N and J

Looking for Advice about previous K1...Getting ready to file another K1 or CR1??

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey everyone, okay I am just looking for advice about whether I should file a K1 or a CR1. Here is the problem: ( I am not looking for relationship advice only advice as to whether this is going to hurt me or bar me from brining my fiancee here.)

In August of 2013, I filed for my ex from Algeria to come here. I was stupid and got played. I should have known by all the red flags prior to bringing him here but I didn't. I posted about this when it happened back in 2014...Once my ex-got here I got married and he just was very very different so I pushed off filing for his AOS. In fact, I never filed for his papers. I knew the night before he left that he was going to take off so I hid his papers. He found his passport and nothing else. When he left I gave him a few hours and after being ignored for hours I called every agency I could think of to report him. There was little I could do until he was out of status. He ended up moving in with my neighbor and I had to get a restraining order on him for engaging in inappropriate behavior with my daughter. This was also another reason why I could not keep him around. He would change in front of my daughter who was only 5 at the time and always had to touch her. He had well over 200 pictures on his phone of her that were just random pics of her playing and at one point he said she grabbed his private area. Let me add when he left I got the temp restraining order on him and the judge could not uphold the restraining order but did tell him if he even looked in my direction he will open the case again and make sure he goes to jail. He said he couldn't uphold the restraining order because there was no DV at that time. Just disturbing problems and to add to the problem he would barely talk to me. He would skype with his friends from home and laugh all day. When I got home he would sit and watch tv and save very little unless to argue with me. He started in on our government sucks and our military is horrible and it went on. I had talked to him about going home and he refused and I told him this wasn't going to work. He begged me to keep him here for 2 years and even had his friends beg me to let him live someplace else and wait 2 years. Of course, I refused. I am not in the habit of lying and I really value my freedom...Anyway, he took off. After he became out of status I reported him to SS and told them he had a card and he was out of status, I reported him to ICE, and DHS for marriage fraud and what the courts called alarming behavior with children. I ended up befriending him in January of 2015 because he always checked in on facebook and I knew when he was in my area. I refused to let my daughter go play outside in that summer....I can't explain the feeling I got after explaining to him we don't change in front of kids in this country. then it happened twice after that.

Anywho, he had tried to get a friend of mine to marry him (I have proof of screenshots he sent me, he thought we were getting back together in 2015) then I have screenshots and messages from a woman who he knew before he came here and he tried getting her to marry him. I have the emails and messages from his friends and him begging me to keep him here. I have proof that I even went to immigration and gave him the address where he was and immigration told me they will never pick him up....

Here is my question and please I don't need nasty comments just looking for helpful advice....

I know I am going to be put in AP that is fine....I wrote a letter to include with all the proof I have which is a lot explaining what happened and I tried to get him to go home and he took off. I put a lot of info and everything I had in there the judges ruling, the police report, letters to all agencies. I even said I will gladly go in for an interview. I put in that I recently called DHS and screenshots of where he is working now in Conn. HAHA funny when I called DHS they said if I gave them the address they would go get him....I said I had that when he was living next to me and no one wanted him!!

Do you think this is going to hurt me in filing another K1? I have taken the time with my new fiancee. Unlike the last time, I have multiple trips to see him. I also explained in a letter the red flags I should have seen....I really never thought I would find myself here again. I have enough proof this relationship is in good faith and unlike my ex, which I found out later my fiancee isn't hiding me. Also, my fiancee is truly only coming here for me and so I can stay in school and work the job I want (I am in school for my masters for military social work...yes I hope to run the VA) he has every reason to stay home a good job, a huge family, they are not poor or hurting for money in any way and he has a disabled brother who he truly does not want to leave.

Any advice by someone who has maybe went through something like this or filed for more than one K1? Also, not sure if this makes a difference (I should have taken the cues from a child) my daughter hated my ex only talking to him on skype. She said he would stare at her. She loves my fiancee now and looks to talk to him. We are both going to stay with him for the whole summer. I have never seen a kid so excited.

