jg121783

NVC Phase of CR-1 Visa - A Few Questions

373 posts in this topic

So I checked the status of my wife and step son's I-130s the other day and it says they were approved at USCIS on the 8th of July (time from NOA1 to the approval was only 31 days so I must have done something right lol). Now I have some questions about what to expect next. I read the Visa Journey NVC guide and the guide on the USCIS website and I think I understand most of what comes next but I still have some questions.

I guess my first question is when can I expect the NOA2 in the mail from USCIS? Will this take a couple weeks? My next question is when can I expect to get something from NVC? Form what I have read I am guessing 4-6 weeks to get something from NVC. Is that the point where I will pay the AOS and IV fees? It is my understanding the AOS fee is $120 (one fee for my wife and step son combined) and the IV fee is $325 (seperate fees for my wife and step son. This is one of the more urgent things for me to confirm because I have to figure out how much overtime I need to work to earn money for the fees lol.

Another thing I am wondering about is what the time frames for the various steps are. First of all assuming there are no delays or mistakes on anything and everything gets through NVC and to an interview in the average amount of time what is a rough estimate in months of how long we have until the interview? I was figuring on a year for the whole process (until about next June) and I thought the USCIS phase would take 5 or more months and it only took 1 month. Does that mean my wife and step son could get through the process in about 8 months total or am I over thinking this here. Also I sat down last night and looked at time estimates from both the government website and the Visa Journey guide and came up with a rough estimate of about 6 months from NOA2 to interview. Is this overly optimistic? It does seem to fit an 8 month time frame because it has been almost 2 months already. What I would really like some info on is the average time from NVC to interview specifically for the Philippines.

I had some questions about all the paperwork for the NVC process but some of them slipped my mind. Maybe I will remember later and post them. The first questions I remember are about the AOS form I-864. First of all I do have to use the I-864 and can't use the EZ version correct? The second question is do I put my wife and step son on the same form or do I do a seperate one for both of them? That question applies to the AOS packet as a whole also. As far as supporting documents go Is last year's tax transcript, check stubs and a letter from my employer enough? As far as the check stubs go how far back should I go? My employer uses an online service for payroll so I can go on their website and print off as far back as I want basically. What should be included in an employer letter?

On to the questions for the IV packet. Do I really need to send new copies of some of the documents in the I-130 package like the marriage certificate? Im assuming a seperate packet for my wife and step son is required or can I put everything in one package? That is all I can think of on the IV package for now.

The last thing I had questions about is the DS-260. I read through the sample form on the USCIS website and I have a few concerns. The first one is the question about TB. Here is the situation. My wife was an OFW and shared a room with someone who had TB. She had a skin test which came up positive but the chest xray and sputum test both came up negative. I have read the skin test is positive on some people who don't even have TB. How should she answer the question on the DS-260 about TB? On the same subject I am worried about how this will affect the medical exam. Will they ask her about this and if she tells them she was positive on a skin test will this cause any delays? Is there anything my wife can do now to prepare for this? My next question involves the part where they ask for all your addresses since you were 16. The problem is my wife can't remember all of them ( I am the same age as her and I can't remember all of my addresses either lol). How should we handle this?

I know this is a long post with many questions. I tried to put it all in one post. Please answer whatever questions you can. My plan is to get all the paperwork together next week as it will be the last week work will be slow and I will have no overtime. Then it is back to 6 12 hour days a week to save money for what is ahead. I want to have it all ready to mail when the right time comes even if I am busy with work. The only paperwork I don't currently have or can't get immediately is a copy of my wife and step son's passport page photocopies as they just had their passport interview today (It seems like everything is falling in place for us at just the right time lol). My wife was told it would be 2 weeks at the most to get the passports (she paid the expedite fee) so that is not an issue.

I want to thank everyone who has guided me and my family through this whole process from the bottom of my heart It would have not been possible to get to this point so fast without issues without your help. Anyone reading this who is about to start their I-130 and is considering hiring an attorney I would say to you don't do it. If you can follow directions and fill out basic forms and type a few letters you can do this yourself probably faster than an attorney will. This website is awesome and I am sure I will be using it a lot more in the months ahead.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Great questions. The best person to help you is "brassballs". PM him he has personal experiences of what to do and not do. PM him. He'll help you.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Great questions. The best person to help you is "brassballs". PM him he has personal experiences of what to do and not do. PM him. He'll help you.

