saphina

I-751 RFE would love some input

29 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I have been anxiously waiting to hear something on my I-751 petition as I am sure many of you. Well today we received an RFE which is my first as we have had a pretty smooth sailing process so far. Anyway I would love some input on what to send and what I should leave out and just some general questions.

With out petition we sent:

-Drivers License with same address

-Deed to our house in both names

-Mortgage on our house in both names

-2014 joint tax returns

-Joint Credit Card Statements

-Joint Health Insurance

-Costco Joint Membership

-2014 Christmas Card of us and our dog

-Pictures over the last two years prior

-Joint title to our cars

-Joint Car insurance

-Joint Homeowners Insurance

Now my first question is that I did sent partials of some of those documents as our homeowner insurance and health insurance policies are like 30 pages each. I included all the pages having both names on it and did write 'partial' on the coversheet. Would it make a difference if I send the whole thing?

This is what we don't have:

-children, therefore no birth certifiactes etc (we adopted a dog who is like our furbaby does that count? ;-) jk )

-life insurance, we simply don't have any and are really not in a position to sign up for one or want one

What I can think of to send:

-I only send 2014 taxes, I can add 2013 and 2015, 2015 was obviously done after we filed does that matter?

-Add W2's and 1099 as I was simply not aware I should send them

-Bank Statements from savings account and checking account ( As I send the credit card and statements before)

-pre-approval letter for a joint loan as we are planning on putting out house on the market next week and buying a new and bigger one that will fit a family

-affidavits from family members

What throws me off the most is that the RFE says we have sent documents to show a bona fide marriage but need to send more of a good faith marriage? I am just a little confused of what the difference is.

And does it make sense to open/start anything in both names now or do only things count that were already in place when we filed in Sept 2015?

What else can I send? I really thought with mortgage, deed, cars, insurance etc we had a strong case but obviously not. I tried to get the utility bills put in both of our names but they simply won't do it. The eletric is in my name and the water in my husbands, should I send both showing its the same address? We don't have any individual accounts we really do have everything in both names and reading that a lot of couples on here are not quite as intermingled with finances I thought we'd be fine.

Another random question, that tiny envelope they included is a joke right? I mean I can glue it on a big enevlope but there is no way it will hold all the evidence I will send.

I truly appreciate any and all input!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

When you say bank/credit card statements, do you mean you sent EVERY one of these for the last two years? Or just a couple of them here and there?

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

I sent about a years worth of credit card statements. I did not send bank statements, I will send them with the RFE. I had read credit card as it is a joint"debt" even if you pay it off shows better then regular bank statements which is why I chose those.

How many should I send?

Filed: Timeline

I sent about a years worth of credit card statements. I did not send bank statements, I will send them with the RFE. I had read credit card as it is a joint"debt" even if you pay it off shows better then regular bank statements which is why I chose those.

How many should I send?

i got the same request, i thought i had sent sufficient data as well, so i sent on

Bank statements - Several statements over the past 2 years, 1 statement every 3-4months showing activity

Leases signed for the last 3 years

car insurance policy for last 4 years

health insurance and benefits for past 3 years

mortgage approval letters

bills in my name in some cases and spouse in other cases with same address

joint phone bills

i honestly have no more info i can send on so if i can another request for evidence i am requesting an interview.

so, you are not alone!!

i got the same request, i thought i had sent sufficient data as well, so i sent on

Bank statements - Several statements over the past 2 years, 1 statement every 3-4months showing activity

Leases signed for the last 3 years

car insurance policy for last 4 years

health insurance and benefits for past 3 years

mortgage approval letters

bills in my name in some cases and spouse in other cases with same address

joint phone bills

i honestly have no more info i can send on so if i can another request for evidence i am requesting an interview.

so, you are not alone!!

That is good to hear! I just feel like there is not much new info I can sent, I can sent more of what I already have but not much different.

Did yours say anything about you showed a bona fide marriage but you now need to show the good faith marriage?

I do not understand that...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

HI Saphina

Sorry to hear you got RFE.

Did you send affidavits signed by family or friends in your original application packet?

Hey everyone,

I have been anxiously waiting to hear something on my I-751 petition as I am sure many of you. Well today we received an RFE which is my first as we have had a pretty smooth sailing process so far. Anyway I would love some input on what to send and what I should leave out and just some general questions.

-2014 joint tax returns

-Joint Health Insurance

-Costco Joint Membership

-Joint title to our cars

-Joint Car insurance

Now my first question is that I did sent partials of some of those documents as our homeowner insurance and health insurance policies are like 30 pages each. I included all the pages having both names on it and did write 'partial' on the coversheet. Would it make a difference if I send the whole thing?

-children, therefore no birth certifiactes etc (we adopted a dog who is like our furbaby does that count? ;-) jk )

-life insurance, we simply don't have any and are really not in a position to sign up for one or want one

-I only send 2014 taxes, I can add 2013 and 2015, 2015 was obviously done after we filed does that matter?

