Benjamins187

Gay marriage - Homophobic parents

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey, Great forum here and loads of help too.

I have a question which is giving me a hard time since I have my interview coming up soon.

I got married with my husband about a year ago, everything is going great, we spend a lot of our time between France and the US, we travel quite a lot too, did few trips to spain, italy, england and different places in the US (New York, California, Yosemite, Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco ...)

We are joined owner of the house in the US, bank account, tax return, utility bills, Pictures, he also got his french residency card recently. I visited the US about 6 times since we got married and the rest of time he was living in Paris with me.

My big issue and question is my Parents, they never been keen on my sexuality and I kind of broke my relationship with them over that, they never accepted it and don't want to hear about any of my life style.

Would that be a problem at the interview if I haven't got any pictures with my husband and them ?

What should I tell them ? Would it be a denial reason for my visa ?

Thank you for your help

Ben

It's not a problem. Don't worry. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have a question which is giving me a hard time since I have my interview coming up soon.

I got married with my husband about a year ago, everything is going great, we spend a lot of our time between France and the US, we travel quite a lot too, did few trips to spain, italy, england and different places in the US (New York, California, Yosemite, Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco ...)

We are joined owner of the house in the US, bank account, tax return, utility bills, Pictures, he also got his french residency card recently. I visited the US about 6 times since we got married and the rest of time he was living in Paris with me.

My big issue and question is my Parents, they never been keen on my sexuality and I kind of broke my relationship with them over that, they never accepted it and don't want to hear about any of my life style.

Would that be a problem at the interview if I haven't got any pictures with my husband and them ?

Thank you for your help

Ben

No. It will not be an issue. You are one of thousands of couples whose parents are not happy with their sons' and daughters' choices. Straight OR Gay.

If asked at the interview, you can say "My parents, unfortunately, are not part of our lives."

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

That depends on the culture of the country in which the interview will take place. Since you're from France, it shouldn't be an issue.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Not a problem at all, especially in the US embassy in France.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Thank you for your comments guys, I feel better knowing that this issue might not be as big as I thought it would.

My husband keep telling me that everything will be alright but I guess you can't help worrying about things sometimes !

;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hi Ben,

It won't be an issue at all, even straight don't get along with their in law sometimes (well most of the time I would say! :rolleyes:) and don't have any pictures to show. They mostly don't even ask for pictures anyway, I went 2 times there, once for my K 1 and recently for my son IR2 and never had to show pictures.

Salut a vous 2 et bonne chance!

Corinne

I 129F sent: 29/04/2011
Noa1: 02/05/2011
Noa2: 19/07/2011 (took 77 days to get approved )
NVC received: 08/08/2011
NVC left: 24/08/2011
Consulate received : 29/08/2011
Packet 3 received : 10/09/2011
Packet 3 sent back to embassy : 15/09/2011
Packet 4 received : 07/10/2011
INTERVIEW : 13/10/2011
APPROVED
Visa in hand : 20/10/2011
POE: 21/10/2011
WEDDING : 3/12/2011

Filed AOS in December 2014

After 1 year and 5 months I got approved (one RFE and a letter 1 year ago of a potential waiver interview)

Approval 13 May 2016! :dancing:

Just to add one more piece of reassurance for you, I'm also the immigrant spouse in a same-sex marriage. For unrelated reasons, I have very little contact with my parents, and so my wife has not met them.

It was absolutely not an issue at our AOS interview - the IO asked my wife whether she had met my parents and when she answered that she hadn't, the IO asked why not. We explained without going into any detail that I'm not on the best terms with them, and the IO was completely understanding of that. Our interview lasted less than 15 minutes in total, and at the end she congratulated us and told us she was recommending approval. I remember feeling just as anxious as you feel now, but not having pictures with parents didn't cause any problems whatsoever for us, and I'm sure it won't cause problems for you either.

Eighteen years in the US and I still don't understand Velveeta, TV ads for prescription drugs, only getting 2 weeks paid vacation, or why anyone believes anything they see on Fox "News".

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

That depends on the culture of the country in which the interview will take place. Since you're from France, it shouldn't be an issue.

There are homosexual people in every culture. Rejecting someone from say Saudi Arabia simply because they married someone of the same sex when it's not acceptable in that community would be ridiculous. (Assuming they have the right evidence, of course which the OP here has well-covered, anyway ) so the culture thing you brought up shouldn't come into play.

Au contraire, a same-sex marriage case from say Saudi would in itself be the strongest evidence possible that the relationship is bona fide. You could get stoned to death for that kinda thing there.

Hey from a neighboring state (Alabama). I know it's rough with a family like that especially when you want them to share in the joys in your life especially understand your love you have for your hubby but hang in there. You have nothing to worry about with the visa process. Warm hugs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

There are homosexual people in every culture. Rejecting someone from say Saudi Arabia simply because they married someone of the same sex when it's not acceptable in that community would be ridiculous. (Assuming they have the right evidence, of course which the OP here has well-covered, anyway ) so the culture thing you brought up shouldn't come into play.

Au contraire, a same-sex marriage case from say Saudi would in itself be the strongest evidence possible that the relationship is bona fide. You could get stoned to death for that kinda thing there.

Actually, it could. But that doesn't apply to OP.

How do file I-130 for your partner the partner's country law does not recognize same-sex marriage?

It is not up to the US to define the laws for that country. Yes it is ridiculous but your sentiment is not how it works.

Most same-sex partners coming from countries that don't accept same-sex marriage typically file K-1. SO that country and culture of the place matters.

But that won't matter to OP's case.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you for your help

Ben

I think as long as they know about your sexuality and your husband, everything is gonna be okay. Good luck!. :)

Henry N Giddens

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I answered OP's question whether or not his parents accepting the marriage would be a problem or not. OP's question and my answer had nothing to do with his sexual orientation.

In many countries, parents accepting the spouse before marriage, attending the ceremony etc is very important. I remember reading a couple of cases here on VJ about couples in India being refused a CR-1 visa because the CO didn't believe they were in a bona fida relationship since they didn't have the traditional Indian wedding with family and friends. So yes, the country's cultures and norms definitely affect the process at the embassy stage.

Since OP is from France, those kind of cultural norms don't exist so it's not an issue but other VJ members from countries with strong cultural norms might come along and read OP's thread and it's beneficial for them to know that cultural norms does matter.

Edited by mallafri76

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 5/15/2016 at 0:00 PM, mallafri76 said:

THis is not truw. Im from a country (India) where familial ties are very important. When i went to the interview, Itold them that I am not living with my parents nor have I been in touch with them since they believe I am an abomination and that I dont need such negativity in my life.

OP - just be open with the CO and tell them the truth. THey really dont care much about your relationship with your parents. It is the legitamacy of your wedding that they will question.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.