He has helped me out a lot already and I am sure he will see this post eventually.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

The I 864 asks for all the names of people you sponsor for immigration

After you receive your new case number from NVC (can take a few weeks to 2 months), you will be instructed as to what documents NVC may need

They will send 2 bills to u to pay online

After each is paid, you are allowed to check in online and fill out the AOS and visa application(s)

Instructions from NVC does say they will not work on your case until the fees are paid.

Site to pay fees is

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/approved/step_2_pay_fees.html

Any documents you send to them must be accompanied by the bar code sheet they send (hopefully you gave them a good email ID to get informations faster)

These documetns like her criminal investigation papers must be original and not copies. Also have to be translated into English. Put on each document in the upper right hand corner the new case number and both DOB's to prevent seperation and loss at NVC

Others will tell you specifics for Phillipines

Hi. I'm a week in front of you in this process try following my time line. Now with NVC you can't time things cuz they keep on giving you different stories so you just have to be patient. 30-60 days for a case # good luck with your journey

Hi! Your questions about fees and the i-864 can be found on the NVC website (as someone has already stated). The timeline in NVC depends on you and how quickly you can pay the fees and send the documents. You can look at my timeline or signature as a guide :)

For the question on the DS-260 about TB, you just answer truthfully; your wife has never been diagnosed with TB, but has been exposed to someone who does. Most people from the Philippines will always have a positive skin test because of the BCG vaccine that they received as infants (I'm one of them), so it shouldn't be a problem. As long as your wife's x-ray is clear, that's all that matters ;) And for the addresses, just try to at least remember the street name and city, and guesstimate the time spent there; I didn't bother to put house numbers because my husband just couldn't remember them all, and I still got my CC. So just do the best you can with whatever she can remember.

Goodluck!

USCIS Process:
Sent I-130 (via USPS): February 20, 2016
NOA1 hardcopy received: February 26, 2016
NOA2 approval text & email: May 6, 2016 (71 days from NOA1)
Petition sent to NVC text & email: May 11, 2016

NVC Process:
Case number and IIN Assigned: May 26, 2016
Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: May 27, 2016
AOS Fee Invoiced: May 27, 2016
Pay AOS Fee: May 27, 2016
AOS Fee appeared as PAID: June 2, 2016
IV Fee Invoiced: June 3, 2016
Pay IV Fee: June 3, 2016
IV Fee appeared as PAID: June 6, 2016
IV application (DS-260) completed: June 7, 2016
Sent AOS & IV packets (via FedEx): June 8, 2016
Scan date: June 9, 2016
CC: July 14, 2016 (FINALLY saw 3rd N/A... 35 days after scan date)
Confirmation of CC email received: July 21, 2016
Interview date received over the phone: July 26, 2016

Interview Process:
Interview letter/P4 received via email: August 5, 2016
Medical Exam (@SLEC): August 3-4, 2016

Sputum samples given: August 15-17, 2016

Pulmo Consultation: August 18, 2016 (sputum smear is NEGATIVE!)

Results of sputum culture: October 12, 2016 (NEGATIVE!)

Completed: October 17, 2016
Interview date: October 24, 2016 (APPROVED! case status ISSUED the same day) :content:

Visa ready for pickup @MOA (via 2GO tracking): October 26, 2016

Visa in hand: October 27, 2016

Pay Greencard Fee: October 27, 2016

POE: November 6, 2016 (L)

SSN received (via USPS): November 14, 2016

10-year Greencard received (via USPS): December 17, 2016 (41 days after POE) :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Man, I had to laugh at your comment about figuring out how much overtime you're going to have to work to pay the next round of fees! :) I'm in the same boat. Possibly the most frustrating thing about this whole experience for me hasn't been how long each step takes, but repeatedly being blind-sided by invoices for multiple hundreds of dollars to keep the process moving!

