mikeghurley

Request for Initial Evidence I-485 - How does it affect I-765?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Hi

I submitted my I-485, I-130, I-765 etc package on May 6th 2016. I am adjusting from a J1 to permanent residency through marraige. Yesterday, on Day 73 I received a pink "Request for Initial Evidence I-485".

The letter requests the following.

The petitioner/sponsor's household member on Form I-864 or Form I-864A must submit a complete Federal Income tax return submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for the most recent tax year.

Submit all supporting tax documentation (W-2s, 1099s, Form 2555 and all supporting tax schedules) submitted to the Internal Revenue Service for the most recent tax year.

The petition/sponsor's household member must submit all supporting tax documents for the most recent year.

The parts in red are highlighted on the document.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does this reset the clock on my I-765 work authorization application or does it pause it on the date that the request for evidence was issued? I'm reading conflicting information on the USCIS website.

2. My spouse has got a new job since we submitted the initial I-864 and can comfortably cover the sponsor income requirement. Do we just submit a completely new I-864 with this information?

Thanks so much for your help

Mike

Filed: Other Country: Iceland
Timeline

Ours paused the EAD. It stated that in the RFIE. Reread it and see if it tells you. After they got all the documents they requested, the EAD was sent in about 2 weeks. Depending on what they need, it could reset the process.

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

I think you should send exactly what they're asking for, as opposed to a completely new i864.

My husband got a new job about a month after sending in our paperwork. When we went to the interview, I brought copies of the original i864, as well as a new version reflecting our current job situation. The officer didn't check the new i864. He said he was fine with what we originally submitted. I thought he'd ask for more stuff, such as bank stubs but nothing else was requested.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.