nnicola747

Changing status from OPT to Tourist, need advice!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am Canadian and currently in the US on OPT. I will be moving to Europe to do post-graduate studies in September. The grace period for my OPT ends in August. I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be possible for me to cross the border before the grace period ends (like in one day) and come back into the States for a few weeks as a tourist? My new school doesn't begin until the end of September and I would like to spend a few weeks in the States before I move. I don't want to overstay my OPT. But I am also concerned since I know that Canadian tourists are only allowed in the States for 6 months of the year, and I have already been in the States for awhile now. Granted, that was on a student visa. Does anyone know if I will encounter problems at the border? It's all a bit confusing for me...

Thank you very much for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from Student visa to Canada for country specific answers *****

If you were from a country needing a tourist visa, I would say no. You being a Canadian, you may be allowed, but I wouldn't make fast plans on it, in case you get turned back at the border.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

No one can tell you if you will encounter problems or not. You may be asked if you are truly visiting the US or just trying to extend your ability to continue to live in the US. Will you have a lease in Canada or the US? If you have a lease the US and not one in Canada, are you really visiting or going home?

You have a grace period to wrap up your life. Use the time to do it and you can avoid a problem trying to get back in.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My passport has my new student visa in it for my studies in Europe in September. So I will definitely not be trying to just stay in the US indefinitely, just for a few weeks before I move to Europe. I booked a one way ticket to Europe from Seattle in September. Should I print it out to show the customs officers?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I also will not have a lease in the US! I am definitely moving to Europe in a few weeks!

Okay, where will your stuff be? Do tourists have the stuff that you will have in your place where you live?

What are you going to say if asked where's is your residence?

Your life. Your choice. Spin it the wrong way and you may be denied admission or worse.

Recognize that you will not be coming to visit a few weeks. You are returning to continue living in the US and continue your life until you move to Europe.

Rules sucks sometimes.

Best of luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.