tiss25

Recent relationship and would want to marry

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi guys,

My situation is that I know my girlfriend since april 2016 so it's quite a new relationship. At the beginning of May, she found out that she is a winner for the DV program. We would want to marry in a month or two, let's say till the end of July and complete the DS260 forms as husband and wife. She has CN 16xxx.

Do you think we will have any problems in this situation?

Don't know if this helps or not, but at the moment I have tourist visa, and I traveled last year for one month in US.

Of course we will bring pictures from different events where we are together, or with our families, or friends. We live in different cities but it's very likely that we will move together and bring some proof about this. Any other recommendations?

Thank you so much !

It's certainly going to look suspicious to the embassy. With such a recent relationship and apparently rushing the marriage despite living in different cities, even if you are living together by the time of the interview, I would expect you will have a quite a burden of proof of you. You'll need to keep doing what you have been, collecting as much evidence as possible to prove that it is a genuine relationship, and then hoping for the best. Having a tourist visa/visited the US likely won't make any difference.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Marriage isnt something you should just jump into. Its sad to think it has lost its value to so many. Not the answer you are looking for but seriously, see if you guys can make it all happen without jumping into marriage as if it was a pair of new jeans... Im sure you guys can be together and then get to know each other first. For real know each other. Either way wish you the best of luck with the process!

Timeline

It's certainly going to look suspicious to the embassy. With such a recent relationship and apparently rushing the marriage despite living in different cities, even if you are living together by the time of the interview, I would expect you will have a quite a burden of proof of you. You'll need to keep doing what you have been, collecting as much evidence as possible to prove that it is a genuine relationship, and then hoping for the best. Having a tourist visa/visited the US likely won't make any difference.

Thank you for your answer!

We were thinking the same, that it might look suspicious. We are rushing the marriage because otherwise it's quite impossible to be together and create a family.

And it's very strange because she could win as single, and maybe she could find an interesting guy in July 2016, or in September... by your explanation, means she can't have any serious relationship leading to marriage with a local guy till interview... and even after interview she will leave and still will be unable to have a local guy marrying her because of long waiting time for F2A ! They will need to stay separated.

And I say this because we thought also of marrying after her interview... but it's too much to wait... about one year till the interview and another 2-3 years till you get GC as spouse of a GC holder :((

As proofs I mentioned moving together, pictures from different events and vacations (we are freelancers so no work schedule), joint bank account, Facebook pictures of us together, maybe online conversations printed...

What should we do?

Thank You!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I suggest go ahead and marry if you two are definitely planning to be with each other in the long run. While there might be suspicion because of the timing, as long as your marriage is bonafide and you provide evidences of that, it should work out. Photos are secondary evidences, after you marry, financial comingling and staying together is the major factor in marital relationship.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

We had to wait 4 years to get married. We all survived it and so did our love. Its not hard if its true love. And where theres a will theres a way.. So i think marriage is a bad idea to use as the excuse of not being able to be together. So be together but see where life takes you all. If its the same in a year or 5 then get married. I dont believe people have to get married to be together in this situation. Its simply idiotic to marry someone you dont know. If so, get a good prenup and your papers in order in case it doesnt last when the first few months are over and real life hits ya with normal life situations.. You dont know the person that well yet.. Love is blinding for awhile. Just saying. Think about it again.. Im sure there are ways. We all had to do it. Long distance for 3 years. Married for one now. Made it fine even if we couldnt be together fully for the first 3!

Timeline

And i dont mean to rain on your parade. But eveeeeeryone in this forum have waited FOREVER to even get approved to get married. So if you have to wait 2-3 yrs, so be it. If this lobe is as real as you think, a marriage is a lifetime, so whats 2-3 yrs? Think about it. Wouldnt you wanna know who you are marrying and financially co mingling with. Cause you will have too!! And it can either be wonderful and soulmate stories, or you having a new a...... riped financially cause yoi didnt know who you married. You think you do but one month relationship? Just warning you. Not trying to ruin your help page here. Wish you all the best! Just an advise. If you want it or not ??

