luck4unme

Which Visa Should I Apply For?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi All.

I have been a resident of Colombia for many years. I plan to file a Direct Consulate Filing if allowed.

We have no interest in living in the USA.........ust plan to visit family and show them my country. Several married guys' wives applied for B-1 tourist visa and were denied. They think it was because they were married and therefore the correct visa was spousal.

So are they correct that we should apply for a spousal visa even though we have no interest in residing in the USA?

Specifically, is anyone aware of tourist visa apps being denied to wives of US citizens because they were married? Or is it just a coincidence and the visa app would have been denied regardless of marital status.

Thanks

You will have to show how you're re-establishing your residency for the spousal visa to be approved. Which is fraud because you have no intention on doing so. Then she will end up losing the green card, because she is not maintaining residency. You're caught in one of those catch 22s. They don't believe you're not short cutting the immigration process by getting a visitors visa, but you can't keep a green card if she doesn't stay there. Apply for the tourist visa, but before you do, gather plenty of hard evidence on why you're not moving back to the USA and she isn't either. Establish the hard ties on why she will return.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

B1 is for business.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I am a rookie at all this. Apologize if I read the following incorrectly:

A B-1/B-2 visa is commonly known as a tourist visa, since it the type of nonimmigrant visa used for tourism. The majority of visa applicants at U.S. Embassy Bogota apply for this visa. It is for people who wish to visit the United States temporarily for business or pleasure.

• Some of the activities permissible on a B-1/B-2 visa are:

• Going on vacation

• Visiting family members or friends

• Attending business meetings

• Participating in work-related training

• Performing missionary work

B-1 is the business visitor. B-2 is the vacationing and visiting family visa.

I am a rookie at all this. Apologize if I read the following incorrectly:

A B-1/B-2 visa is commonly known as a tourist visa, since it the type of nonimmigrant visa used for tourism. The majority of visa applicants at U.S. Embassy Bogota apply for this visa. It is for people who wish to visit the United States temporarily for business or pleasure.

• Some of the activities permissible on a B-1/B-2 visa are:
  • Going on vacation
  • Visiting family members or friends
  • Attending business meetings
  • Participating in work-related training
  • Performing missionary work

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Thanks Cary

As mentioned, I have been a resident of Colombia for many years and have no desire to reside anywhere else.

I do not own property or have any assets in the USA or Colombia..... just a small bank account for the purpose of direct deposit of Social Security that I immediately withdraw via Colombian ATM. I have no work skills or ability to work or live in the USA.... nor do I have sufficient income or desire to reside CONUS. I have adopted my wife's six year old daughter and am comitted to her getting her educaton here in her home country.

My wife owns a car, a home and has bank accounts here in Colombia. She has close family here and does not know anyone in the USA. She is the mother of a 6 year old girl who I have adopted. We would want her to travel with us. Disney, DC, New York, Chicago.....maybe Grand Canyon, Vegas etc.

We love our life here and have no desire to live anywhere else on the planet. :)

What other "hard evidence" would be helpful in obtaining a tourist visa?

Interesting that some of my friends were forced into chosing fraud in order for their wives and children to simply visit the USA. Catch 22 is an understatement.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Timeline

What does your wife do?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Tourist Visas, from What visa do I need. - As the OP doesn't plan on moving to the US.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Interesting that some of my friends were forced into chosing fraud in order for their wives and children to simply visit the USA. Catch 22 is an understatement.

They weren't forced into committing fraud. They committed fraud.

And the actions of your friends is the very reason it is difficult to get a visa from many countries.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They weren't forced into committing fraud. They committed fraud.

And the actions of your friends is the very reason it is difficult to get a visa from many countries.

What I think he means is that they were forced to pursue CR-1 visas just to visit the US as they weren't able to get tourist visas.

Not that they tried using tourist visas to move to the States

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

That is not fraud and not an option here.

Timeline

So.... the consensus is to have her apply for a B-2 tourist visa and if denied ......"that is the way the cookie crumbles."

And as a result we will not be able to visit my country and my extended family.

Before anyone launches barbs, yes, I am fully aware that is my choice to live outside of my country of birth and citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

So.... the consensus is to have her apply for a B-2 tourist visa and if denied ......"that is the way the cookie crumbles."

And as a result we will not be able to visit my country and my extended family.

Before anyone launches barbs, yes, I am fully aware that is my choice to live outside of my country of birth and citizenship.

sorry to say this is pretty much true. One cannot apply for a cr-1 knowing full well they will not live here. It is lying, lying is misrepresentation, misrepresentation is a lifetime ban. If there ever comes a time when you actually do want to move back to the US, or apply for another B2 in the future it would be impossible with a lifetime ban for your wife. The best advice is to gather as much evidence you can proving ties to home. and apply for the b2 .

Also applying for a cr1 isn;t as easy as you think, it is very expensive, well over $1000 when said and done, plus you have to prove domicile in the US before the visa is issued and there is the affidavit of support. You have to prove you can support her so she doesn't become a public charge, so you have to fill out an affidavit proving you earn enough money here in the US-obviously you don;t work here, so that means you would have to get a joint sponsor willing to sign(and willing to lie to immigration for you) their own affidavit that he/she would essentially be supporting your wife(lying for you). A cr1 also takes at least a year. But even telling you this is a moot point because filing for a cr1 when you never plan to live here would involve lying, lying is material misrepresentation, material misrepresentation is lifetime ban.

Edited by mimolicious

Your ties to Colombia will also have some effect on the outcome. Don't compare yourself to other cases.

I have also seen people get the Greencard, then basically "turn it in" at the embassy in foreign country and "exchange" it for a B2. Giving up the GC like that can prove that you really don't, in fact, want to live in the US (because the GC is permission to do so).

But don't worry about that before you apply for the B2 outright. If she is honest in her application, then even if she is denied, it will not hurt her in the long term.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.