Henley1989

Getting student loans

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi There,

I moved the the USA half a year ago and I have been working for 4 months. I am in my 8th year of work, having never done post high school education.

Im looking into getting a bachelors online so that I can work and study in the evenings.

Has any British expat had luck with getting student loans? I already filled in a FAFSA form, but it has some hold ups im trying to fix.

Just looking around to see if anyone has done this and what they would recommend.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

My husband was able to gain access to student loans and grants after he was approved for his 2 yr greencard. (After AOS was completed) Prior to that, although here legally, the residency is in transition per say so loans are not an option. That being said, you can enroll in college in the interim, but would be 100% responsible for paying the tuition (no aid or loans).

Brief History

My husband arrived on a K1 also. He entered the US in April 2014, we married in May and completed the AOS process in September 2014. He started school the following semester (Jan 2015) and qualified for both grants and loans.

Hope that helps clarify things a little!

Awaiting Oath Ceremony for Citizenship! Last step!

Hi There,

I moved the the USA half a year ago and I have been working for 4 months. I am in my 8th year of work, having never done post high school education.

Im looking into getting a bachelors online so that I can work and study in the evenings.

Has any British expat had luck with getting student loans? I already filled in a FAFSA form, but it has some hold ups im trying to fix.

Just looking around to see if anyone has done this and what they would recommend.

Thanks

i am just curious what career path are you looking at ? reason i asked becasue, online bachelors cost a chunk and do not carry a lot of weight. you will see a bunch of arguments over this. future job prospects would be more if you will enroll as on campus student. Again, this does not apply to every career/trade/field an individual goes for.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

if your a green card holder u can , if not u can not

Thanks. I got my green card 2 months ago

My husband was able to gain access to student loans and grants after he was approved for his 2 yr greencard. (After AOS was completed) Prior to that, although here legally, the residency is in transition per say so loans are not an option. That being said, you can enroll in college in the interim, but would be 100% responsible for paying the tuition (no aid or loans).

Brief History

My husband arrived on a K1 also. He entered the US in April 2014, we married in May and completed the AOS process in September 2014. He started school the following semester (Jan 2015) and qualified for both grants and loans.

Hope that helps clarify things a little!

Thanks for that. I just got my 2 year greencard 2 months ago.

i am just curious what career path are you looking at ? reason i asked becasue, online bachelors cost a chunk and do not carry a lot of weight. you will see a bunch of arguments over this. future job prospects would be more if you will enroll as on campus student. Again, this does not apply to every career/trade/field an individual goes for.

Well that was my initial thought. I work in software as a customer facing consultant. Its not a role that involves much education, rather experience. The reason for wanting to do a course (Business management) is because here in the states degrees are a focus point of careers so I dont want to hinder my opportunities down the line. I dont want it to get to a point where I cant progress if I dont have a degree.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I think this is more a matter more of WHICH school would an online bachelor's be pursued through as a lot of very credible schools offer these programs now. (UofM, UC-Berkley, etc) and they carry the same, if not more, clout as on-campus (depending on career path).

Awaiting Oath Ceremony for Citizenship! Last step!

I think this is more a matter more of WHICH school would an online bachelor's be pursued through as a lot of very credible schools offer these programs now. (UofM, UC-Berkley, etc) and they carry the same, if not more, clout as on-campus (depending on career path).

Do you know the curriculum offered by a tier 3 school as well as a tier 1 school are almost identical. i can speak on behalf of my career field(STEM) and it is not very hard to get into online programs being offered by the best schools in the country and the contrary, it takes super good credentials to enter these schools as full time on campus students. i agree and back OP to go for online course for her chosen field. i will recommend her a PMP certificate. it is widely accepted, will cost her less and need lesser time to complete.to add more, most of these online bachelors are well accredited by the respective authorities but still a lot of employers do not prefer candidates with a online degrees but like you mentioned it all depends on one's chosen path. i agree with you on that.

Edited by almost_umrican

• 3 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.