NuZayetsPogodi

Filing i-129f from abroad

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I've called the USCIS about this several times and I get a different answer every time. :angry: So I'm hoping someone here can help. Since the story is so long, let me bulletpoint it:

-My fiance lives in Russia, I'm a USC with an extremely flexible and remote job

-I'm currently living in Russia with my fiance

-I filed I-129f at the end of May, was notified June 3rd of NOA-1

-On I-129f, I listed my mailing address as here in Russia. The I-129f form has space for the petitioner to write in a different province and country for a mailing address, so I assumed I could receive NOA's at my current mailing address. Apparently this is not true.

-On my cover letter with my I-129f, I included both my current mailing address (in Russia) and my permanent address (in the USA). The person checking my mail at home said I've not received any mail from USCIS.

-I cannot change my address online because there is no way to enter a foreign address.

-I called USCIS to change my address several times and continued to get conflicting information or I got disconnected.

So my questions for you experts:

1.) I've been told that I cannot receive NOA's abroad, but I've read some people have. Is there anyone who has received NOA's abroad?

2.) I can reorder new copies of NOA's - will it affect the process if I cannot get NOA's now?

3.) What's the fastest way to go about changing my mailing address, especially if I'm not sure where the USCIS is mailing my NOA's?

Thanks! :thumbs:

Hi NuZayets,

We are in a similar situation to you. Were both living and working in South Korea at the moment. The USCIS notified us they had received our I-129F on the 7th June via email and said wed receive our NOA1 within 7 10 days, but I guess thats a standard email for people who live in the US.

When we log-in with our receipt number it tells us that the NOA1 has been sent to us and that if we dont receive it by the 27th of July we should request another one. I was thinking as the time period is so long since they sent it it makes sense that it should be coming here to Korea. There is also a link for changing your address if you need to. It hasnt arrived at my fiancés parents house so Im fairly sure its on its way here.

Did staff at the USCIS tell you they don't send them abroad? If that's the case it's really unclear on the form!

Hope everything gets sorted out for you soon,

Bryony

I-129F Sent : 2016-06-04
I-129F NOA1 : 2016-06-08
I-129F NOA2 : 2016-08-10
NVC Received : 2016-08-24
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2016-08-24
NVC Left: 2016-08-31
Consulate Received: 2016-09-08
Packet 3 Received: 2016-09-12

Medical: 2016-10-07

Interview: 2016-11-03 - APPROVED!

Visa received: 2016-11-07

POE Dallas: 2017-02-24

Married: 2017-03-31 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well! Guess what came in the mail today! :)

So, I now have an answer to put out into the Internet for anyone else who might be Googling this question. YES, NOA's can be sent to foreign addresses (which makes perfect sense because there is a way on I-129f to have a foreign mailing address!). It's probably still a better idea to list a domestic address because then you won't be tormented for 3 weeks like we were, but we did indeed receive our NOA-1 at our Russian address. If you get a USCIS worker who tells you they WON'T be mailed abroad, that's not true. But, again, I still recommend listing a domestic address. :)

Glad to hear it! :)

I-129F Sent : 2016-06-04
I-129F NOA1 : 2016-06-08
I-129F NOA2 : 2016-08-10
NVC Received : 2016-08-24
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2016-08-24
NVC Left: 2016-08-31
Consulate Received: 2016-09-08
Packet 3 Received: 2016-09-12

Medical: 2016-10-07

Interview: 2016-11-03 - APPROVED!

Visa received: 2016-11-07

POE Dallas: 2017-02-24

Married: 2017-03-31 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello NuZayetsPogodi --

My fiancé and I are in the same boat as you, we're filing from abroad. We have receive our NOA1 (both e-notice & the physical mail). Here's to answer your question and hopefully help others that are filing from abroad.

1.) I've been told that I cannot receive NOA's abroad, but I've read some people have. Is there anyone who has received NOA's abroad?

You CAN receive NOA abroad. We did.

Once we receive the receipt email notice, I waited a week before creating a profile in the USCIS website. We notice a statement from USCIS that should the actual mail is not received 30 days after the e-notice we should call the 1-800 number and speak with a CS agent. After waiting for 30 days we have yet to receive our physical NOA1, I got a little nervous. After reading some info on VJ, I became a little paranoid, several members stated that 'You cannot / will not receive NOA while living abroad.' So as instructed we phoned the 1-800, spoke to the Immigration Officer, he said that it will take longer than usual for NOA to arrive in a non-US mailing address, but should we would like to nominate another address he'd be happy to help us. And so we did.

Three days after the phone call, we received the physical NOA1 in Bali Indonesia.

TLDR: it will take longer than usual but NOA definitely will arrive in your overseas address.

NOTE: Probably to avoid the nervous wait, nominate a US mailing address in your application (relatives / friends) and have them notify you ASAP as they receive a notice from USCIS.

2.) I can reorder new copies of NOA's - will it affect the process if I cannot get NOA's now?

Based on the conversation we had with the Immigration Agent, it wouldn't be possible to request a copy of NOA... but I don't know.

3.) What's the fastest way to go about changing my mailing address, especially if I'm not sure where the USCIS is mailing my NOA's?

Your best bet would be calling the 1800 number and speak to the CS and ask to connect you with an Immigration Agent. There will be a bit of wait (approx. 20-40 mins) prior to speaking to an Immigration Agent. You can set up a call back service; listen to the automated instruction on the line.

NOTE:

1. Should neither Beneficiary & Petitioner do not have an active US number, get a 3 month US number subscription from Skype, it's $23 and you will have a fully functioning US number that USCIS / Immigration officer can call you on, make sure your Skype is on-line.

2. Calling the 1-800 number could be a little frustrating because you might not know how to get connected to an actual person; we called from Bali Indonesa via Skype; and the only time we were able to speak with an agent was when we called at 8am California time.

Hope this helps?

MJ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.