Stelare

Advice for documents to take to B2 visa interview

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I just posted on Reddit for advice regarding this situation and was referred over to here, so I'm just going to copy and paste my post from there.

My fiance just mailed out our K1 petition today, and it should arrive at the Dallas lockbox on Thursday. I just completed the DS-160 and booked my appointment at the consulate here in Western Australia for a B2 visa on Monday next week. My fiance and I are planning on having me stay with him in the US while the K1 is processing (assuming this B2 is approved), and then I'll fly back for a short period of time when I need to do my embassy interview + medical for the final stages of the K1, maybe visit my family or something, too. The plan is to have me leave in ~a month or so, as mentioned, if everything goes as planned.

I called the supplied number on the ustraveldocs website and attempted to get some help. I explained the situation and asked about what supporting documents I should take to my interview in regards to my situation. But the guy just flip flopped around for a good 15-20 minutes and kept giving me mixed answers along the lines of "I'm not allowed to give you suggestions for what you can take", "don't take anything, just take the necessary documents and the consular officer will request additional documents after if necessary", "just take what you think is necessary" and "just don't take anything", and kept talking about things not being determinants.

If I could have jumped through the phone line and slapped him, I would have. I understand if he just said "Sorry i'm not allowed to give any suggestions on the documents, just take what you think is appropriate" and left it at that. But he gave me so many mixed answers, like "don't take anything"... seriously?????? The website says "Failure to include additional documents will delay visa processing". So how is telling me to take nothing a good idea?

I honestly have no idea what I should take at this point. My fiance will be supporting me while I am there. We'll need to fill out an I-134 before the embassy interview, so should I just have him do that now and take that? I have his paystubs from the past few months to prove he can provide for us both while I am there, as well. Is it a good idea to take some documents from our K1? I just have no clue, so any help would be greatly appreciated :(

Reading some posts here, I'm really worried now that this is a horrible idea and that I will be rejected. Obviously I am in the process of immigrating, so is it possible they'd deny me the visa because of that? I am deferring my university course in order to spend the 6 months with my fiance, I'm worried that they'll see I don't necessarily have any 'ties' to bring me back to Australia.

Edited by Stelare

K1 and AOS/EAD/AP

Spoiler

K1

19th July 2016 -- K1 Petition sent to TX Lockbox

27th July 2016 -- NOA1 Received

7th September 2016 -- NOA2 Received

27th September 2016 -- Sydney Consulate Received

6th October 2016 -- Packet 4 Received

29th November 2016 -- Interview Date

29th November 2016 -- Approved at interview

5th December 2016 -- Visa Package Received

16th December 2016 -- Entered US on K1 (PoE San Francisco)

23rd December 2016 -- Married!

AOS/EAD/AP

8th March 2017 -- Filed AoS, EAD, AP

18th March 2017 -- NOA1 for AoS, EAD, AP

1st August 2017 - Email notification that GC has been mailed
18th August 2017 - Mailed GC back after name error (Maiden name instead of married name), USCIS error, filed with I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card

GC Replacement

Spoiler

18th August 2017 - Mailed GC back after name error (Maiden name instead of married name), USCIS error, filed with I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
3rd August 2018 - I-90 Form Approved.

7th August 2018 - Replacement card produced.

Replacement card sent to wrong address!
12th October 2018 - Replacement card received!

RoC

6th May 2019 - Mailed off I-751 RoC

14th May 2019 - Text notification case received

17th May 2019 - 18 month extension letter received
2nd December 2019 - Biometrics Appt
1st October 2020 - Case transferred to NBC
5th March 2021 - Case updated to notify that interview has been scheduled

N-400

30th September 2020 - Application filed online
30th September 2020 - Notice of received application (notice date)

Should I just cancel the appointment and put off the B2 until we get our NOA2 in order to avoid any issues with our K1?

K1 and AOS/EAD/AP

Spoiler

K1

19th July 2016 -- K1 Petition sent to TX Lockbox

27th July 2016 -- NOA1 Received

7th September 2016 -- NOA2 Received

27th September 2016 -- Sydney Consulate Received

6th October 2016 -- Packet 4 Received

29th November 2016 -- Interview Date

29th November 2016 -- Approved at interview

5th December 2016 -- Visa Package Received

16th December 2016 -- Entered US on K1 (PoE San Francisco)

23rd December 2016 -- Married!

AOS/EAD/AP

8th March 2017 -- Filed AoS, EAD, AP

18th March 2017 -- NOA1 for AoS, EAD, AP

1st August 2017 - Email notification that GC has been mailed

GC Replacement

Spoiler

3rd August 2018 - I-90 Form Approved.

7th August 2018 - Replacement card produced.

Replacement card sent to wrong address!
12th October 2018 - Replacement card received!

RoC

6th May 2019 - Mailed off I-751 RoC

14th May 2019 - Text notification case received

17th May 2019 - 18 month extension letter received
2nd December 2019 - Biometrics Appt
1st October 2020 - Case transferred to NBC

N-400

30th September 2020 - Application filed online
30th September 2020 - Notice of received application (notice date)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Difficult to see in your situation what you could take, not that anything you would take is likely to be looked at.

Any reason you could not use the VWP?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

As Boiler mentioned, Australia is a VWP country, you should not need a B Visa. Plus staying in the US until it is time for your interview won't work too well, because you will need to prepare documents only obtainable from your country prior to the interview, and you are about to give up your life in Australia to come to the US, I would recommended using the time it takes to wait for the Visa to reach the interview stage to get your affairs in order.

Pair down your belongings, discard what you don't need, make arrangements for what you intend to keep. Make sure you don't have any major outstanding bills/obligations. Spend time with friends and family, because it will be 4-9 months before you are able to see them again depending on how quickly you move through the stages of the process when you arrive visa in hand.

Use the time to find things that make you happy and remind you of home to bring with you to your new home in the US. Many people don't think about it, but uprooting yourself and moving to a new country is a huge change, and many people who never expected to get hit with a large feeling of homesickness. The more time you spend preparing for the change the better. Waiting out your Visa in the US will cause a mad dash scramble at the end that can leave you feeling exhausted and drained.

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.