quesma

Applied for AOS. I have a medical question (merged)

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi. I came to US on a K1 visa. I married within 90 days and now I have applied for Adjustment of Status and the case is pending. After a month I came here I went to hospital due to fever in the middle of the night. I was taken to emergency. The nurse or the doctor checked me and gave me just two tablets and sent me home. A week ago I got a hefty bill of over $4000. I am now in a big problem. I want to get help to pay this off. Can I get Medi-Cal insurance to pay this bill? My wife in unemployed and I am waiting on my EAD card to start working. I am a qualified engineer and expect to make a good living but cant do that yet as I do not have my EAD yet. Please help!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Did you have insurance before the emergency? I doubt you will find one that's retroactive

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

I am wondering how you got approved for a K-1 if your wife is not working. What does she do for insurance? When you go to a hospital, you are responsible for the bill. Lesson learned, not being a smart-a$$, go to a walk-in clinic, which is much cheaper, unless you are in a life or death situation. When you use a service, you are expected to pay. I'll bet the hospital will work with you on a payment plan. You need to call them, explain your case, and see if you can work out a payment plan.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

You can pay as little as $25 a month to the hospital and the bill will not be put on your credit report. You do need to have insurance it is one of the things your wife or sponsor is required to get for you. If you get government assistant, I am not sure how it affects the AOS. Maybe some else can give insight into it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi. I came to US on a K1 visa. I married within 90 days and now I have applied for Adjustment of Status and the case is pending. After a month I came here I went to hospital due to fever in the middle of the night. I was taken to emergency. The nurse or the doctor checked me and gave me just two tablets and sent me home. A week ago I got a hefty bill of over $4000. I am now in a big problem. I want to get help to pay this off. Can I get Medi-Cal insurance to pay this bill? My wife in unemployed and I am waiting on my EAD card to start working. I am a qualified engineer and expect to make a good living but cant do that yet as I do not have my EAD yet. Please help!!!

Don't go to an ER if it's not a matter of life and death. They have super expensive base prices ( a fee you pay just for walking into the ER ). So basically it sounds like you paid a whole bunch of money to go to the ER to get two ibuprofen or similar (fever reducing medicine) and sent home.

Do yourself a favor and just buy that from the store to have at home and next time try to fine a walk in clinic. Also you have to get a health insurance or you will have to pay a fine for not having one.

How were you approved for a K1? Did you guys have a sponsor since it sounds like your wife did not have enough to support the two of you alone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

This is certainly a lesson learned for you. It's a painful lesson, though. It's a mistake a lot of people made. I've done something similar when I had the flu on the weekend and nothing else was open than a stand alone emergency room. I paid the price for that. It hurt.

For future reference, lots of cvs, Walgreen, and even some grocery stores depending on where you live have walk-in clinics that will handle things like the flu, strep throat, fevers, ear infections, things like that. Their fees are pretty reasonable.

At this point, you'll just have to work with the hospital on a payment plan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You do need to have insurance it is one of the things your wife or sponsor is required to get for you.

That's totally not true. it's not required or mandatory.

But yeah topic starter need read how medical system works here not to get into big debt over something petty like fewer.

Oh, what a day, what a lovely day!

Timeline

That's totally not true. it's not required or mandatory.

But yeah topic starter need read how medical system works here not to get into big debt over something petty like fewer.

The USC is not required to get you one. You are responsible for that yourself. But having an insurance is a must now or you have to pay a penalty.

The Emergency Room for a fever? Man, if I did that every time I'd come down with the flu or similar I'd be bankrupt. Definitely use this as a lesson learned to take less than emergency care to somewhere that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Ibuprofen and Paracetamol are great things to keep in the medicine cupboard for times like this. Unless you're not getting better over the course of a few days, rushing straight for medical care is just going to put you into debt.

I think you're out of luck with having any assistance other than a payment plan with the hospital, but you need to make sure you have some form of insurance for the future. Think the penalty on the end of year tax forms is something to the tune of $600.

AOS

09/02/2015 - Enter United States @ Raleigh Durham International Airport, NC under VWP

14/02/2015 - Fly to San Francisco, CA

09/05/2015 - I-94 Expires

22/05/2015 - Civil Surgeon Medical Examination

28/05/2015 - Received Sealed Envelope

04/07/2015 - Married in Vegas

14/08/2015 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 to Chicago Lockbox

21/08/2015 - Emails/Texts of Acceptance for I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131

24/08/2015 - I-130 & I-485 Cheques Cashed

27/08/2015 - Paper NOA1 Received

14/09/2015 - Biometrics Letter Received

23/09/2015 - Biometrics Complete

17/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Produced

21/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

24/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Delivered

31/10/2015 - Received SSN

06/02/2016 - Interview Notice Delivered by Post

09/03/2016 - Interview

09/03/2016 - Approved at Interview + Card Ordered

14/03/2016 - Green Card Mailed

16/03/2016 - Green Card Received

ROC

05/02/2018 - Sent I-751 to California Service Centre

07/02/2018 - I-751 Received

09/02/2018 - Extension Letter Arrived in Post

12/05/2018 - Biometrics Reused Letter

18/08/2018 - 18 Months Extension Letter

19/04/2019 - 1-751 Approved + Card Produced

Naturalisation

09/12/2018 - Sent N-400 Application Online

14/12/2018 - Received Paper NOA1

02/01/2019 - Biometrics Scheduled

06/02/2019 - Biometrics Rescheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Didn't your wife advised you of the price (and no need when just a fewer) of going to the ER when you don't have insurance??

Edited by Georgia16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The USC is not required to get you one. You are responsible for that yourself. But having an insurance is a must now or you have to pay a penalty.

That's hardly a penalty

the individual shared responsibility payment is paid when you filing your taxes

Having insurance is of course the best but if you're sure you don't need medical coverage it's cheaper than paying for insurance plan

Oh, what a day, what a lovely day!

You're going to have to work out a payment plan with the hospital and pay the bill. If it is not paid, it will eventually go into bill collections. Insurance is not retro-active and will not pay for treatment that happened prior to receiving insurance. There is no reason why you couldn't have obtained health insurance upon your marriage and nothing stopping you from obtaining it now. If unemployment is a factor, then this is something your wife will have to work on. How are you being supported? All persons residing in the US must have health insurance or pay a penalty. This doesn't mean you don't have to obtain health insurance if you feel the risk is worth it vs cost factors, but if you do not, the tax penalty will apply. The USC has no responsibility or requirement to obtain the immigrant health insurance, health insurance isn't off limits to immigrants, and it's certainly not a requirement for immigration purposes.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

That's hardly a penalty

the individual shared responsibility payment is paid when you filing your taxes

Having insurance is of course the best but if you're sure you don't need medical coverage it's cheaper than paying for insurance plan

$695 per adult for someone who can't afford healthinsurance (or is dumb enough not to get it) seems like a penalty.

And what do you mean individual shared responsibility? Sounds pretty contradictive. Something is either individual or it's shared.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Individual Shared Responsibility Payment is the pretty name they gave the penalty fee for not having insurance. The so-called Affordable Care Act is not actually affordable for a lot of people. $695(or 2.5% of household income above filing threshold) is what the penalty will be for 2016 taxes, and is much much cheaper than paying that much(or slightly less) per month.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.