JimmyLaaka

K1/AOS income requirements

7 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi. My USA fiance is currently a student in medical school and will not have an income until she starts her residency next year. She receives Loans as a student and has around 40k + in bank account. I am wondering for the K1 and affidavit will showing that much for savings work and will her loans count as income? I have about 50k and a job but i will quit my job to go over once i get K1 so will not have an income during that period however i have 50K in the bank but i am not sure if i can combine my savings with hers.....so im wondering if savings without current income is enough for K1 AOS..or how does it work because im sure plenty of K1 petitioners may not be current job holders and may be students full time etc. Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If they accepted assets only, $40k is not enough. It needs to be a bare minimum of 3 times the amount you are short on income. If there is no income, then you need a little more than $60k for a household size of 2.

You would need to contact the consulate and ask them if your assets of $50k can be used for obtaining a K-1 visa.

If not, then find a co-sponsor.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Ok but does the beneficiary's income matter for K1 because i have a job, the petitioner doesn't since she is in medical school using loans. Also why cant i combine my savings with petitioners savings, i think i read the petitioner has to get a sponsor but cant be the beneficiary or something

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Your income does not matter because it will not continue. You are getting a visa to move away and live in the US. The I-134 for the K-1 visa doesn't allow for combining incomes. When you are married and filing for AOS, the I-864 will allow the immigrant spouse's assets to be added and combined with the USC petitioner/sponsor's.

The USC petitioner has no income. Your best bet would be for her to find a co-sponsor. It can be any USC or permanent resident that is 18+, and has enough income for their own household size plus the foreign fiance(e). They provide their own separate I-134 and supporting documents.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Oh so when it comes time for AOS we can combine savings. It turns out my US fiance petitioner has around 70,000 in savings. So that should be enough to cover K1 and AOS alone without any current income i believe.

Don't worry . Ireland COs accepts assets. You will be fine. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.