27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi everybody. I'm currently in the US after having come here from the EU on a K1 visa. We have not yet been married as I was hesitant to rush and now that the 90 days are nearing an end, I am having second thoughts.

What should I do?

What happens if I leave within the 90 days? Will it make travelling to the US again more difficult? What if my fiancee and I get back together in a few years time and we want to apply for K1 again? Or if I meet someone else and want to apply with them?

Edited by josmith

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~moved from k1 process to effects of major family changes on immigration benefits~

~similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

If you leave by the date in your I-94, no overstay, should be able to visit US again with VWP.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

if your not sure, don't marry and return home. As for filing in future IF things work out later , all you can do is try and tell USCIS why you went through K1 process and why you did not marry, honesty is the best policy. As for doing a K1 with someone else , again, honesty is the best policy, its their decision to approve or not.

What ever you do now, don't overstay if you don't marry, go home. you don't need a banned from the US for an overstay.

That is by far the most important advice. If you leave and go home before 90 days, you could very well come in the future on a K-1, although probably not in the next few years and with some explanation required.

On the marriage front, if you're not sure, remember that it's a legal contract. Depending on the state, assets and earnings may become completely joint. This isn't something to approach casually.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

RE Ban: when you've overstayed for 180 days you receive a 3 year ban, and a 10 year ban for 365+ days. There is no ban for leaving on day 91...

However, to make sure you can use the VWP leave before the 90 days are up so you can continue to visit the USA without having to get a B2 visa.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you. Best of luck in the future.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

As long as you leave before overstaying 90 days, you will be able to reenter again through the VWP. If you change your mind, you can always return hassle free on a K1 visa

Adjustment of Status Process

03/28/2016: Sent AOS Package + EAD Application to Chicago Lockbox by FedEx Courier (Day 0)

04/02/2016: Fedex Tracking indicates package received and signed for (Day 5)

04/07/2016: Received by Chicago Lockbox (three texts and emails received) (Day 10)

04/11/2016: Three NOA1's received in the mail (Day 14)

04/29/2016: Received Biometric Appointment Letter for 12th May (Day 32)

05/05/2016: Early biometrics walkin at USCIS Wichita (Day 38)

05/11/2016: Case is Ready to be scheduled for an interview (Day 44)

05/12/2016: Submitted EAD Expedite Request (Day 45)

05/23/2016: EAD Expedite Request assigned to officer for response (Day 56)

06/01/2016: EAD Approved - two emails received - Post Activity now on EAD (Day 65)

06/05/2016: EAD Card has been mailed (Day 69)

06/07/2016: EAD Received in the mail (Day 71)

09/07/2016: AOS Interview - approved!!!

09/14/2016: Green Card received in the mail

Removal of Conditions of AOS

- Package to be sent on 06/07/2018

Filed: IR-5 Country: Seychelles
Timeline

This is exactly the purpose of the 90 days K1 Visa, to come and visit decide if you want to get married and continue the process or decide the marriage will not work, in this case you are not breaking any laws and will not be banned as long as you leave the country prior to the expiration of the 90 days. I am sure you are not the only one who have decided not to get married and went back home. Down the road if you and your future fiance decide to go through the process, It should not be an issue. If any questions comes up then just be honest in answering and explaining why the first K1 did not work out for you.

As most suggested, do not overstay.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

1. This is exactly the purpose of the 90 days K1 Visa, to come and visit decide if you want to get married and continue the process or decide the marriage will not work

2. Down the road if you and your future fiance decide to go through the process, It should not be an issue. If any questions comes up then just be honest in answering and explaining why the first K1 did not work out for you.

1. No, it isn't.

2. This is accurate.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-5 Country: Seychelles
Timeline

1. No, it isn't.

2. This is accurate.

TBoneTx... can you please elaborate on No 1 if you don't mind. Why is it called K1 fiance visa with 90 days to marry? Must be something that I am missing and would like to more about...Thanks!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi everybody. I'm currently in the US after having come here from the EU on a K1 visa. We have not yet been married as I was hesitant to rush and now that the 90 days are nearing an end, I am having second thoughts.

What should I do?

What happens if I leave within the 90 days? Nothing since leaving within 90 days leaves you in compliance with your allowed time in the US. Will it make travelling to the US again more difficult? Possibly since you have a US tie - your fiance. You should be able to use the VWP to travel. Don't worry about this. What if my fiancee and I get back together in a few years time and we want to apply for K1 again? Perfectly fine to pursue it again. Or if I meet someone else and want to apply with them? Perfectly okay.

TBoneTx... can you please elaborate on No 1 if you don't mind. Why is it called K1 fiance visa with 90 days to marry? Must be something that I am missing and would like to more about...Thanks!

The K1 is a non-immigrant visa with immigrant intent. The point of the K1 visa is to give you time to get married, not time to decide if you want to marry. However, it's permissible to not get married and to leave the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.