Pink_Waters

Egypt: Translated marriage contract authentication

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello guys, I have read on the US embassy website that the english translation of the marriage contract obtained from Notary Public Authority located on 57 Ramses Street, Cairo. needs to be authenticated from the US embassy. but I have read on the internet from multiple sources that the authentication from the US embassy is not really needed for the spouse visa process.

I am confused now and I don't know what to believe, so if anybody can elaborate on this i would really appreciate it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

US embassy is not going to authenicate anything

they are not a witness to the marriage

i never heard of any of this

Just have the document translated by anyone (but you) and signed by the translator as certified giving his offical titles, address and phone number

Timeline

thanks for replying, here is a quote from the US embassy website:

Step 5: To use this Egyptian marriage certificate in the United States:

1) Translate it into English at the Notary Public Authority located on 57 Ramses Street, Cairo. The fee is 15.00LE for each page and it should take about 1-2 days to receive the translation.

2) This must then be authenticated by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (fee is about 11.00 LE).

Finally, bring the translation to the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo for Authentication of the MFA official’s signature ($50.00). Please note: If you do obtain an English marriage certificate from the Egyptian Ministry of Justice Translation office, you DO NOT need to have it authenticated at the U.S. Embassy to use for immigration in the United States.

Timeline

This was the same thing I was confused about it.

Me and my wife asked the Egyptian girl in the embassy in the first appointment about this point specifically ,and she replied that we must return to the embassy after finishing the translation in anywhere for getting something I didn't remember it, and we paid another 400 LE in the second appointment.

So, you need to return to the embassy again, with the translated marriage certificate, and they will put a clipped paper on it stating that the embassy reviewed the marriage certificate's papers and they will write the number of your marriage certificate 's papers.

Ah she said once we will return to the embassy and they review the marriage certificate, it will be OK to use it in any process in the US.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

can anybody confirm this ?

You don't need it translated for USCIS purposes, but you will need it translated for other use in the USA , such as name change, social security, etc.

Now if you do this below:

1) Translate it into English at the Notary Public Authority located on 57 Ramses Street, Cairo. The fee is 15.00LE for each page and it should take about 1-2 days to receive the translation.

2) This must then be authenticated by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (fee is about 11.00 LE).

Finally, bring the translation to the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo for Authentication of the MFA official’s signature

The US Consulate will authenticated the stamps are genuine, as they did that with my divorce papers from Egypt years ago.

Keep in mind, the US Consulate is not authenticating the marriage , BUT only the marriage document, stamps and signatures on the document.

Get it translated there, and have US Consulate stamp it off, that way it will be easier to use in the USA for other things you will need it for.

Also if you can get an extra one, that would be great.

US Consulate use to charge $50.00 for EACH notary, as that is basically what they are doing, it will be a separate piece of paper clamped on your marriage docs.

Edited by Beth & Achraf

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline

You don't need it translated for USCIS purposes, but you will need it translated for other use in the USA , such as name change, social security, etc.

No, the USCIS requires a translated copy of the marriage contract. but some people say that the authentication from the embassy for this step is not required. but I wanted somebody to confirm this because i am not sure.

Timeline

No, the USCIS requires a translated copy of the marriage contract. but some people say that the authentication from the embassy for this step is not required. but I wanted somebody to confirm this because i am not sure.

No, you don't need it authenticated for USCIS use, but it will help in the USA as friends of mine who married Egyptians did not get the docs authentic by US consulate and they had issues changing their names and such. Save yourself problems later, get it authenticated by US Consulate, the $50 is well worth it.

Even the US Consulate to have this done for use in the USA.

Edited by Beth & Achraf

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline

Why don't you contact the US Embassy Egypt and ask them. Getting the information right from the source.

Edited by Beth & Achraf

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline

can anybody confirm this ?

If you get your marriage certificate translated in the Ministry of Justice "translation department" then you do not need to get it authenticated in the embassy . that's written in their website

Timeline

well I went to the ministry of justice translation department and they told me to go to Notary Public Authority located on 57 Ramses Street. because they don't translate foreign marriage contracts.

Timeline

Here is what it says on US Embassy Egypt website:

Step 5: To use this Egyptian marriage certificate in the United States:

Finally, bring the translation to the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo for Authentication of the MFA official’s signature ($50.00). Please note: If you do obtain an English marriage certificate from the Egyptian Ministry of Justice Translation office, you DO NOT need to have it authenticated at the U.S. Embassy to use for immigration in the United States.

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline

Please note: If you do obtain an English marriage certificate from the Egyptian Ministry of Justice Translation office, you DO NOT need to have it authenticated at the U.S. Embassy to use for immigration in the United States.

This is what i am trying to explain. The ministry of justice translation office told me they don't translate foreign marriage contracts, and they told me to go to the Notary Public Authority located on 57 Ramses Street to get my translation there.

Timeline

Don't know, I copied and pasted from US Embassy website.

Nothing is easy there, glad I don't have to deal with Egypt Ministries anymore........

happy tom and jerry GIF

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.