nadiayluis

who can help me with my k1 visa

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

i live in venezuela but i am an american citizen i have been 5 years in venezuela now im planning to move to california and do the k1 visa for my fiance but i find my self in this problem with the taxes in america i have till the 15th of april to pay taxes and im not there yet my question is... ( is it necesary pay for my taxes there to apply for the k1 visa??) or can i apply the k1 visa without paying taxes because im not in california yet.. i know i have to have money to apply for this visa so i can prove that i can afford to him living with me...

please i need your help a want to start with the k1 visa now

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Have you filed prior year taxes? Are you just wanting to file the 2015 tax year? As a U.S. citizen you should be current with all tax filings. If you had no requirement then I believe they would accept a letter stating you did not have a filing requirement, but double check that.

Each consulate has their own requirements for the evidence of financial support so you'll want to confirm those requirements too.

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

Timeline

i live in venezuela i never worked in america but if i dont file taxes there like can i start working right away and take them a proof of employment? or what do you suggest ?? because as soon as i get to america i want to start with the I-129F

Timeline

Oh I see, ok, if you never worked here or had any reportable income then you have no filing requirement.

So yes, as soon as you move back to the U.S. it would be very beneficial to have employment. As evidence of financial support they usually ask for the Form I-134, which one of the supporting documents is a letter from your employer stating your employment status and your annual earnings. That you will need for the K-1, but usually it's asked at the interview stage and not before. So you can start the K-1 process without having that yet.

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i live in venezuela i never worked in america but if i dont file taxes there like can i start working right away and take them a proof of employment? or what do you suggest ?? because as soon as i get to america i want to start with the I-129F

Doesn't matter where you worked or lived. As a U.S. citizen you must file taxes even on foreign earned income.

Timeline

AH OK SO ITS NOT NECESARY TO FILE TAXES BECAUSE I CAN SHOW THEM I HAVE A GOOD JOB AND FILLING THE I-134 SO THEY CAN

certify my income?

Timeline

you think i should leave monday to america and file my taxes as self employment before april 15th or is there any wat i can do it from here?

Shauneg

Timeline

I'm confused, so you do have reportable income? If you are self-employed then you do have reportable income.

Have you filed your taxes for the other 4 or 5 years?

You can always request an extension until October so you don't have to rush over just to file.

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

you think i should leave monday to america and file my taxes as self employment before april 15th or is there any wat i can do it from here? Shauneg

Why do you think you have to be on American soil to file taxes? I'm really confused.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I've worked in Mexico for the past two and a half years and I still had to file taxes. As an American, if you make (I believe) over $10,000 a year, even in a different country, you still need to file taxes. If you have never filed, then you need to start working on filing the back taxes from how ever many years you've been working. Depending on your income and situation, you might not have to pay anything (I didn't because I didn't make enough when converted to USD) but you still need to be in the system. I've seen someone on here delayed because they hadn't filed their taxes for this year yet.

Additionally, showing them you have a good job in Venezuela doesn't necessarily matter. Foreign income doesn't count in regards to financial support for your fiance(e). Since you are not making USD, to the consulate it'll basically not matter how much you make so you'll need to find a co-sponsor that will be able to financially "support" the both of you. While you'll still need to fill out I-134, your co-sponsor will need to fill out one as well and be the one to prove financial stability with tax transcripts, paystubs, letter of employment and etc.

I would maybe find a tax accountant where you live, or do them online if you can, and start working on your taxes where you're at. You can also find a tax accountant in the US and communicate online (it's what I did). You don't have to go there in order to take care of this.

Good luck!

ROC I-797C

ROC Sent: 6/21/18

ROC Received: 6/23/18

NOA1: 7/5/18

NOA2: Reused Biometrics: 3/16/19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

You must file taxes in the US no matter where in the world you live and work. Have you not filed taxes for any of the years you lived abroad?

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What maspas said above is absolutely correct. I had some tax issues, but cleared them up before filing the K-1. Most of my time at the interview was spent explaining my taxes and income (I owned a business and worked for the government - very confusing). You need a paper trail of at least three tax years.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please do some research. All US citizens, whether they live in the US or not, need to comply with US tax laws. If you have been earning money while living in Venezuela, that income needs to be reported to the IRS. Every year. You might not have to pay US taxes depending on the tax treaties, but your income at least has to be declared in a return.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

you need to go back and file taxes for all of the years you earned income while you were in Venezuela. Just because you did not live in the US does not exclude you from paying taxes here. Do not apply for a K-1 for you boyfriend until you have all of your taxes from previous years filed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You probably don't have to pay any taxes, but you need to file them. You need to file for the past 3 years, but should be OK if you made under a certain amount each year. Per the IRS:

If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to an amount of your foreign earnings that is adjusted annually for inflation ($92,900 for 2011, $95,100 for 2012, $97,600 for 2013, $99,200 for 2014 and $100,800 for 2015).

I would go ahead and apply for the K-1 visa. While you're waiting for approval, you can get your taxes done. Assuming your income is below the amounts listed above and you don't have any income earned here in the USA (via perhaps stocks or other investments), it should be very easy for you to file your taxes.

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.