Anyway, good luck with everything. Hope the rest of the process goes smoothly for you!

Please check out my music video for "Bright Side of the World", the song I wrote for my fiancee. You can watch the video on YouTube here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKu3SvqCBfg

Thanks for listening! :)

Joel

I recieved the following email today:

There has been a recent processing action taken on your case.

Receipt Number: xxxxxxxxxx

Application Type: I130, IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN

Your Case Status: Post Decision Activity

On July 15, 2016, we sent your case, Receipt Number xxxxxxxx, to the Department of State for visa processing. Please visit our website for general information on Consular Processing. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

For approved applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center or the Department of State. For denied applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include the processing of an appeal and/or motions to reopen or reconsider and revocations.

• Log-in to your myUSCIS account to view your case history and understand what you can expect to happen next on your case.
  • Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at under Check Processing Times.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

I logged into the USCIS website and saw the following message:

Case Was Sent To The Department of State

On July 15, 2016, we sent your case, Receipt Number xxxxxxxxxxxx, to the Department of State for visa processing. Please visit our website for general information on Consular Processing. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

I am guessing this means the cases have been sent to the NVC now. Seems like everything is going unusually fast so far. My time from NOA1 to NOA2 was a lot quicker than I expected after looking at other people's wait times and the 5 month wait time posted on the USCIS website. Now it appears the cases have been sent to the NVC before I even recieved my NOA2 in the mail (still hasn't come but we have slow mail where I live sometimes). I thought this could take a few weeks but it has been exactly 1 week from when the I-130s were approved. I hope the rest of the process goes this quickly.

The Visa Journey guide says I wont get a notice from NVC when they recieve the cases. It says I should call to find out when they recieved it. How much time should I wait before I start calling?

One of the most important things I am wondering right now is how long do I have before the bills for the fees come? I am low on funds right now as I thought none of this would happen for another few months. Luckily my boss told me last night overtime is starting up again next week. Guess I will be living at work for a while but I know it will be worth it in the end. I want to be ready to give the government what they ask for as soon as they ask for it to avoid any delays.

What is the soonest you guys think the cases could get through the NVC stage and get to the interview? I am asking because I was planning on visiting my wife in October but if there is a possibility she could have her visa a few months later I am better off cancelling the trip and saving my money. I am in the process of requesting time off work for October so I need to make this decision soon. I also need to know if there is even a remote possibility my wife could have her visa before the end of the year because I need to let my boss know there is a small possibility I will need time off then to go visit my wife and fly back with her and my step son (she is scared to fly here without me). I have no paid vacation time until January and I have to request unpaid time. After January it wont be a big deal because they are more flexible with paid time off than unpaid time.

Hi! Considering your case was just sent to NVC, you probably have at least a good 3wks before a case number and invoice is sent to you via email. When it has been at least 2wks since NOA2, you can call NVC to check if they have a case number for you... although a lot of the times they'll just say it can take up to 6wks for them to put your case into the system and give you a number.

However fast the NVC process goes depends on how quickly you do the steps. If you want it to go quickly, you must be proactive. I suggest gathering all the necessary documents while waiting for a case number. Once you get your case number and invoice, log in to CEAC and immediately fill out the DS-261 & pay for the AOS fee. Then, call NVC to review your DS-261 to unlock the IV fee... it can take 24hrs to unlock it. You can actually send your documents after paying the AOS fee to save time... I've seen people do it and still get a CC, but you would have to pay for the IV fee & fill out the DS-260 soon after. Once the IV fee is paid for, you can fill out the DS-260. The average review period for your documents is between 30-32 days. The entire process (transit from USCIS to interview) can easily be done in 4-5mon, assuming there are no hiccups along the way (e.g. checklist).

Edited by xmaricrisx

USCIS Process:

NVC Process:

Interview Process:

Interview date: October 24, 2016 (APPROVED! case status ISSUED the same day) :content:

10-year Greencard received (via USPS): December 17, 2016 (41 days after POE) :dance:

Hi. My stepdaughter case was approved on July 1St still hasn't been received by NVC yet but I'll be calling them again Monday.

