rpeterson1991

Made a stupid mistake, will this affect us in the AOS interview?

10 posts in this topic

Hey all, petitioner here.

So I made a very stupid mistake that I regret. Last week I called USCIS to get a status update of my spouse's EAD. Since it's been well over 45 days of the AOS filing, I was transferred over to an Immigration Officer. The call wait time was about ~1.5 hours.

Once they returned my call, my wife was occupied with something important, and I couldn't get a hold of her. This is unfortunate, since the Officer told me that I need my wife's approval before giving me any information on the EAD application.

Well, already having a bad day, I was impatient and decided it was smart to get a female friend to fill in and act as my wife (I know.. not smart). The Officer asked her for (i) the name, (ii) DOB, and (iii) mailing address. My friend knew the first two, but not the last. I made a silly excuse, that she didn't know the address since we just recently moved into our place. The Officer said she was surprised that she didn't know her address, and won't release any information unless my wife gives her the 3 pieces of information. We then said we'll call back later and hung up.

I got nervous and called back the same day with my wife present, and we got the information we wanted without any issues.

Do you guys believe this act will come back to haunt me in the AOS interview? I'm trying to imagine how my dishonest action can affect her AOS application (after all, my wife had nothing to do with it). Thanks in advance!

Our Timeline:
---------------------- K1 PETITION PROCESS -----------------------------------
10/16/2013 - Started dating
12/27/2014 - Got engaged :D
08/25/2015 - I-129F sent
09/03/2015 - NOA1
09/25/2015 - NOA2
10/21/2015 - NVC case number assigned
10/21/2015 - Petition left NVC, sent to Buenos Aires embassy
10/27/2015 - BA embassy received
01/04/2016 - Interview
01/14/2016 - Approved!
01/25/2016 - K1 Visa received
03/18/2016 - Moved to the US!!
03/26/2016 - Married (L)
------------------------- AOS PROCESS ----------------------------------------------
4/13/2016 - Sent AOS + EAD + AP
4/18/2016 - The date written on "Received date" box on NOA1 (day 0)
4/21/2016 - Three Texts & Emails of AOS + EAP + AP case numbers (3 days)
4/22/2016 - NOA1 hard copy received by mail (4 days)

5/24/2016 - Biometrics appointment (36 days)

7/05/2016 - EAD online service requested (78 days)
7/16/2016 - 90th day
7/18/2016 - "New card is being produced" for EAD+AP (92 days)
7/21/2016 - EAD/AP sent via mail (95 days)
7/22/2016 - EAD/AP hard copy approval notice received via mail (96 days)
7/23/2016 - EAD Arrived in the mail ! (97 days)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well that wasn't a good idea but what's done is done. No one can really tell you if it will affect anything or not. I think it's doubtful but you should always be honest.

Btw, EAD/AP is taking the full 90 days to process. Use the search tool. There have been several prior posts about it.

Edited by LionessDeon

You can't even put in a service request until 75 days, but yeah calling they'll most likely tell you to either wait 75 days and service request, or to wait the 90 days, which is still about the average here and what it posted on the USCIS website.

With that said, you should NEVER do that again. They may ask about it if the officer posts a note, you just told them that you just moved, but you filed for AOS in April. You don't want them to think that either you moved again without reporting it, or anything else.

This is a process for the patient, while it may suck to have to do things on their time and when they want, you just have to do it that way.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Hey all, petitioner here.

So I made a very stupid mistake that I regret. Last week I called USCIS to get a status update of my spouse's EAD. Since it's been well over 45 days of the AOS filing, I was transferred over to an Immigration Officer. The call wait time was about ~1.5 hours.

Once they returned my call, my wife was occupied with something important, and I couldn't get a hold of her. This is unfortunate, since the Officer told me that I need my wife's approval before giving me any information on the EAD application.

