david morehead

American trying to get his Korean wife a IR-1 visa ASAP!

15 posts in this topic

Here is my situation...

Background info: I'm a US citizen (lived in Korea for 7+ years). My wife iS South Korean. We have been married for 4-1/2 years. I have a new job starting on August 20th in America (salary $49,000)

- I'm mailing in my 2015 taxes on June 7th from South Korea to the US.

- I will complete my 2014 and 2013 taxes by June 10th (if things go smoothly)

- I'm flying out of Korea on July 31st, about 8 weeks from now. My wife plans to fly to America 4 to 8 weeks after my departure on July 31st.

Q1) The IR-1 DCF spouse visa (via the American Embassy in South Korea) seems like the best option but is there any chance I could go through the entire visa process in 8 weeks?

Q2) Because I don't have my 2015 taxes filed, do I have to wait until I have the tax "receipt" to move forward? Can I show a copy of the filed out tax forms and have the taxes sent certified mail so that I can prove they have been mailed? Is it worth filing the I-130 if I don't know when my 2015 tax receipt will be received?

Q3) If the 8 weeks isn't long enough to complete the process, what would be my 2nd best option so that my wife can start working in America ASAP!!!

1) start the IR-1 DCF visa process here in South Korea and finish it in America...if this is even possible?

2) get a K-3 visa and then apply in America for the IR-1?

3) just go through the visa process once my wife is in America? (I'm pretty sure this option is the worst!)

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. My head is spinning and my wife really doesn't want to sit idle in America for 6 months. I'm hoping someone out there can guide me through this!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will be more than 8 weeks, realistically - with taxes and other documents to gather, and wait for interview. See https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/ptIntlIntro.do

Q3-2 is not going to happen.

Q3-3 is fraud.

Good luck :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Q1- possible, it took us about 6 weeks (different embassy), but I wouldn't count on it.

Q2- you can show the taxes filed. Chances are by interview time, you will have a receipt of them getting it anyways. File now, so the I-130 is approved before you leave South Korea.

Q3- a.no, not possible.

b. K3 takes over a year, it is much slower than DCF

c. It would be visa fraud and illegal for your wife to travel on a tourist visa and then stay in the USA

DCF is super fast, you are priviledged to have it. There is a good chance your wife will need to wait a bit longer in South Korea, but that is better than risking a ban from visa fraud. My suggestion is to include a cover letter with the filing explaining the situation and asking for them to move on the case asap.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thanks for all the advise. I was very very very confused because I was under the impression that my wife and I were both required to be present for the interview. After doing some more reading, it appears that ONLY my wife is required for the interview.

If someone can verify this, that I can leave for America and my wife can complete the interview/visa process alone, that would be greatly appreciated!

My new salary will be $49,000 so that eliminates me from needing a sponsor!!!!!!!

Future salary is not primarily considered as it is not guaranteed. You will need to show previous years salary and employment history.

Quite possible that you may still need a sponsor.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Yeah you only have to file the I-130 before leaving, and will not need to be present at the interview.

Your salary from the new job will only count if you started it by the time her interview comes around, a signed job contract is not enough.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

You are very lucky to have DCF! I've been married for over 15 years, we have 3 kids and because there is no DCF in Australia where we live, my husband's greencard will take abou 16 months, and I will quite possibly have to move back to US by myself with the 3 young kids to prove domicile without him for up to 6 months! Be grateful and get I-130 in. If you have to go back to S Korea once that's no big deal, just advise your new employer that it may happen

Future salary is not primarily considered as it is not guaranteed. You will need to show previous years salary and employment history.

Quite possible that you may still need a sponsor.

I'm a little confused still...

My salary in Korea was over $36,045 (the 125% over the poverty line for 2 people) for the past 3 years. Will this help eliminate me from needing a sponsor? Or will they simply look at my US taxes and see my US income as $0?

Will having X amount in savings effect my standing?

If you can't tell...I'm really trying to get out of needing a sponsor haha

THANKS!

You are very lucky to have DCF! I've been married for over 15 years, we have 3 kids and because there is no DCF in Australia where we live, my husband's greencard will take abou 16 months, and I will quite possibly have to move back to US by myself with the 3 young kids to prove domicile without him for up to 6 months! Be grateful and get I-130 in. If you have to go back to S Korea once that's no big deal, just advise your new employer that it may happen

Thank you for giving me some perspective on the situation. It appears I have it easy compared to people coming from Australia. Best of luck to you and your family!!!