Good morning xmaricrix

Hi. My stepdaughter case was approved on July 1St still hasn't been received by NVC yet but I'll be calling them again Monday.

Good morning xmaricrix

Good morning to you too, teddy k! :)

USCIS Process:

NVC Process:

Interview Process:

Got my NOA2s in the mail yesterday. The letter says the NVC will contact the beneficiary with further steps. Does this mean they will send my wife something in the mail? Will I also recieve a copy of everything they send my wife?

Hi! Considering your case was just sent to NVC, you probably have at least a good 3wks before a case number and invoice is sent to you via email. When it has been at least 2wks since NOA2, you can call NVC to check if they have a case number for you... although a lot of the times they'll just say it can take up to 6wks for them to put your case into the system and give you a number.

However fast the NVC process goes depends on how quickly you do the steps. If you want it to go quickly, you must be proactive. I suggest gathering all the necessary documents while waiting for a case number. Once you get your case number and invoice, log in to CEAC and immediately fill out the DS-261 & pay for the AOS fee. Then, call NVC to review your DS-261 to unlock the IV fee... it can take 24hrs to unlock it. You can actually send your documents after paying the AOS fee to save time... I've seen people do it and still get a CC, but you would have to pay for the IV fee & fill out the DS-260 soon after. Once the IV fee is paid for, you can fill out the DS-260. The average review period for your documents is between 30-32 days. The entire process (transit from USCIS to interview) can easily be done in 4-5mon, assuming there are no hiccups along the way (e.g. checklist).

I plan on gathiering most of the douments I need next week. Will NVC contact me when there is a case number or do I have to keep calling to find out? The only things I don't have immediate access to are my wife and step son's passports and my wife's police clearance. Luckly I had my wife schedule the passport appointment a couple months ago and she should have the passports within a week or so because she had them expedited. As far as the police clearance goes my wife and I are a little confused about this. My wife said there is a difference between a police clearance and an NBI (think that is what she said) certificate. She thinks it is the NBI certificate that she needs. Can someone clarify this. Also how long does it take to obtain the needed document?

As far as all the supporting documents for the AOS go I have a few questions. First of all am i required to send in my last 3 years of tax documents or will just last years be sufficient? Last year I earned well over the 125% poverty level but the two years before that I was under that level. Will this be a problem? i can also provide check stubs showing i made as much in the last 6 months as I did all last year (due to working a lot of overtime). I hope that helps. I was also going to send an employer letter just in case. What needs to be included in the letter?

What has happened in the last few weeks has caught me by supprise I have to admit. Knowing how the government works i was expecting supprises but I thought they would be negative ones. I never would have guessed that I would go from NOA1 to NOA2 in 31 days. If it is possible to get through NVC to the interview in 4-5 months that means my wife and step son's case could go from I-130 filing to interview in about 6 months total. i have looked at some CR-1 timelines and I haven't seen one that went that fast yet. Everyone has told me 8 months minimum and count on it being a year. I was expecting my wife and step son to be here by maybe May at the soonest so i am not ready for this yet. if my math is correct they could possibly be here sometime between December and Febraury. The worst time of year for someone who has never experienced cold weather to come to Wisconsin. I better add winter clothes to the budget. Guess it's time to go back to 6 12 hour days a week at work for the forseeable future lol.

Good morning xmaricrix

You got your approval 7 days before me. Keep me updated on your case as it might be a good indicator of when I can expect things to happen.

Got my NOA2s in the mail yesterday. The letter says the NVC will contact the beneficiary with further steps. Does this mean they will send my wife something in the mail? Will I also recieve a copy of everything they send my wife?

I plan on gathiering most of the douments I need next week. Will NVC contact me when there is a case number or do I have to keep calling to find out?

They will email and mail.

The only things I don't have immediate access to are my wife and step son's passports and my wife's police clearance. Luckly I had my wife schedule the passport appointment a couple months ago and she should have the passports within a week or so because she had them expedited. As far as the police clearance goes my wife and I are a little confused about this. My wife said there is a difference between a police clearance and an NBI (think that is what she said) certificate. She thinks it is the NBI certificate that she needs. Can someone clarify this. Also how long does it take to obtain the needed document?