Well, already having a bad day, I was impatient and decided it was smart to get a female friend to fill in and act as my wife (I know.. not smart). The Officer asked her for (i) the name, (ii) DOB, and (iii) mailing address. My friend knew the first two, but not the last. I made a silly excuse, that she didn't know the address since we just recently moved into our place. The Officer said she was surprised that she didn't know her address, and won't release any information unless my wife gives her the 3 pieces of information. We then said we'll call back later and hung up.

I got nervous and called back the same day with my wife present, and we got the information we wanted without any issues.

Do you guys believe this act will come back to haunt me in the AOS interview? I'm trying to imagine how my dishonest action can affect her AOS application (after all, my wife had nothing to do with it). Thanks in advance!

it was wrong but would not affect you guys. on a lighter note, how will USCIS know the person who called for information was the husband ? ;-)

it was wrong but would not affect you guys. on a lighter note, how will USCIS know the person who called for information was the husband ? ;-)

Well when you're directed to an IO, he has the MSC number transferred over by the USCIS representative. Since I'm obviously a man and the applicant is my wife, it's kind of obvious.

If they bring it up, I'll be completely honest with them. I'll just tell them I screwed up and my wife had nothing to do with it.

I doubt they'll bring it up though... since there's literally no conceivable gain that my wife could get from this, and so there's no reason to believe that she had any role in this...

Our Timeline:
---------------------- K1 PETITION PROCESS -----------------------------------
10/16/2013 - Started dating
12/27/2014 - Got engaged :D
08/25/2015 - I-129F sent
09/03/2015 - NOA1
09/25/2015 - NOA2
10/21/2015 - NVC case number assigned
10/21/2015 - Petition left NVC, sent to Buenos Aires embassy
10/27/2015 - BA embassy received
01/04/2016 - Interview
01/14/2016 - Approved!
01/25/2016 - K1 Visa received
03/18/2016 - Moved to the US!!
03/26/2016 - Married (L)
------------------------- AOS PROCESS ----------------------------------------------
4/13/2016 - Sent AOS + EAD + AP
4/18/2016 - The date written on "Received date" box on NOA1 (day 0)
4/21/2016 - Three Texts & Emails of AOS + EAP + AP case numbers (3 days)
4/22/2016 - NOA1 hard copy received by mail (4 days)

5/24/2016 - Biometrics appointment (36 days)

7/05/2016 - EAD online service requested (78 days)
7/16/2016 - 90th day
7/18/2016 - "New card is being produced" for EAD+AP (92 days)
7/21/2016 - EAD/AP sent via mail (95 days)
7/22/2016 - EAD/AP hard copy approval notice received via mail (96 days)
7/23/2016 - EAD Arrived in the mail ! (97 days)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well when you're directed to an IO, he has the MSC number transferred over by the USCIS representative. Since I'm obviously a man and the applicant is my wife, it's kind of obvious.

If they bring it up, I'll be completely honest with them. I'll just tell them I screwed up and my wife had nothing to do with it.

I doubt they'll bring it up though... since there's literally no conceivable gain that my wife could get from this, and so there's no reason to believe that she had any role in this...

It wont come up.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

That's some dumb move. You already called and know what they ask first before they release information, so why didn't you wrote that information down for her before letting her call. It would have been no crime for your own wife to call them 10 times in a day. There's no limit on how may times one can call. Good luck with the rest of your journey.

it is not obvious friend, someone else can pretend to be the husband to gain the info. not that i am trying to encourage wrongdoing here but just by calling and doing something like this would not have any affect on the outcome.

I would love to here you acting as your wife....:rofl:

Next time i would just have her call....no since getting un needed attention i would doubt this would come out but be honest if it does.

Good luck :thumbs:

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

That's some dumb move. You already called and know what they ask first before they release information, so why didn't you wrote that information down for her before letting her call. It would have been no crime for your own wife to call them 10 times in a day. There's no limit on how may times one can call. Good luck with the rest of your journey.

Why are you piling on OP? he already said "I made a stupid mistake" he doesn't need you to re affirm that.

Op people make mistakes, dont worry about it, the government isn't that thorough. if it did come up just be honest. but it wont.

Harry

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.