Bovjrt

Family Grilled About MY Immigration Status During B2 Interview

16 posts in this topic

My sister went to her B2 visa interview today. She wants to come visit for 2 weeks in a few months and stay at my house.

I've been a green card holder for 6 years. I obtained my GC without issue whatsoever, we did EVERYTHING right and everyone was lovely. Same thing with my condition removal. I've been putting off applying for citizenship because I've been too busy with work. I pay a #### ton in taxes and have no debt. And I am still married to my beloved husband.

Then why does my sister go to her interview today, and instead of asking her about her trip and making sure she's not going to stay illegally, etc, etc, they grill her about MY immigration status? They asked her how I met my husband, why I married while on a B2 visa (obtained 7 years before marriage, way before I met my husband), when did I get married, and a million other questions. None if this was an issue when I obtained my GC! And what does it have to do with HER trip?!

When she offered that I am a green card holder and tried to show a copy of it AND my letter of invitation, they told her "THAT IS NOT WHAT I ASKED YOU, AND IF YOU CONTINUE ON THEN I AM NOT APPROVING YOUR VISA". They almost made her cry (she actually did after she left). Why be so mean?? In the end the clerk looked away and told her "YOU'RE APPROVED. NEXT!". They never looked at the paperwork she brought.

Can somebody explain why this happened? My dad did his B2 visa 3 years ago to visit me, and they didn't grill him like that!

Edited by Bovjrt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems very reasonable in the circumstances.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It sounds like because you adjusted from a tourist visa (even though many years later), they were concerned she might do the same and overstay and/ or find a boyfriend to marry her, so they wanted to make sure that had not been your plan, as far as the sister knew.

Thank you for the answer!

It was definitely not my plan. I had come on vacation!

As far as my sister, she has a boyfriend back home.

Ugh, I'm so annoyed. She's my little sister and a) they made her feel like for something that had nothing to do with her, b) I have not done anything wrong.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

On the bright side, she got her visa. Better than getting grilled and no visa.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

It's fantastic that your sister got a visitor visa.

To be blunt, here are some answers to your questions.

Your sister got grilled because they thought she might do the same thing you did; come on a B-2 visa to marry and immigrate.

Your father did not get grilled because it's much harder for an older man to find a US lady than it does for a young lady to find a US man.

The CO has no obligation to look at any paperwork that the applicant may bring. None of it can be checked for their validity in the time it takes for a visitor visa interview. COs hate getting papers shoved at them.

Hope your sister enjoy her time in the US.

Hi,

It's fantastic that your sister got a visitor visa.

To be blunt, here are some answers to your questions.

Your sister got grilled because they thought she might do the same thing you did; come on a B-2 visa to marry and immigrate.

Your father did not get grilled because it's much harder for an older man to find a US lady than it does for a young lady to find a US man.

The CO has no obligation to look at any paperwork that the applicant may bring. None of it can be checked for their validity in the time it takes for a visitor visa interview. COs hate getting papers shoved at them.

Hope your sister enjoy her time in the US.

Thank you for the detailed and polite response!

Yeah, seems like it was based on your previous actions.

She got her visa so brush it off and don't let it bother you now.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Same happened to my younger sister twice. She had her visa before I even considered going to US and applied for J1, never had any legal problems, had a job and was attending a university and etc. Yet, they asked a million questions about my marriage. And my sister got hysterical during her interview. Then the same thing happened with my mother. Ok, sister was young but my mom was married for 30 years, had a house, awesome job and another daughter living with her. Yet, for 1,5 hours they've been asking all about my marriage. So weird. When my dad decided to visit I was really worried. He just retired from his job and had no extra source of income. They asked him for how long he was going to stay with me. He said he wasn't sure yet, a month or two. They gave him a visa with no more questions. I mean, what's the logic?!?!?!?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Same happened to my younger sister twice. She had her visa before I even considered going to US and applied for J1, never had any legal problems, had a job and was attending a university and etc. Yet, they asked a million questions about my marriage. And my sister got hysterical during her interview. Then the same thing happened with my mother. Ok, sister was young but my mom was married for 30 years, had a house, awesome job and another daughter living with her. Yet, for 1,5 hours they've been asking all about my marriage. So weird. When my dad decided to visit I was really worried. He just retired from his job and had no extra source of income. They asked him for how long he was going to stay with me. He said he wasn't sure yet, a month or two. They gave him a visa with no more questions. I mean, what's the logic?!?!?!?

The logic is that it's much easier for women to get American men than it's for men to get American women.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The logic is that it's much easier for women to get American men than it's for men to get American women.

Agree with this!

also, their is no way to know who CBP will question further and who they wont. answer the question and dont sound upset/bothered/annoyed ect.. you can get questioned, or you cant. but if they ask your parents they have nothing to hide 'he met him... ' 'they dated this long'.. .just answer the question asked and no additional detail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Your sister is lucky, so if I were you or her, I wouldn't complain. My fiance was barely grilled for answers, has no family in the US, and he was still denied a B-2 visa. Why? Because some people enter the US on a B-2 visa and stay.

Your sister is lucky, so if I were you or her, I wouldn't complain. My fiance was barely grilled for answers, has no family in the US, and he was still denied a B-2 visa. Why? Because some people enter the US on a B-2 visa and stay.

That's what OP did, (even if she got her visa 7 yrs prior to visiting on a B2 and AOS-ing). Under the circumstances, she shouldn't be surprised sister was grilled too.

And.. a CO doesn't know her sister had a boyfriend. Breakups happen all the time.. and there are plenty of threads here where women have left their bf's as they found someone in the US to marry.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.