Thank you in advance!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Do you think this is going to hurt me in filing another K1?

Yes, on two points.....you're still married to him. You can not file for another K-1 until you become officially divorced.

Second point is.....this all happened within the last two years. Now you want to do another? The timing is so close how will it look to the Embassy CO? Maybe it's not your fault and you are not committing widespread visa fraud, but if you didn't pick up the major points on the first, what's to prove that you've changed on this second?

I guess three points......K-1s in Morocco are very hard. You should now this.

I have taken the time with my new fiancee.

Are you sure?

Unlike the last time, I have multiple trips to see him. I also explained in a letter the red flags I should have seen....I really never thought I would find myself here again. I have enough proof this relationship is in good faith and unlike my ex, which I found out later my fiancee isn't hiding me. Also, my fiancee is truly only coming here for me and so I can stay in school and work the job I want (I am in school for my masters for military social work...yes I hope to run the VA) he has every reason to stay home a good job, a huge family, they are not poor or hurting for money in any way and he has a disabled brother who he truly does not want to leave.

All sounds good but may not be enough. CR-1s are easier.

Any advice by someone who has maybe went through something like this or filed for more than one K1? Also, not sure if this makes a difference (I should have taken the cues from a child) my daughter hated my ex only talking to him on skype. She said he would stare at her. She loves my fiancee now and looks to talk to him. We are both going to stay with him for the whole summer. I have never seen a kid so excited.

That helps.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Do you think this is going to hurt me in filing another K1?

Yes, on two points.....you're still married to him. You can not file for another K-1 until you become officially divorced.

Second point is.....this all happened within the last two years. Now you want to do another? The timing is so close how will it look to the Embassy CO? Maybe it's not your fault and you are not committing widespread visa fraud, but if you didn't pick up the major points on the first, what's to prove that you've changed on this second?

I guess three points......K-1s in Morocco are very hard. You should now this.

I have taken the time with my new fiancee.

Are you sure?

Unlike the last time, I have multiple trips to see him. I also explained in a letter the red flags I should have seen....I really never thought I would find myself here again. I have enough proof this relationship is in good faith and unlike my ex, which I found out later my fiancee isn't hiding me. Also, my fiancee is truly only coming here for me and so I can stay in school and work the job I want (I am in school for my masters for military social work...yes I hope to run the VA) he has every reason to stay home a good job, a huge family, they are not poor or hurting for money in any way and he has a disabled brother who he truly does not want to leave.

All sounds good but may not be enough. CR-1s are easier.

That helps.

I am divorced. I was divorced a month after I got married. Which is what sparked his begging of me keeping him here. I filled out divorce papers the 3rd time I caught him changing his pants in front of my daughter. 1st time okay I had to explain some cultures are different, second, I saw him but wasn't sure exactly what I saw...3rd time caught him redhanded. There is no excuse when you have been told over and over unless you are an absolute pervert. But yes I have the messages from his friends telling me he would not show up for the divorce and they won't give it to me and he can live here as a citizens husband and get all the same benefits.

I know Morocco is hard. So was Algeria. Not a problem. I guess Algeria is not that hard because as of 2 days ago my ex brought his cousin here on a "visit". I am almost sure he will not be going home. I don't even know how I would report this.

Yes, I am sure I took the time this time well I guess as sure as anyone can be about a person. I don't think anyone is ever a guarantee when you are bringing someone from another country. Even if you have been with someone for 20 years.

CR1 I had all plans on, it was set for us to get married over the summer but I do not know if I will have the time. The amount of paperwork to get together while there is crazy plus you have to get it translated and stamped then go back to places to be stamped again. I have 52 days there it truly seems like 52 days is not enough and if I start the process and I can't get married I am screwed for at least 1-2 years. I'm in grad school and start an internship in January. My last trip to Morocco for at least a year will be in December of 2016. Between January 2017 and December 2017 I will be finishing up school with only 4 weeks of a break the whole year. I would rather do a CR1...I am just unsure of the time to get married. Not in a rush to get him here. If I had to wait an extra 6 months or more for the CR1 that would be fine at least he could come here and work and it is so much cheaper!! I am so confused.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am divorced

Great. So you have the court issued stamped divorce decree? You'll need this to file again.

