YoungRL

Conflicting information across VJ guides, wanting to prepare for the NVC process and I'm puzzled

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am about to mail out our I-130 packet (just waiting on one last piece!) and in order to prepare myself for the next step with the NVC, I have been looking over the three CR-1 guides that I have found here on the site. (1; 2, last modified July 2015; and 3, last modified August 2013.)

All of the information for compiling the I-130 was pretty uniform across all three guides, but in looking at the information provided for the NVC step, I'm seeing differing and somewhat conflicting information. For example:

One guide says to provide an employment letter as well as pay stubs (recent ones and some from the past three years). Another says one or the other is sufficient, and if you go with pay stubs, you'd only need some from the past 3-6 months. Which is it?

The third guide also talks about a form with two parts, DS-230, but I can find no mention of it elsewhere and I think this information is outdated. (Which is disheartening, because this guide is the most in-depth one of the three.)

Now that I'm about to be moving on to the NVC process, I'm inclined to start following the information found on the travel.state.gov website, as it seems to be pretty well laid out (and helpfully specifies exactly where you need photocopies and where you need originals, something which has been confusing trying to figure out here on VisaJourney).

The only thing the travel.state.gov guide doesn't really help with is what I can or should get around before an NVC case number is applied, and I really would like to be proactive with that. Does anyone have any advice on this, or which of the guides I should be following?

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer!

USCIS

I-130 sent (Phoenix Lockbox): June 04, 2016

NOA1 received: June 10, 2016

Transferred from Nebraska to Texas: October 20, 2016

NOA2 received: December 14, 2016

NVC

Case number assigned: January 06, 2017

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Welcome.....the DS-230 is the old form. You will use the DS-260 form. After you get NOA2 your case will be transferred to NVC. You will be assigned a case number and invoice number. You use those numbers at ceac to unlock a portal to pay AOS and packet IV fees. Right now you can get ready by filling out the I-864. Make sure you download the newest version with the bar-code. You may not have to fill out the last few pages of I-864 but regardless send in all 12 pages in your AOS packet.....You will only send photocopies, unless an original is specified....you take all originals to interview

CR-1 Visa

USCIS

7/27/15 Sent I-130 package to Chicago Lock box

7/29/15 NOA1, TSC

10/7/15 Entered USA for three weeks to close escrow and pack house

12/5/15 Entered USA for 90 days to visit

12/7/15 I-130 approved,NOA2

NVC

12/23/15 NVC received package

1/5/2016 Called NVC

1/7/2016 Called NVC, assigned case # and IIN #

1/7/2016 Assigned choice of agent

1/7/2016 Paid AOS fees

1/21/2016 Paid packet IV fees

2/20/2016 Filed DS-260

3/30/2016 Sent NVC package

4/5/2016 NVC received package

5/5/2016 Email from NVC...case complete with interview date 6/17

6/10/2016 Medical

6/17/2016 Interview - Approved :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am about to mail out our I-130 packet (just waiting on one last piece!) and in order to prepare myself for the next step with the NVC, I have been looking over the three CR-1 guides that I have found here on the site. (1; 2, last modified July 2015; and 3, last modified August 2013.)

All of the information for compiling the I-130 was pretty uniform across all three guides, but in looking at the information provided for the NVC step, I'm seeing differing and somewhat conflicting information. For example:

One guide says to provide an employment letter as well as pay stubs (recent ones and some from the past three years). Another says one or the other is sufficient, and if you go with pay stubs, you'd only need some from the past 3-6 months. Which is it?

The third guide also talks about a form with two parts, DS-230, but I can find no mention of it elsewhere and I think this information is outdated. (Which is disheartening, because this guide is the most in-depth one of the three.)

Now that I'm about to be moving on to the NVC process, I'm inclined to start following the information found on the travel.state.gov website, as it seems to be pretty well laid out (and helpfully specifies exactly where you need photocopies and where you need originals, something which has been confusing trying to figure out here on VisaJourney).

The only thing the travel.state.gov guide doesn't really help with is what I can or should get around before an NVC case number is applied, and I really would like to be proactive with that. Does anyone have any advice on this, or which of the guides I should be following?

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer!

I also only followed the instructions on travel.state.gov and it was really straightforward and our got approved super fast. But I think it depends on wether you live with your spouse or not. In our case we live together and we got a letter from our landlord stating we had a contract under our names (We got the letter because the lease contract was huge and we really didn't want to pay for a certified translation of such a big document). That was the only proof we sent, together with our marriage certificate (we married in the US a year before filing the petition while already living in my home country).

