Ko066

Statistics of K1 visa approvals vs denials in Lagos, Nigeria

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Does anyone know the statistics on the percentage of K1 visas issued compared to their denials after their interview? I know each case is different and so is each consular but overall is there a way here to know? I've been with my fiance for 1 year but only met in person once b/c I've been in nursing school. He tried to come twice to visit me 1st with a B2 visa and was denied of course otherwise we would have met more than once! Any advice? I front loaded with many phone bills, messages, skype, and my boarding passes from when I visited Nigeria. Thanks

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The most important thing is that your relationship is genuine and that you prove that. Front-loading was a very smart idea!

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Africa/Sub-Saharan regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

When I went through the process for Haiti I went to the Haitian portal and went through the members' timelines. That gave me some idea of approval rates. I also glanced through the threads started by Haitian members and read the ones concerning denials to see what were the common reasons for denial. It took a lot of time but it gave me am idea of what we were in for.

Nigeria is a hard embassy so you might not like what you find. I'm glad you front loaded your petition with evidence. That should help. How long was your visit? Are you able to visit again before (or for) the interview? The amount of time spent in person can play a big role in getting an approval. If you can't, then you'll need as much paper evidence as possible. So keep documenting things and be sure to get them to your fiancé for the interview. Good luck.

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

the ones getting denied are ones that didnt fully overcome redflags , lack of evidence, of the couple wasnt genuine , age gaps,dowrys.did offerings ,had same attire in photos , and etc .From what ive researched it mainly dumb mistakes that get ppl denied ,Any genuine couple with no redflags will be just fine , look at the recent consulate reviews , if u notice things have been going pretty well , and u frontloaded so your already doing a good job

ive even seen couples only visit once and get approved in nigeria so you should be ok , search the forums and look up the ppl who got denied ,best way to avoid mistakes in your case

Edited by soulstriker

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I was asking about Lagos, Nigeria K1 visa statistics after k1 visa interviews. How many are granted vs denied. If there's a way to look this up. My fiance is in nigeria, I'm in USA.

You can go to the Nigeria portal and look at other members from Nigeria timelines to get an idea of approvals vs denial. If your asking if there already statistics published some where there are not. You'll have to do that compiling on your own. Good Luck!

Timeline

the ones getting denied are ones that didnt fully overcome redflags , lack of evidence, of the couple wasnt genuine , age gaps,dowrys.did offerings ,had same attire in photos , and etc .From what ive researched it mainly dumb mistakes that get ppl denied ,Any genuine couple with no redflags will be just fine , look at the recent consulate reviews , if u notice things have been going pretty well , and u frontloaded so your already doing a good job

ive even seen couples only visit once and get approved in nigeria so you should be ok , search the forums and look up the ppl who got denied ,best way to avoid mistakes in your case

Timeline

I shouldnt have any red flags, but when I visited he had matching native cloths made for me and my son. I did send 4 pics of us together in native cloths posing at a photo place there. My son was not there but when I got home to USA I did take pics of my son dressed in the matching native cloths. I never knew they didn't like that or I wouldn't have sent it in.... oh gosh. Why do they care? We didn't get married or have anything besides taking pics one day for like 30 min with a photographer. Hope they look past it, I sent many other pics too.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I shouldnt have any red flags, but when I visited he had matching native cloths made for me and my son. I did send 4 pics of us together in native cloths posing at a photo place there. My son was not there but when I got home to USA I did take pics of my son dressed in the matching native cloths. I never knew they didn't like that or I wouldn't have sent it in.... oh gosh. Why do they care? We didn't get married or have anything besides taking pics one day for like 30 min with a photographer. Hope they look past it, I sent many other pics too.

Goodness what they meant was same attire as in all the pics taken were in the same clothing because they were all taken on the same day. They look for pics with various family and friends taken over a period of time...several different days so you would be in different clothing because it's different days. Not all the pics taken on the same day. They weren't referring to matching clothes.

Have you read or done any research on other posts in the Nigeria portal. You can learn all this on those threads posted there.

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

not sure why but if you look within the forums ull see many got denied because of it sadly , and most theyll deny you and say your already married and tell u to apply for cr1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The real rate is probably high than those that post on here. Those couples are less prepared. We had one rather stupid denial. I do classified work and after tell the CO the place I work and the type of training I had she demanded that he give details of what I am working on if he waned any hope of getting a visa. Needless to say the nexxt petition was on the way before the first was back with carefully worded attachment about why I should not be seeking to move to another country. That CO was alsp demoted to tourist visas. Many rejects are for too much relationship, relationships that send too little proof, relationships with known visa seekers ( one guy had 2 different woman asking for a K1 for him that was in process at the same time )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

When I went through the process for Haiti I went to the Haitian portal and went through the members' timelines. That gave me some idea of approval rates. I also glanced through the threads started by Haitian members and read the ones concerning denials to see what were the common reasons for denial. It took a lot of time but it gave me am idea of what we were in for.

Nigeria is a hard embassy so you might not like what you find. I'm glad you front loaded your petition with evidence. That should help. How long was your visit? Are you able to visit again before (or for) the interview? The amount of time spent in person can play a big role in getting an approval. If you can't, then you'll need as much paper evidence as possible. So keep documenting things and be sure to get them to your fiancé for the interview. Good luck.

I went to visit him for only 8 days because it was over my Spring break for nursing school. I have proof of me being in college (not that they care) but I'm still sending it with copy of my diploma ect... b/c he did try to come see me since I was in school twice but was denied to visit USA. I want to go visit him again now but I cannot afford it at this time as I just graduated. I have plenty of proof of phone bills/call logs, messages, skypes, but just only 8 days spent together in person. Do you think if I go it would really help a lot more, so much that they would approve it? If I knew for sure it'd help I would find a way but it'd only be for one week I'm sure is all..... Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I went to visit him for only 8 days because it was over my Spring break for nursing school. I have proof of me being in college (not that they care) but I'm still sending it with copy of my diploma ect... b/c he did try to come see me since I was in school twice but was denied to visit USA. I want to go visit him again now but I cannot afford it at this time as I just graduated. I have plenty of proof of phone bills/call logs, messages, skypes, but just only 8 days spent together in person. Do you think if I go it would really help a lot more, so much that they would approve it? If I knew for sure it'd help I would find a way but it'd only be for one week I'm sure is all..... Thank you!

African countries are considered high fraud countries so they're a bit harder to deal with than other embassies. I'm no expert on Nigeria but from what I've seen here I doubt 1 visit for only 8 days is going to improve his chances of getting a visa. I would definitely try to visit again if I were you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.