I am almost sure he will not be going home. I don't even know how I would report this.

It's not your problem and need to walk away.

Yes, I am sure I took the time this time well I guess as sure as anyone can be about a person. I don't think anyone is ever a guarantee when you are bringing someone from another country. Even if you have been with someone for 20 years.

Correct but, when looked at things overall, the timing between the two is very short and will be a huge red flag.

CR1 I had all plans on, it was set for us to get married over the summer but I do not know if I will have the time. The amount of paperwork to get together while there is crazy plus you have to get it translated and stamped then go back to places to be stamped again. I have 52 days there it truly seems like 52 days is not enough and if I start the process and I can't get married I am screwed for at least 1-2 years. I'm in grad school and start an internship in January. My last trip to Morocco for at least a year will be in December of 2016. Between January 2017 and December 2017 I will be finishing up school with only 4 weeks of a break the whole year. I would rather do a CR1...I am just unsure of the time to get married. Not in a rush to get him here. If I had to wait an extra 6 months or more for the CR1 that would be fine at least he could come here and work and it is so much cheaper!! I am so confused.

Maybe the best thing is to wait. Your call and good luck.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Seychelles
Timeline

" he would not show up for the divorce and they won't give it to me and he can live here as a citizens husband and get all the same benefits."

I don't know if that is true. If there is no AOS and you submitted information to USCIS, I don't know how he could have the same benefits as a US Citizen. This man should be caught and deported and all information you have about him must be giving to law enforcement.

You need to come out clean of all this prior to even thinking about k1 visa again. In your case I would think the red flags will be raised everywhere.

Good luck

Timeline

" he would not show up for the divorce and they won't give it to me and he can live here as a citizens husband and get all the same benefits."

I don't know if that is true. If there is no AOS and you submitted information to USCIS, I don't know how he could have the same benefits as a US Citizen. This man should be caught and deported and all information you have about him must be giving to law enforcement.

You need to come out clean of all this prior to even thinking about k1 visa again. In your case I would think the red flags will be raised everywhere.

Good luck

No it is not true. His friend was under the impression that all you have to do is marry someone and you have a paved way to citizenship. By just being married gives you all rights. No papers were ever filed.

When I called DHS recently to report him after finding out he is driving for a living....they told me if I could give them his address they would get him. I told them why when he was living next to me and was out of status and I reported him no one came to get him. I gave them the names of the places he is working but they said there is not much they can do. I know he has a bank account with TD Bank. They told me they can't use that either.

Not sure what you mean about coming out clean of all this. I sent my letter to immigration actually hand delivered it and was told once he is out of status if he gets picked up for a crime they may deport him or they may not. Not exactly sure what the come out clean comment is. My hands are clean. I never took a single penny from him. I gave him his money he came here with back minus the money for the plane ticket and phone I paid for on my credit card which was agreed to be paid for. Please explain what you mean by come clean of all this?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Seychelles
Timeline

No it is not true. His friend was under the impression that all you have to do is marry someone and you have a paved way to citizenship. By just being married gives you all rights. No papers were ever filed.

When I called DHS recently to report him after finding out he is driving for a living....they told me if I could give them his address they would get him. I told them why when he was living next to me and was out of status and I reported him no one came to get him. I gave them the names of the places he is working but they said there is not much they can do. I know he has a bank account with TD Bank. They told me they can't use that either.

Not sure what you mean about coming out clean of all this. I sent my letter to immigration actually hand delivered it and was told once he is out of status if he gets picked up for a crime they may deport him or they may not. Not exactly sure what the come out clean comment is. My hands are clean. I never took a single penny from him. I gave him his money he came here with back minus the money for the plane ticket and phone I paid for on my credit card which was agreed to be paid for. Please explain what you mean by come clean of all this?

