Andrea&Henry

US passport after Oath Ceremony: send application or apply in person?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I became an US citizen a few days ago and I want (and need) to get my passport (my foreign passport is expired). I know I can go in person to an USPS to apply but can I send my application instead?

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

First time applicants must appear in person.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/first-time.html

I'm not sure how the Post Office works (appointment-only, etc.) but I submitted my passport application at a Clerk of the Court Annex which was very easy because it was nearly empty. They charged $25 (I think) to be the accepting agent, but otherwise very easy. Maybe your county has that option as well if the Post Office is too busy.

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I became an US citizen a few days ago and I want (and need) to get my passport (my foreign passport is expired). I know I can go in person to an USPS to apply but can I send my application instead?

All first time passport applicants must apply in person.

Post offices don't require appointments, only the Passport Agencies for expedited service for an incoming trip or to obtain a foreign visa with itinerary impending.

But yes, first time applicants must appear in person, and after the passport person has confirmed that you have all the necessary documents, they will ask you to raise your right hand and swear that all the information you've submitted is correct to the best of your knowledge.

The odd thing I experienced was that I couldn't pay the passport fees all on one check. I had one written for $165, but was told I could pay with a debit card. I asked about using a credit card, and the passport person said that credit can only be used to pay for the $25 processing. Even if I wanted to pay by check, the $25 would still be separate. So strange. I ended up putting everything on my debit.

Edited by akihon

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Timeline

Post offices don't require appointments, only the Passport Agencies for expedited service for an incoming trip or to obtain a foreign visa with itinerary impending.

But yes, first time applicants must appear in person, and after the passport person has confirmed that you have all the necessary documents, they will ask you to raise your right hand and swear that all the information you've submitted is correct to the best of your knowledge.

The odd thing I experienced was that I couldn't pay the passport fees all on one check. I had one written for $165, but was told I could pay with a debit card. I asked about using a credit card, and the passport person said that credit can only be used to pay for the $25 processing. Even if I wanted to pay by check, the $25 would still be separate. So strange. I ended up putting everything on my debit.

Good to know about being walk-in. In my case, the Court Clerk Annex is within walking distance from my house and the P.O. isn't so it was easier and no line of people buying stamps!

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the "Passports, etc." subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Not all, but some USPS locations do require an appointment. And for those that do, next available appt. may be months away, so it's always best to check ahead. You can call them directly or you can check Travel.state.gov website and navigate to "Where to apply". After entering your zip code, all nearby locations will be displayed where you can see whether or not they require an appointment.

I-751

01/27/09 Sent to CSC

01/29/09 Delivered to CSC

02/02/09 Check Cashed

02/04/09 NOA received, dated 01/29/09

02/13/09 Biometrics Appt letter Received

02/24/09 Biometrics done

04/08/09 Approval notice in mail (Dated 04/03/09)

05/21/09 Called USCIS "Where is my GC?"

06/01/09 Received 10 yr GC

N-400

03/03/10 Sent to Phoenix, AZ

03/05/10 Delivered to Phoenix, AZ

03/15/10 Check cashed

03/17/10 NOA received, dated 03/13/10

03/18/10 Online status indicates RFE was mailed

03/22/10 Biometrics Appt letter Received

04/12/10 Biometrics done

05/01/10 Email Notification from USCIS " Case transfered to a local office for a standard interview"

05/05/10 Interview letter received

06/17/10 Interview

06/28/10 Oath Ceremony. I am a U.S Citizen!!!

Filed: Timeline

First time applicants must appear in person.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/first-time.html

I'm not sure how the Post Office works (appointment-only, etc.) but I submitted my passport application at a Clerk of the Court Annex which was very easy because it was nearly empty. They charged $25 (I think) to be the accepting agent, but otherwise very easy. Maybe your county has that option as well if the Post Office is too busy.

hey ryna:

Where is the Clerk of the Court Annex? I need to visit there if no rush, the post office attached to my area is always crowded.

When did you apply and how long the whole passport application take? I know there is an expedited option.

Lastly, does Orlando USCIS office have the passport application booth right after the OAth ceremony, some offices do. I have my Oath in the next one week.

TIA.

Timeline

hey ryna:

Where is the Clerk of the Court Annex? I need to visit there if no rush, the post office attached to my area is always crowded.

When did you apply and how long the whole passport application take? I know there is an expedited option.

Lastly, does Orlando USCIS office have the passport application booth right after the OAth ceremony, some offices do. I have my Oath in the next one week.

TIA.

I applied back in 2009 and I didn't expedite. I think it arrived in under the 6 weeks stated but I honestly don't remember because I had applied 6 months before I needed it. I also don't know if Orlando USCIS has a booth at the oath ceremony or not. My wife passed her interview last week but is still waiting for her ceremony to be scheduled so we haven't been yet.

For Orange County, any of these will accept passport applications. The main courthouse on Orange Ave. would be the busiest, but I would imagine that the others would be faster (to apply, not to receive the passport, of course.)

Passport applications are accepted at the following Clerk locations:

• Orange County Courthouse: 425 North Orange Ave., Room 355
  • Apopka branch: 1111 North Rock Springs Rd.
  • Goldenrod branch: 684 S. Goldenrod Rd. - Pinar Plaza
  • Ocoee branch: 475 West Story Rd.
  • Winter Park branch: 450 North Lakemont Ave.

https://myorangeclerk.com/Divisions/Passports?pagesection=Passports

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Filed: Timeline

I applied back in 2009 and I didn't expedite. I think it arrived in under the 6 weeks stated but I honestly don't remember because I had applied 6 months before I needed it. I also don't know if Orlando USCIS has a booth at the oath ceremony or not. My wife passed her interview last week but is still waiting for her ceremony to be scheduled so we haven't been yet.

For Orange County, any of these will accept passport applications. The main courthouse on Orange Ave. would be the busiest, but I would imagine that the others would be faster (to apply, not to receive the passport, of course.)

Passport applications are accepted at the following Clerk locations:

• Orange County Courthouse: 425 North Orange Ave., Room 355
  • Apopka branch: 1111 North Rock Springs Rd.
  • Goldenrod branch: 684 S. Goldenrod Rd. - Pinar Plaza
  • Ocoee branch: 475 West Story Rd.
  • Winter Park branch: 450 North Lakemont Ave.

https://myorangeclerk.com/Divisions/Passports?pagesection=Passports

Thanks

Edited by 3600rs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.