-carolina-gay-marriage-_b_1502431.html

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Wikipedia lists the states where this is allowed. Nice read. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage_law_in_the_United_States_by_state

I live in North Carolina and here is what they say about couples. You have to laugh at some of the old laws on the books.

"Married first cousins cannot sleep in the same bed in a hotel. State law in North Carolina dictate that couples staying overnight in hotel rooms must have a room with double beds at least two feet apart. Now, non-couples can sleep in the same bed. North Carolina has no motel-room-related laws about rampant out-of-wedlock sleeping, cuddling"... well you get the idea.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-peacock/north-carolina-gay-marriage-_b_1502431.html

Can't wait to see the prosecutor who would charge a married couple with violating this law.

Greetings

I am writing this email looking for some answers. I am a resident of NYC and back in 2014 I went on vacation to Dominican Republic and on my vacation I met a cousin of mine from my dad side and it was the first time I met her and me and her we stood in contact after I left the country in 2015, after months of talking to her me and her decided to have a relationship and so we started seeing each othe and after months I went back to Dominican Republic and we met each other again and this time as a couple and we fell in love and I want to be with her and I want her to live with me here and I was wondering if anybody can help us on what's the law marrying my cousin and what are the process to petition her and bring her to marry me here, and having identical last name will cause any problem? Any information will be of much help

Thank you for your time and help!

P.S I am a US Citizen

Like others have stated First cousin Marriage is allowed in NY so when filling out your K1 petition make sure you put that you intend to live in a state that allows the first cousin marriage. Also I believe Cousin Marriage is legal in the Dominican Republic so you could do CR1 visa which take a little longer but expect more scrutiny as others have mentioned Front load your initial petition. Make sure you disclose the fact that you are first cousins on the petition do not attempt to hide it in fact there is a field where is specifically asks that question. Take another trip if you can take lots of photos together and good luck.

Edited by ayceman

Check here for an article on birth complications. https://www.cousincouples.com/?page=overview

Seems the risks are very low.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.