Younes-Maria

Personal checking acounts .

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

A couple of days ago i was reading a topic about having several joint bank accounts and how it would affect ROC, my situation is a bit different though, my wife and and i have one joint checking account and i added her as authorized user to my credit card, the thing is that i am not on her other bank account which she had for long time (before we got married), but i have full access to it (i have the debit card pin number and access to online banking ).., we both work and get paid every two weeks , so what we basically do is deposit one check each every month, that goes for our expenses ( rent, phone, gas, cable tv , food etc....) .

I sometimes send some money to my family ( once in 3 months) that is why i opened a separate bank account and that is where i deposit my other check meanwhile i deposit my wife's other check in her personal checking account ( that is how we agreed to do when i first started working and we are both happy with it ) i would like to mention that sometimes we use our personal accounts to pay for a trip, dinner outside..etc..oh!!!! yes..we are planning to open a saving account in both names.

has anyone been in a similar situation?

would my situation raise any red flag to the IO at the time of ROC?

any advise or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Yes I am in the same situation. I have my wife on my checking but she doesnt have me on her checking. She said she have trust issues because her ex-husband always used her money and caused her financial problems. If I will be asked in an interview why she doesnt have me on her checking I will tell them the truth.

Timeline

Yes I am in the same situation. I have my wife on my checking but she doesnt have me on her checking. She said she have trust issues because her ex-husband always used her money and caused her financial problems. If I will be asked in an interview why she doesnt have me on her checking I will tell them the truth.

Thanks for the reply , i have been reading that there is no harm having additional personal bank account , let's just pray it won't be a problem when ROCing.

Good luck

Edited by Younes-Maria

Timeline

It's perfectly OK to have separate accounts. Just as long as you also have joint accounts with lots of activity. Send copies of bank statements of the joint accounts for ROC.

Thank for the insight , yes we have lots of activities in our joint account, we basically use it for everything , and we are saving copies since we opened it.

Its fine to have separate accounts and a joint account that sees regular use. I have a separate account and so does my husband that we use for savings from each of our pay checks. We use the joint account for day to day things expenses, bills, etc...

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.