amren

Email vs Postal mail processing- NVC

28 posts in this topic

I am confused which method to choose. I have been advised that if you send an email the file size needs to be under 5MB. Currently I've got 10MB. Spoke to NVC and they said you can send two emails of 5MB each. But then it defeats the purpose of sending everything in "One" package.

Can someone please share their experience of sending AOS and IV documents by email.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

you will be filling in the support document and visa application online and submitting them that way directly to NVC after receiving the 2 different notifications to pay the fees

Print out the documents before you send them for your own records

Good luck

Thanks.. Sorry I should have been more explicit. I was talking about submitting proof of financial documents and submitting civil documents et al

you will be filling in the support document and visa application online and submitting them that way directly to NVC after receiving the 2 different notifications to pay the fees

Print out the documents before you send them for your own records

Good luck

In EP it's fine to send several emails. They wont process until they get everything anyhow, just like snail mail. But they get everything instantly instead of days to weeks apart.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Assume each attachment needs to be 5MB as opposed to the entire email being 5 MB

In EP it's fine to send several emails. They wont process until they get everything anyhow, just like snail mail. But they get everything instantly instead of days to weeks apart.

I would think so but im not sure how big of an email they can recieve. Typically anything over 25mb for an entire email would be rejected by an email provider, but as its the US government im not sure if the restriction is on email size or attachment size.

I would think just attachment size. Im no where near my husband to ask either! Sorry! (He works for the FAA.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks appreciate your inputs. Some people on the forum in previous threads say they have sent email with an attachment of 11MB. So assuming its ok but yeah hard to know exactly.

I would think so but im not sure how big of an email they can recieve. Typically anything over 25mb for an entire email would be rejected by an email provider, but as its the US government im not sure if the restriction is on email size or attachment size.

I would think just attachment size. Im no where near my husband to ask either! Sorry! (He works for the FAA.)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

did you try compressing the files ?

mine was around 12 mb , compressed to 9 mb and sent it to the NVC

USCIS:

FedEx overnight I-130: December 17, 2015
NOA1 hard copy received: January 1, 2016

NOA2 hard copy received: April 24, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------
NVC:

Case and IIN Assigned: May 4, 2016

Choice of Agent (DS-261): May 4, 2016

AOS Fee paid: May 4, 2016

IV Fee Paid: May 6, 2016

DS-260 Completed: May 14 , 2016

Case Complete : June 8,2016

EMBASSY:

Medical Completed : July 22, 2016 review link

Interview : July 28, 2016 APPROVED !!!! review link

Visa issued : July 29, 2016

Visa in hand : August 3, 2016

POE : August 4, 2016 Montreal, Canada

224 days start to finish :dancing:

SSC in hand : August 15 , 2016

Green card : January 14th , 2017

-----------------------------------------------------------

ROC

packet sent : May 5, 2018

package received : May 7, 2018

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Submit_documents.html

Here's what they say: Please place your case number in the subject line of the email and keep your attachments below five megabytes (MB)

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i am talking about the same

i did all mine after paying the fees online

it directs you to the site to fill out online and submit

I sent nothing by mail or email

all was online

Edited by Adil & Jeanne

Are you talking about DS 260? Sorry I am slightly confused. On this site its says to email documents to nvcelectronic@state.gov (https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Submit_documents.html)%C2'>

i am talking about the same

i did all mine after paying the fees online

it directs you to the site to fill out online and submit

I sent nothing by mail or email

all was online

And they still processed your case? Didn't reject it or asked for RFE or anything?

How did you compress your files in one email?

did you try compressing the files ?

mine was around 12 mb , compressed to 9 mb and sent it to the NVC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Are you talking about DS 260? Sorry I am slightly confused. On this site its says to email documents to nvcelectronic@state.gov (

And they still processed your case? Didn't reject it or asked for RFE or anything?

How did you compress your files in one email?

i missed one document , that was the only RFE i got

otherwise it all went fine

i had 16 attachments to the one email i sent ( the attachments sizes were from 250-700 kb ) well below their limit of 5 mb

they don't need high quality attachments , all they need is a decent quality copies of your documents , anyway you have to show all of them at your interview .

compress the pdf using acrobat , don't forget to have your case number on all the scanned pdf docs

USCIS:

FedEx overnight I-130: December 17, 2015
NOA1 hard copy received: January 1, 2016

NOA2 hard copy received: April 24, 2016
NVC:

Case and IIN Assigned: May 4, 2016

Choice of Agent (DS-261): May 4, 2016

AOS Fee paid: May 4, 2016

IV Fee Paid: May 6, 2016

DS-260 Completed: May 14 , 2016

Case Complete : June 8,2016

EMBASSY:

Medical Completed : July 22, 2016 review link

Interview : July 28, 2016 APPROVED !!!! review link

Visa issued : July 29, 2016

Visa in hand : August 3, 2016

POE : August 4, 2016 Montreal, Canada

224 days start to finish :dancing:

SSC in hand : August 15 , 2016

Green card : January 14th , 2017

-----------------------------------------------------------

ROC

packet sent : May 5, 2018

package received : May 7, 2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm wondering the same thing......I want to send in some more relationship evidence ect. and didn't want to send in so many files and emails. Does anyone know if there is a big time difference over FEDEX or email filing besides the 2 days to get there?

Timeline

03/09/2016: I-130 Sent
03/11/2016: USPS Delivery Confirmation
03/15/2016: NOA1 text/E-mail
03/17/2016: NOA1 I-797 by reg. mail ( PD date 03/11/2016 )

06/17/2016: NOA2 Received text and email

06/28/2016: NVC received

07/11/2016:Submit DS-261

07/12/2016: Received DS-261 / AOS Bill

07/13/2016: Receive IV bill and paid IV bill

07/14/2016: Sent package IV package

07/15/2016: DS-260 released and completed

07/15/2016: Scan date

08/16/2016: Case Complete

08/18/2016: Received interview letter today interview scheduled for /09/28/2016

09/28/2016: Interviewed and approved !

10/01/2018: Filed I-751to remove conditions

10/09/2018: Received Text saying case received  ( Nebraska )

10/10/2018 Check cashed

11/19/2018: Received the 18 month extension letter in mail 

07/02/2019: Biometric Appointment.

09/09/2019: Received notice new card is being produced

09/16/2016: Received 10 year Green Card

You don't need to send relationship evidence as that was established at the USCIS stage. On the NVC site it clearly states to provide evidence if you have submitted I-864A (sponsor): https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Step_4_Collect_Financial_Documents.html

If you completed Form I-864A, submit evidence that proves your relationship to the sponsor (the person who filed Form I-864). You can prove your relationship by submitting a photocopy of one of the documents below:

• Birth certificate;
  • Marriage certificate;
  • Adoption certificate;
  • The petitioner or joint sponsor’s most recent Federal Income Tax Returns, if you are listed as a dependent; or
  • A signed, written statement describing the relationship.

I'm wondering the same thing......I want to send in some more relationship evidence ect. and didn't want to send in so many files and emails. Does anyone know if there is a big time difference over FEDEX or email filing besides the 2 days to get there?

Generally EP is much faster especially for China

Edited by NLR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.