JeffreyO

Proof of Residence in the US

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

My wife had her interview earlier today at the US Embassy in Bangkok and while she passed the interview questions they said that they wanted further proof of my residence in the states. Apparently my W2's and 1040's weren't enough, which is odd... my question is, what can I use at this point?

Would my state income tax return work? As you only pay state income tax if you live in a state. I live with roommates and am not on the lease nor do I have any bills in my name and I'm not registered to vote. My license (ID) is expired as I have used my passport and social security card for employment and live in New York City so I have no need to drive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Some ideas - A state photo ID, bank statements showing your address, mail addressed to you, medical insurance statements, etc. A signed affidavit from the leaseholder stating that you live there and the length of time.

Living off the grid makes the immigration process more difficult. Remember that it is your responsibility to provide the needed information, not the USCIS to dig around.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Some ideas - A state photo ID, bank statements showing your address, mail addressed to you, medical insurance statements, etc. A signed affidavit from the leaseholder stating that you live there and the length of time.

Living off the grid makes the immigration process more difficult. Remember that it is your responsibility to provide the needed information, not the USCIS to dig around.

I don't have a state ID, at least not one that's in date. I haven't needed it and have used my passport for things like employment. Honestly I don't need it in NYC and who wants to deal with the DMV?

I do, however, have bank statements with the address listed and credit card statements...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Lease, utility bills, perhaps bank verification statements.

Regardless whether you want to deal with the DMV or not, license/ID is very important.

To prove domicile and show your continued ties to the US, you can show voting records, proof of paying state/local taxes, proof of property ownership, maintenance of bank accounts in USA, mailing address that receives legitimate mail (not spam/junk mail), etc.

If the consulate is not convinced that you have ties to the US, they may deny the visa. Gather as much proof as you can and good luck! :)

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Timeline

Lease, utility bills, perhaps bank verification statements.

Regardless whether you want to deal with the DMV or not, license/ID is very important.

As I mentioned I live with roommates who signed the lease and the utility bills are in their name so that's a no-go. I do have bank statements and ID is not a requirement in the US.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

As I mentioned I live with roommates who signed the lease and the utility bills are in their name so that's a no-go. I do have bank statements and ID is not a requirement in the US.

ID is not a requirement, but in your case you might need it to prove residence. So go get one if you can.

No one likes to deal with the DMV.

Timeline

I'm in Thailand visiting my wife at the moment and unfortunately I can't go to the DMV. The plan was to spend the rest of the time here until she receives her passport back and head back... :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Well if you can't prove your residency you may have to head back beforehand and sort it out.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm in Thailand visiting my wife at the moment and unfortunately I can't go to the DMV. The plan was to spend the rest of the time here until she receives her passport back and head back... :(

It may be wiser to return home and sort out the problems.

You seem to think that this is a USCIS problem. That is mistaken. It is your problem to solve in order to obtain the visa.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

It may be wiser to return home and sort out the problems.

You seem to think that this is a USCIS problem. That is mistaken. It is your problem to solve in order to obtain the visa.

It's not that they're the problem it's that the embassy's request is illogical. Also USCIS is done, USCIS only handles some of the tasks then hands it off to the embassy, USCIS was great, this is the staff at the embassy being illogical. Having a W2 with my address and my companies address both being listed as NYC should prove domicile but it's not that I have an option at this point. I'll have to bend the knee and figure out what they want, which would be nice if they provided a list.

I have found this list on the US Embassy in Bangkok's site.

A convincing combination of the following types of action might be considered as an indication of residence:

• Establishing an address in the United States
  • Setting up and maintaining bank accounts in the United States
  • Transferring funds to the United States
  • Making and maintaining investments in the United States
  • Seeking employment in the United States
  • Applying for a social security number
  • Voting in local, state, or federal elections
  • Enrolling children in schools
  • Paying U.S. income taxes
  • Taking steps to relinquish residency in a foreign country

To retort to these - I already have an address in the US

I have bank accounts in the US

I don't transfer funds to the US since I already lived there

I have an investment account with shares in public US companies.

I don't seek employment because I am already employed in the US

I am a citizen and as such already have a social security card.

I don't vote

I don't have children.

I do pay income taxes and have proven that but I did not prove state taxes so i will provide those.

I don't need to take steps to relinquish residency in a foreign country as I have no residency in a foreign country.

I suppose at this point, bank statements, credit card statements, investment account statement, state tax return and a notarized letter explaining why the others are not available is the best I can do at this point.

Do you pay *anything* to your roommates? Like, a share of the bills and rent? Do you have any agreements with them to pay a share?

To be honest, the request seems totally logical to me. You're in Thailand with no fixed plans to return home (if you do, then perhaps include that information for them - return ticket, etc.) and you have provided them no evidence of actually living in the USA so far.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Do you pay *anything* to your roommates? Like, a share of the bills and rent? Do you have any agreements with them to pay a share?

To be honest, the request seems totally logical to me. You're in Thailand with no fixed plans to return home (if you do, then perhaps include that information for them - return ticket, etc.) and you have provided them no evidence of actually living in the USA so far.

My W2's and tax returns show that I reside in the US so I have provided proof but they want more.

With that in mind, they explicitly say not to buy plane tickets until the passport has been returned with visa in hand. I did pay them but unfortunately there was no written agreement between us, only verbal :(.

With that in mind, they explicitly say not to buy plane tickets until the passport has been returned with visa in hand.

That advice is for the beneficiary, not you.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.