Well in VJ website defence you do realize that the government changes procedures and updates forms....maybe what you found were old directions. Especially since you state 2 to 3 years back. Everything on here is moderated and if its misimformend im certain its corrected. The opinions you get are mostly from people going through what your going through whom are mostly sharing what they did. Dont forget each country has a way to handle things as well as requirements whether the are high fraud, low fraud or mena countries.

If you are so unhappy with VJ website for the mis information i would not use any of it or hire an immigration attorney whos up to date with laws...most people use VJ because they cannot afford an attorney.

good luck with your journey :reading:

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

This is the most in depth wiki guide for the NVC process. http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Well in VJ website defence you do realize that the government changes procedures and updates forms....maybe what you found were old directions. Especially since you state 2 to 3 years back. Everything on here is moderated and if its misimformend im certain its corrected. The opinions you get are mostly from people going through what your going through whom are mostly sharing what they did. Dont forget each country has a way to handle things as well as requirements whether the are high fraud, low fraud or mena countries.

If you are so unhappy with VJ website for the mis information i would not use any of it or hire an immigration attorney whos up to date with laws...most people use VJ because they cannot afford an attorney.

I can afford an attorney. I chose not to use one because I'm intelligent and can fill out forms and submit paperwork on my own. Some people use VJ because they can't afford an attorney; the rest of us are smart enough to figure out we don't need one.

The wikis are done by the people of VJ (just like any wiki) and some are just not kept up like you've mentioned. Procedures and forms have changed, drastically, in the past 6 years.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I can afford an attorney. I chose not to use one because I'm intelligent and can fill out forms and submit paperwork on my own. Some people use VJ because they can't afford an attorney; the rest of us are smart enough to figure out we don't need one.

The wikis are done by the people of VJ (just like any wiki) and some are just not kept up like you've mentioned. Procedures and forms have changed, drastically, in the past 6 years.

Yeah same here but I cant afford nor would inwant to pay an attorney at this point lol...i am grateful for the forum if you read you can disifer truth or fiction i think. This place is def a place of support too i love the months tread for my month :thumbs: we support each other during the wait :D Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Hi, and thanks for your response. I do realize that forms and procedures change, and that there are people from all over the world undergoing the immigration process. I'm certainly not unhappy with the VJ site--it's a fantastic resource for countless people and I don't know what I'd do without it! My reason for using the guides is because they are there to be used and I often see a lot of questions in the forums that can be answered by looking at the guides available. I don't want to be the kind of person who ignores a resource that's right in front of them. If I see conflicting or outdated information, I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing that out and asking questions to find the proper information.

USCIS

NVC

This is the most in depth wiki guide for the NVC process. http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Thank you very much, this looks great!

USCIS

NVC

if in doubt use the NVC site, they're the ones processing it :-) VJ is here to assist, but isn't a decision maker in your application. It sounds to me like the NVC process is pretty well spelled out step by step along the way too, so they should be telling you what to submit and when.

Welcome to the waiting game :-) (March filer for my i-130 here)

Got married: 26th Sep 2013 

I-130 Petition Process:

Sent petition to USCIS Chicago lockbox (via in-laws to put check in US$): 11 Mar, 2016

NOA1: 24 Mar, 2016 (email notification 30 Mar. Hardcopy 11 Apr)

Service Centre: NEBRASKA

NOA2: 3rd Aug 2016

Petition sent to NVC: 18th Aug 2016

NVC Stage

Case number assigned: 8th Sep 2016

Paid AOS Fee: 9th Sep 2016

Paid IV Fee: 14th Sep 2016

DS-260 submitted: 25th Jan 2017

AOS & IV Package sent: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite requested: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite approved (consulate only): 1st Feb 2017

Scan Date: 31st Jan 2017

Case Complete: 14th April 2017 (10 weeks 4 days)

Full expedite approved (bypass NVC to send file to embassy), however too late as I already had case complete 17th Apr 2017

Case arrived at Embassy: 21st April 2017

P4 letter received: 26th April 2017 (expedite at embassy stage so this came from the consulate, not NVC)

Medical date: 26th April 2017

Interview date: 4th May 2017 APPROVED!!

Visa received: 8th May 2017 

POE (entered the USA): 15th May 2017 

NVC website does have all the steps, but we have the tips and tricks to make things faster and more efficient.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.