You need the NBI certificate. I'm pretty sure its a walk in, pay (of course), wait and walk out. Step son won't need one due to age. I also think that NVC has begun to accept copies of documents with originals shown at the interview. With everything going so well, I would probably invest in the P1000-2000 and have Lisa express the original and passport pages for you to submit. Someone with more recent submissions may want to correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as all the supporting documents for the AOS go I have a few questions. First of all am i required to send in my last 3 years of tax documents or will just last years be sufficient?

CY2015 is sufficient. NVC no longer requires 3 year history. 4 weeks pay stubs will substantiate current earnings.

Last year I earned well over the 125% poverty level but the two years before that I was under that level. Will this be a problem? i can also provide check stubs showing i made as much in the last 6 months as I did all last year (due to working a lot of overtime). I hope that helps. I was also going to send an employer letter just in case. What needs to be included in the letter?

Won't hurt. State start date, currently employed, anticipate continued employment on letterhead. There are samples scattered all over or I can PM you mine (if I haven't already).

What has happened in the last few weeks has caught me by supprise I have to admit. Knowing how the government works i was expecting supprises but I thought they would be negative ones. I never would have guessed that I would go from NOA1 to NOA2 in 31 days. If it is possible to get through NVC to the interview in 4-5 months that means my wife and step son's case could go from I-130 filing to interview in about 6 months total. i have looked at some CR-1 timelines and I haven't seen one that went that fast yet. Everyone has told me 8 months minimum and count on it being a year. I was expecting my wife and step son to be here by maybe May at the soonest so i am not ready for this yet. if my math is correct they could possibly be here sometime between December and Febraury. The worst time of year for someone who has never experienced cold weather to come to Wisconsin. I better add winter clothes to the budget. Guess it's time to go back to 6 12 hour days a week at work for the forseeable future lol.

You got your approval 7 days before me. Keep me updated on your case as it might be a good indicator of when I can expect things to happen.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

I plan on gathiering most of the douments I need next week. Will NVC contact me when there is a case number or do I have to keep calling to find out? The only things I don't have immediate access to are my wife and step son's passports and my wife's police clearance. Luckly I had my wife schedule the passport appointment a couple months ago and she should have the passports within a week or so because she had them expedited. As far as the police clearance goes my wife and I are a little confused about this. My wife said there is a difference between a police clearance and an NBI (think that is what she said) certificate. She thinks it is the NBI certificate that she needs. Can someone clarify this. Also how long does it take to obtain the needed document?

As far as all the supporting documents for the AOS go I have a few questions. First of all am i required to send in my last 3 years of tax documents or will just last years be sufficient? Last year I earned well over the 125% poverty level but the two years before that I was under that level. Will this be a problem? i can also provide check stubs showing i made as much in the last 6 months as I did all last year (due to working a lot of overtime). I hope that helps. I was also going to send an employer letter just in case. What needs to be included in the letter?

All your questions seem to have already been answered by Brassballs :) When a case number and invoice is assigned, NVC will email you & send a hard copy to your wife via snail mail. My husband got his copy a month after I got the email... which was useless because by that time I had already sent in our AOS & IV packages. When you fill out the DS-261 (Choice of Agent), that person will be the one who NVC will communicate with about everything. In my case, the agent is me.

It's very possible that you can have this whole process done and over with by Dec-Feb... it usually does take 8mon-1yr because the USCIS step normally takes at least 3-5mon, but you got approved in 1mon (lucky you) ;) My husband is arriving around September-October during fall, so he has a nice segue into the cold winter weather. I've been telling him to prepare himself because winter is no joke in the northeast lol.

Edited by xmaricrisx

USCIS Process:

NVC Process:

Interview Process:

Hi it gets very cold in the north east in the winter time I brought my wife here from the Philippines last February POE in Chicago and when she felt the cold for the first time like to have a heart attack but I had her bundled up. Good morning maricrix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.