-Bank Statements from savings account and checking account ( As I send the credit card and statements before)

-pre-approval letter for a joint loan as we are planning on putting out house on the market next week and buying a new and bigger one that will fit a family

What throws me off the most is that the RFE says we have sent documents to show a bona fide marriage but need to send more of a good faith marriage? I am just a little confused of what the difference is.

And does it make sense to open/start anything in both names now or do only things count that were already in place when we filed in Sept 2015?

What else can I send? I really thought with mortgage, deed, cars, insurance etc we had a strong case but obviously not. I tried to get the utility bills put in both of our names but they simply won't do it. The eletric is in my name and the water in my husbands, should I send both showing its the same address? We don't have any individual accounts we really do have everything in both names and reading that a lot of couples on here are not quite as intermingled with finances I thought we'd be fine.

Another random question, that tiny envelope they included is a joke right? I mean I can glue it on a big enevlope but there is no way it will hold all the evidence I will send.

HI Saphina

Sorry to hear you got RFE.

Did you send affidavits signed by family or friends in your original application packet?

No only the items stated above.

I was told that statements are secondary evidence and don't hold too much value.

I will get them now for the RFE as I have exhausted most financial options.

Timeline

I sent every single joint bank account statement from the time I was put on the account (shortly after marriage) to the last one I had at the time of filing.

I think some paper showing "joint ownership" of the dog is a good idea, actually.

Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

ROC Timeline

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

N-400 Timeline

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

Timeline

They mean you sent SOME evidence of bona fide marriage, but they want to see more. You are right bona fide & good faith are the same thing.

Married 06/24/2011

AOS Timeline

ROC Timeline

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

N-400 Timeline

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

That is what I will do is just print all the joint statements. He closed all of his accounts and we opened all new checking and savings accounts together.

I just can't believe they really want all that.

And that is what I thought about bona fide and good faith!

The way it reads is that it says I have not established that the marriage was entered in good faith but I have provided evidence for a bona fide marriage...

How about medical insurance? Send the explanation of benefits statements. You can see who is the patient and who the main account holder. Any designation of beneficiary statements? 401k, IRA...

I'd send full details from home insurance (print on both sides so it's not that many pages of paper).

Yes on bank statements - one every three months from when you got here will be fine- all pages.

Also definitely send the bills even if just one of you is listed on it. Same address= shows you comingle finances. If any pets, papers from the vet identifying both of you as pet's owners. That's what we did for my ROC as we didn't have kids at the time but had our cats...

Good luck, you will be fine.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If I was you I would send every statements o fm any joint bank accounts you have since the beginning of marriage until today. Tax transcripts are very important. Do you have a living will or a power of attorney/ health? If not, get those done and add them to the package. They are not hard to get done and are a good proof.

Hey everyone,

-2014 joint tax returns

-Joint Health Insurance

-Costco Joint Membership

-Joint title to our cars

-Joint Car insurance

1) send 2013, 2014, 2015 tax return TRANSCRIPTS or the ENTIRE tax return which includes w2s, 1099, etc... Everything!

2) send joint bank account statements. ALL of them.

3) definitely send the joint pre-approval

4) make sure all the documents you sent are the entire period in which they exist (aka all the mortgage statements, etc.)

5) get wills

6) get medical powers of attorney

7) everyone needs life insurance unless you have a bunch of savings to pay for funeral arrangements, house payments, etc...

8) beneficiary of 401k? or anything else that's financial co-mingling?

9) certainly you can include affidavits if you want to. They're low on evidence but you're sending an RFE so why the heck not! :)

(bona fide marriage is the same as good faith marriage or genuine marriage.)

To be honest I think you missed a few minor details because you have a joint deed and title to your car(s)...

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks everyone! I like the power of attorney! We sent the health insurance info in the first package.

I think I was too confident after reading about so many having so little co mingling that I thought, house, mortgage, cars, insurance, credit cards would be enough but heck now their getting a TON of statements from the very start.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks everyone! I like the power of attorney! We sent the health insurance info in the first package.

I think I was too confident after reading about so many having so little co mingling that I thought, house, mortgage, cars, insurance, credit cards would be enough but heck now their getting a TON of statements from the very start.

Wow - I'm rather surprised you got an RFE with your list!

We sent our package in today - 3 pounds 12.7 ounces worth. We did send joint ownership documents for our cat, which we imported from Australia.

Bona fide is Latin for "good faith" - Bona = good, and "fide" (fee-day) is faith or steadfastness. It's the same root used in the English word "fidelity".

We sent in bank statements from the month we married (with my spouse's old surname), and the quarterly statements after that (after my spouse changed her surname to mine). I have read that it is important to send EVERY page of the statement (even though I know I killed several trees in the process).

We did not send affidavits.

Good luck. Your letter actually made my heart skip a beat or two....

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.