Timeline

We had to wait 4 years to get married. We all survived it and so did our love. Its not hard if its true love. And where theres a will theres a way.. So i think marriage is a bad idea to use as the excuse of not being able to be together. So be together but see where life takes you all. If its the same in a year or 5 then get married. I dont believe people have to get married to be together in this situation. Its simply idiotic to marry someone you dont know. If so, get a good prenup and your papers in order in case it doesnt last when the first few months are over and real life hits ya with normal life situations.. You dont know the person that well yet.. Love is blinding for awhile. Just saying. Think about it again.. Im sure there are ways. We all had to do it. Long distance for 3 years. Married for one now. Made it fine even if we couldnt be together fully for the first 3!

It's possible also your way but I am sure that if we take 100 cases of our situation (hypothetical) if he/she leaves alone, and the other stays, you'll get 75% or more of cases with relationship ending forever.

The same 100 cases if they both go together to a new life and help each other being together.... you will get maybe 90% win rate (let's say 10 will end).

Is it relevant? numbers are just for example... hope you understand.

Secondly... what about having a newborn child? Will she raise him alone there? Will I stay alone with him at home ? Really??? Oh... wait for the child at least 3 years from now, or maybe 4.... it doesn't sound to me too constructive or feasible

Timeline

Brother i hear you loud and clear. Ive been here since 2012 in this forum. Maaaany people are living as you describe. With a kid on a long distance awaiting approval.. Its hard as hell. We have all been there. But we all have done it for years. Youre not willing to wait and see how this situation is even gonna go but just rush into it. Its a month relationship.. And if you research in here you will find people who are amazing.. Waiting for more than 5 yrs in some cases. Immigration isnt a walk in the park. Im not sure you have a clue how hard work it all is! Maybe you do! ?I cant be the judge of that nor should I! Not here to judge anyone! Just letting you know its not gonna be easy with the short relationship you guys have.. I sure hope for you it will! Truly! All the best to you! Be prepared for waiting time no matter what! And if you get denied cause you all moved faster than you could run then that will be devasting for you both. Immigration is a tough cookie for the lovers! But all the best your way! Hope you didnt take offense from my annoying two cents ? dont mean no harm!

And, should the Embassy believe that you are committing marriage fraud (getting married solely for you to be able to immigrate and not as part of a committed relationship), they will not only deny your visa, but hers as well. Does she really want to risk losing the opportunity to get an immigrant visa when the only consequence of not doing so is a couple of years apart -- during which time you can still get to know one another better, even though it may be for a longer distance.

Not only deny, but potentially subject both of them to lifetime entry bans from the US too.

Then again, if being together is the main thing for them as he would have us believe, losing out on the opportunity of going to the US is not as important as being married to each other is.

It's possible also your way but I am sure that if we take 100 cases of our situation (hypothetical) if he/she leaves alone, and the other stays, you'll get 75% or more of cases with relationship ending forever.

The same 100 cases if they both go together to a new life and help each other being together.... you will get maybe 90% win rate (let's say 10 will end).

Is it relevant? numbers are just for example... hope you understand.

Secondly... what about having a newborn child? Will she raise him alone there? Will I stay alone with him at home ? Really??? Oh... wait for the child at least 3 years from now, or maybe 4.... it doesn't sound to me too constructive or feasible

I've been refraining from commenting on the wisdom or otherwise of leaping into marriage with someone you barely know (even if you may currently feel she is your soulmate). But please, don't rush into marriage and then try rush both into having a baby and immigrating all at the same time. These are all among the most stressful experiences out there, either of those has been known to break up marriages, and you want to do them all at once? Just be careful. Please. Especially if you are planning on bringing an innocent child into all of this.

Timeline

Thank you all for the answers!

My thoughts are now of a person that is in love with this girl.... when I first knew her, we did not discuss about visa lottery and this possible situation. And now this happened and... it's very difficult to decide, especially that the embassy could not believe us ! We may have the courage to go ahead and fight for a new life there, but we could get banned ! That's not fair. She has to be there alone! However, I will not insist...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

it took my mum over 10 yrs to reunite with my dad and 13 yrs for me to join my parents.

When people offer you great advise of caution, hear them out and weigh your options.

Good luck!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.