Timeline

You are in a tricky situation, salary wise; your past Korean salary will not count because income must be current and ongoing, and that will stop when you move to the USA. Your future salary in the USA will only count once you actually start the job; a job offer, even a firm one, will not count. So from that point of view, you moving first, without the wife, and then being able to send back a few paystubs and a letter from your employer saying you started, and that the job is stable and long term, would help.

The other options are a co=sponsor, or sponsoring her on assets.

mod penguin.jpg

You are in a tricky situation, salary wise; your past Korean salary will not count because income must be current and ongoing, and that will stop when you move to the USA. Your future salary in the USA will only count once you actually start the job; a job offer, even a firm one, will not count. So from that point of view, you moving first, without the wife, and then being able to send back a few paystubs and a letter from your employer saying you started, and that the job is stable and long term, would help.

The other options are a co=sponsor, or sponsoring her on assets.

Thank you so much for all this information. I've read through a lot of information about sponsoring my wife via my "assests" but it never gives a $ amount that is required.

I have approximately $135,000 between my American and Korean bank accounts. Is this enough to qualify as her sponsor???

Q1- possible, it took us about 6 weeks (different embassy), but I wouldn't count on it.

Q2- you can show the taxes filed. Chances are by interview time, you will have a receipt of them getting it anyways. File now, so the I-130 is approved before you leave South Korea.

Q3- a.no, not possible.

b. K3 takes over a year, it is much slower than DCF

c. It would be visa fraud and illegal for your wife to travel on a tourist visa and then stay in the USA

DCF is super fast, you are priviledged to have it. There is a good chance your wife will need to wait a bit longer in South Korea, but that is better than risking a ban from visa fraud. My suggestion is to include a cover letter with the filing explaining the situation and asking for them to move on the case asap.

Quick question about the I-130 form....

B. Information About You (Address)

I'm still living in Korea (and will file the I-130 while in Korea) so should I put my current Korean address or the US address that I'm moving to in 8 weeks?

My wife and I are moving out of our Korean house on July 31st so chances are I'll be living in America and she will be living at a different address by the time her interview rolls around.

Thank you so much for all this information. I've read through a lot of information about sponsoring my wife via my "assests" but it never gives a $ amount that is required.

I have approximately $135,000 between my American and Korean bank accounts. Is this enough to qualify as her sponsor???

I found some information! It was just past where I stopped reading ahhhhh.

My assets must be at least 3 times the difference between my household income and poverty guidelines for my household.

Timeline

Use your Korean address for the I-130, as you are filing DCF. You can change the address for her when she moves to a new place.

Yes, your assets sound plenty, if it is just you and the wife, you'll need about $66'000. Some embassies want the assets to be US based, so if you can transfer as much as possible over to the US account that would help. BTW, we sponsored me on assets too, it is quite common for those filing DCF.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Just to chime in on the DCF thing, Embassy in Greece... we got SO MANY RFEs (which were outside of their instructions btw, they just kept asking for more and more evidence), we are 4+ months, almost 5 months and still no visa!!
It was supposed to take maximum 3 months...but you never know with REFs and *gasp*, APs!!!!! :(

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

2011 - Met hubby online and became friends
Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)
January 2016 - Finished gathering all documents and getting them translated
* * DCF in Athens, Greece * *

28th January 2016 - Finally filed I-130s
29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

September 2016 - Hubby is diagnosed with congestive heart failure
October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

October 2017 - March 2018 - Situation at home is toxic. He files for divorce.

July 2018 - Divorce is final. I have full custody of our daughter.

ROC (GC expires July 19th 2018)

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

August 30th - NOA1 received with 18 month extension (fee waiver approved).

March 28th 2019 - Biometrics

August 8th 2019 - Case Approved No RFE No Interview - 10 year GC in production

N400 (Online - Detroit, MI office)
June 6th 2023 - Applied for naturalization under 5 year rule.
June 7th 2023 - Application received/Biometric will be reused.
June 16th - Interview scheduled.
July 27th - Upcoming interview.

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.