Nana1978

Apply for expedite process when case is at service center (split post)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi, how do you apply for an expedite process if your case is still at a service center?

I'm Venezuelan and the political instability is getting worst. My mom even having money can't find food, tap water only comes once a week, they are dealing with severe shortage of medicines, power cut offs for at least 4 hours a day. People has been protesting in the streets for about a week. My son can't go to school daily because of a riot, people closing streets or the school dismissing the kids because there's no power. Besides, my dad has bladder cancer and it's hard for them to take care of my son, their fear is not being able to keep him safe. That's my worst fear too. Violent crimes are just common. Everybody has been robbed at least once in the past year. They are robbing school buses full of kids to take their allowances, cellphones, backpacks, shoes, watches. If you has nothing to give to the thieves, they will kill you.

I'm desperated, please any advice will be appreciated

Edited by Happy Chic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I did see that they had stopped taking on new non immigrant visa's due to lack of staff, I also doubt that an expedite would be justified but no harm trying.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-5 Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi, how do you apply for an expedite process if your case is still at a service center?

Nana1978,

From what I know about your case from a different thread, I know you just got your first NOA from USCIS after submitting your I-130 for your son (well, your husband did).

There is two links here that might help you:

- https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

- https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume1-PartA-Chapter12.html

The first link basically lists very shortly the different criteria the USCIS uses in order to determine a case is eligible for an expedite. Such as Severe financial loss to company or ​person​;​ Emergency situation;​ Humanitarian reasons;.

The second one goes in depth about the expedite process and how to go about it. I suggest you read it in full, but here are some key point that I think my help you understand it a bit better:

- The burden is on the applicant or petitioner to demonstrate that one or more of the e​xpedite criteria have been met.​

- To make a request to expedite the processing of a domestically filed application or petition, the customer should contact the ​National Customer Service Center ​(​NCSC​)​ ​at 1-800-375-5283​. ​The NCSC forward​s​ ​the Service Request​ ​to the office with jurisdiction over the application or petition​.​ Customers may also visit a local office by scheduling an InfoPass appointment or writing a letter to the ​field office​ or ​s​ervice ​c​enter... Approval of such requests is discretionary and USCIS reserves the right to request documentation supporting the request to expedite an application or petition.​

- The two criteria that you MAY be able to use are: Emergency situation, (For example, the applicant is gravely ill.) & Humanitarian reasons (For example, outbreak of war in the home country.)... However, your dad is the one who is ill, not the applicant, and there is no official statement from our government stating that the country is actually at war.

Furthermore, from what I have read, when you apply to expedite it doesn't hurt your case either way, so you don't loose anything by trying to get it expedited. Also, these are just 'examples' but your case may include examples of emergency situations, as well as humanitarian reasons. Such as your parents being unable to provide a save and sustainable environment for your 11 year old, because your father is ill and your mother is having dificulties surviving the situation in venezuela (make sure you have several articles of newspapers in hand that explain these situations)... Each decision by USCIS is made on a case-by-case basis, so it really depends on your situation, if it is really critical that your son's case is expedited, then they will do it, if they don't feel it's critical, they might not. So try to gather as much evidence as possible as to why it's imperative that they expedite your son's case... news articles, your father's health records, your son's school attendance, etc. etc. etc. Also, they take about 30 days to make a decision, so keep that in mind.

Good luck Nana, and please let us know how everything evolves from hereon out.

M
CURRENT PROCESS:
I-130 for Mom in Venezuela (Approved) - On To NVC Processing
MM - DD
03-13 - Sent I-130 Package To Phoenix, AZ
03-14 - Package Delivered
03-19 - Received Text from USCIS case was received, and Receipt #.
03-19 - Received E-mail from USCIS case was accepted and routed to USCIS Nebraska Service Center
03-19 - Opened account on USCIS.gov to check case status
03-23 - Received the Form I-797C Notice of Action Priority Date March 16th, 2015
08-06 - Received e-mail notice RFE Letter would be sent.
08-10 - Received RFE (PROOF OF NAME CHANGE for Mom)
08-19 - Sent RFE Response
08-21 - USCIS Received my response to RFE
08-21 - Received e-mail notice "Your Case Status: Request for Evidence Response Review"
09-01 - Received e-mail I-130 was approved
I-130 Approved in 172 days - 5.65 Months
09-10 - I-797, Notice of Action sent to me by mail
09-14 - Received I-797, Notice of Action I-130 Approved
09-17 - Received Text from USCIS case status is updated online
09-17 - Received Email from USCIS: Case Was Sent To The Department of State
09-17 - Checked online status: Case Was Sent To The Department of State
09-22 - NVC Received my case
10-01 - NVC Assigned Case Number
10-02 - NVC Date of Welcome Letter to Petitioner
10-05 - NVC Welcome Letter Envelope Postage Stamp Date
10-06 - Called NVC and got Case # and Invoice #
10-06 - Logged in Online and Completed COA form DS-261 & AOS Payment
10-08 - Called NVC - Case still locked for approval of COA & Payment of IV Fee
10-09 - Received NVC Welcome Letter, AOS Bill & Document Cover Sheet
10-14 - Called NVC Got COA Reviewed Over The Phone
10-15 - Received IV Fee Invoice By Email
10-16 - Paid IV Fee
10-19 - IV Fee Appears as PAID and DS-260 IV Application OPEN
MM - DD
03-31 - Sent AOS & IV Packets to NVC Overnighted
04-01 - Packages delivered to NVC
04-02 - Completed and Submitted DS-260 IV Application Online
04-02 - NVC SCAN DATE
05-02 - CASE COMPLETE!
05-09 - Received CC Email from NVC
05-09 - Received letter Re: updated mailing/email address for this case ???
05-16 - Received Email with INTERVIEW DATE (P4)
05-19 - Received actual INTERVIEW DATE (P4) letter in the mail
05-25 - NVC Sent Case To Embassy (CEAC Status Changed to In Transit)
06-28 - INTERVIEW DATE
06-28 APPROVED in 468 days FROM I-130 NOA1- 15.38 Months
08-28 - Point Of Entry POE Miami International Airport - Miami, Florida
09-09 - Received Social Security Number Card in the Mail (Middle Name Cut Off)
10-04 - Received Text & Email of Updated USCIS.gov Case Status: New Card Being Produced
10-07 - Received Text & Email of Updated USCIS.gov Case Status: New Card Has been Mailed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Hello, I'm Venezuelan too and my interview is schedule for July 11, I haven't heard about anyone who applied for expedite process here in Venezuela, you could try calling USCIS or NVC, but I don't think they will actually do it even though our country is going through tough times there are other countries who are actually going through wars and worse situations; in my opinion unless the american embassy in Venezuela requires them to expedite all cases due to the situation in our country, I don't think they would do it only for one case... My advise would be to be patiente, trust me, lately the process is going really fast, our case was approved in two months, then 20 days later we had our case number and 6 days later the embassy had received it... What service center was your petition sent?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.