ADIB

THE VALIDITY OF THE VISA

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hello, my fiance visa K-1 will be expire at JUNE 14 2016, if i go in the USA at JUNE 13, i will have 3 MONTHS to be married right ? SO UNTIL SEPTEMBER 13 ?

From the DOS Nonimmigrant K1 Visa FAQs:

After You Receive a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

If you are issued a K-1 visa, the Consular Officer will give you your passport containing the K-1 visa and a sealed packet containing the civil documents you provided, plus other documents prepared by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. It is important that you do not open the sealed packet. Only the DHS immigration official should open this packet when you enter the United States. As the K-1 visa holder, you must enter the United States either before or at the same time as any qualifying children holding K-2 visas.

With your visa, you can apply for a single admission at a U.S. port-of-entry within the validity of the visa, which will be a maximum of 6 months from the date of issuance. You must marry your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days of your entry into the United States.

REF: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/family/fiance-k-1.html#14

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

You can marry the same day you enter or up to day 90. 90 days to marry once you enter the United States you have 6 months to travel before it expires. 6 months to travel not marry.

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Humm im not sure if they do that... I only read its 90 from entry the visa is good for one trip valid for 6 months after issue. I would be careful with dates.

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh ok, so the officer at the airport will give me a paper who say i have 3 more months for the wedding after my entry in usa ?

The date on your I94 will be 90 days from entry. You need that for a green card, that's how they'll know you married in time.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Ok so i can go in usa at JUNE 13 and be married at JULY 1 ?

I wouldn't wait until one day of expiration date. Anything can happen. Flight delays, cancelled and emergencies on plane. At least a week before should be fine.

do u plan on entering the states on the very last day of your k1 or what ?

Yes and it's a very bad idea.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

When you do your SSN card application and they see that you entered on the last day of your visa its not a good thing because you need to have your visa valid for at least two weeks when you do apply for it !! Besides you are going to be out of status after your visa expires ,and after you get married it will take about 3 months before you get your EAD and AP so good luck to you !! You have gotten your visa a while ago so why did you wait until the last day to come here ?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I WILL TAKE MY PLANE AT JUNE 12

I would go earlier than that to be absolutely safe unless there's something you have to do and cannot possibly do it any earlier.

It's way too risky to fly that close to your expiration date!

Edited by FN&KO

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

When you do your SSN card application and they see that you entered on the last day of your visa its not a good thing because you need to have your visa valid for at least two weeks when you do apply for it !! Besides you are going to be out of status after your visa expires ,and after you get married it will take about 3 months before you get your EAD and AP so good luck to you !! You have gotten your visa a while ago so why did you wait until the last day to come here ?

No. SSA does look at the i94, which will be 90 days from date of entry. Visa is valid until expiration date, entry is possible until then. Couple days before might be safer should the flight be cancelled or something, but it's not a requirement. Edited by Lemonslice

This is not accurate. A K-1 is a one-use visa. It expires as soon as you enter the US.

Adjusted status from VWP

Met in London October 2011

Married 10/9/15

AOS submitted 10/26/15

RFE (2014 tax transcript) received 11/21/15

EAD/AP received 1/25/16

Interview & approval 4/22/16

ROC submitted 3/6/18

NOA received 3/13/18

Biometrics 5/4/18

18 month extension received 8/13/18

N-400 submitted 1/22/19!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.