ryna

English test

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

How strict are they?

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

What are you worrying about?

The test is for the applicant to demonstrate an understanding over English. I don't think they're going to care as much about spelling, for example.

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Office%20of%20Citizenship/Citizenship%20Resource%20Center%20Site/Publications/PDFs/M-638_red.pdf

Check Pages 31 and 32. It's like the civics test, they give the list of words they will ask ahead of time.

Timeline

What are you worrying about?

The test is for the applicant to demonstrate an understanding over English. I don't think they're going to care as much about spelling, for example.

My wife can read/write in English fairly well with a few grammar errors here and there but sometimes her pronunciation is way off (on certain words more than others) or she needs to hear things more than once to catch everything.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Office%20of%20Citizenship/Citizenship%20Resource%20Center%20Site/Publications/PDFs/M-638_red.pdf

Check Pages 31 and 32. It's like the civics test, they give the list of words they will ask ahead of time.

Thanks! I know she's been through this and others like it for months, if not years, since she had originally planned on filing back in 2014. (She put if off over the English requirements, now she's nervous.) The civics part will be a slam dunk for her. I'm sure of that.

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Timeline

I just checked out those specific pages. I don't know if she's seen this particular document but I will show it to her. I know she can handle that level of English. I, for one, now feel more relaxed about it.

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My wife can read/write in English fairly well with a few grammar errors here and there but sometimes her pronunciation is way off (on certain words more than others) or she needs to hear things more than once to catch everything.

Thanks! I know she's been through this and others like it for months, if not years, since she had originally planned on filing back in 2014. (She put if off over the English requirements, now she's nervous.) The civics part will be a slam dunk for her. I'm sure of that.

The reading and writing parts are pretty straight forward.

She'll be asked to read a simple sentence and then write a simple sentence. Spelling errors don't matter as long as they don't change the meaning of the word.

The speaking part of the language test is covered by answering questions about the application. This includes understanding questions related to address and employment information and trips and being able to answer these questions. In rare cases where the interviewer thinks that the applicant doesn't really understand the application and has only memorized answers that someone else has written, additional questions are asked. One applicant was asked to explain, in simple words, what the oath means. Another applicant was asked (when they got to the question about being a member of the communist party) what communism was. Both applicants failed the speaking/understanding portion of the test and were scheduled for re-interviewing.

Don't worry though... if your wife knows enough to get by at a grocery store, she'll probable be fine. These questions are very rare and are only asked when the interviewer feels that the applicant is saying yes or no to things he/she doesn't understand. In the vast majority of cases, being able to go through the application is enough. In some cases, people who can barely ask where the bathroom is in English pass the interview easily.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I just checked out those specific pages. I don't know if she's seen this particular document but I will show it to her. I know she can handle that level of English. I, for one, now feel more relaxed about it.

They gave me that booklet at my biometrics appointment. Up until checking those pages, I didn't know the English reading/writing test was also confined to this set of words. I thought they would ask a completely random question.

Also, remember the reading portion of the test will be the question part for the writing portion of the test. She will be asked to write down exactly the same words shown in the reading test. Like they would first ask her to read "What is the largest state?", then ask her to write "Alaska is the largest state."

Filed: Other Timeline

How strict are they?

They do not expect that the petitioner speaks like a college professor, but he or she should understand the very basic English commands, such as remaining stand up, do not move the chair, put your backpack/purse in the middle (there are three chairs).

I am pretty sure that people who has been using this forum to exchange information has an advanced English level.

Therefore, we do not care much about English test.

On the other hand, most applicants do not have the same English skills than us, then I really understand your question, especially who have parents going through this process.

Timeline

They gave me that booklet at my biometrics appointment. Up until checking those pages, I didn't know the English reading/writing test was also confined to this set of words. I thought they would ask a completely random question.

Also, remember the reading portion of the test will be the question part for the writing portion of the test. She will be asked to write down exactly the same words shown in the reading test. Like they would first ask her to read "What is the largest state?", then ask her to write "Alaska is the largest state."

Thanks again. She didn't receive anything like that at her biometrics appointment. After posting earlier, she also told me that she has signed up for a 4-week (1X/week) Citizenship Exam review course at our local library. Even if she can only attend 3 of the 4 before her interview date, it will help put her mind at ease and make her less nervous on interview day. I know I feel better after seeing the 'vocabulary' list!

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

They were handing out the civics booklet as well as a sheet of paper showing the updated answers to some of the questions (like speaker of the house).

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks again. She didn't receive anything like that at her biometrics appointment. After posting earlier, she also told me that she has signed up for a 4-week (1X/week) Citizenship Exam review course at our local library. Even if she can only attend 3 of the 4 before her interview date, it will help put her mind at ease and make her less nervous on interview day. I know I feel better after seeing the 'vocabulary' list!

They were handing out the civics booklet as well as a sheet of paper showing the updated answers to some of the questions (like speaker of the house).

They should hand this out to all applicants for naturalization, but they sometimes forget. Some people are going in for biometrics for reasons other than naturalization.

Anyway, here's an electronic copy of the booklet:

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This will be the easiest test your wife will ever sit in.

Easier than a state drivers license exam? I know someone who failed that twice before passing it on the third time.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.