"Not exactly sure what the come out clean comment is. My hands are clean. I never took a single penny from him. I gave him his money he came here with back minus the money for the plane ticket and phone I paid for on my credit card which was agreed to be paid for. Please explain what you mean by come clean of all this?"

I did not mean you did anything wrong and this has nothing to do with money at all. What I mean by coming out clean, what you are doing and still doing by reporting him to the authority and follow ups, keep everything documented just to protect yourself in the future when you file for K1 Visa in case any questions arise from USCIS . This is all what I meant by coming out clean just to protect yourself.

Timeline

I have 2 copies stamped. The courts gave me his just in case I ran into him or found out where he was. I could have been nice and put it in my neighbors mailbox but he could have been nice and peacefully went home like I asked. I also should point out....I have all his other papers I was instructed not to give them to him by an attorney because it could be viewed as aiding him in committing fraud. This is also why I did not give him the divorce papers.

I will figure it out I just want other perspectives so I can sit and think and figure this out.

Thank you for taking the time to answer i really appreciate it.

Timeline

"Not exactly sure what the come out clean comment is. My hands are clean. I never took a single penny from him. I gave him his money he came here with back minus the money for the plane ticket and phone I paid for on my credit card which was agreed to be paid for. Please explain what you mean by come clean of all this?"

I did not mean you did anything wrong and this has nothing to do with money at all. What I mean by coming out clean, what you are doing and still doing by reporting him to the authority and follow ups, keep everything documented just to protect yourself in the future when you file for K1 Visa in case any questions arise from USCIS . This is all what I meant by coming out clean just to protect yourself.

I don't think you meant anything wrong. Not even a little. I mentioned money because I'm sure that will be the COs first thought.

I would be 100% honest if fact I have no problems going to immigration for an interview and questions. God it must seem like I stalk him however he still is very good friends with my neighbor I just want to know when he is around. I do updates and make copies of the messages. I only have all this information from past conversations with him and his friends because I plan on working for the government and if by chance this ever came up in the future I would be able to show them or if he got in trouble and they tried to say I didn't report him...I have the proof I did. By no means did I ever think I'd be thinking about this process again. The first time with paperwork I thought was enough craziness for a lifetime. Seriously waiting for the first K1 drive me batty ?.

You are 100% right though and thank you. I really did not feel you meant anything bad. I know the first thing the CO will probably think is money. Not the case.

Okay lots to think about. Moving for me right now is just not an option plus my daughter is 7 and it would be a setback to her to have to learn anew language.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You would need to provide plenty of proof that the relationship is bona fide. The more face-to-face time you have together, the better. If you need to, have more in person visits before filing. Just make sure the new fiance knows everything, and that both of you are completely honest on the forms and with the CO. I don't think this is something that will stop you from you getting another K-1, but you will most likely be more scrutinized, so like I said, in person time together and plenty of proof that the relationship is real and not just for immigration purposes. Read through the reviews for Morocco, and through the MENA forum to get a good idea of what you might face going through that consulate.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

You would need to provide plenty of proof that the relationship is bona fide. The more face-to-face time you have together, the better. If you need to, have more in person visits before filing. Just make sure the new fiance known everything, and that both of you are completely honest on the forms and with the CO. I don't think this is something that will stop you from you getting another K-1, but you will most likely be more scrutinized, so like I said, in person time together and plenty of proof that the relationship is real and not just for immigration purposes. Read through the reviews for Morocco, and through the MENA forum to get a good idea of what you might face going through that consulate.

Thank you. I planned on filling after my summer trip which it will be for the whole summer. If I have to wait until my following trip in December that will be fine also. I figured after the summer I will know for sure if we can even stand living together...I am a very hard person to live with...I can't even lie. If he can deal with me he is a saint. I already know I will be put in AP and that is fine. I would not be surprised at all if I have to go to the immigration office for an interview. That too is fine. He knows the whole story. I would be very honest. I want to be a little too honest and ask them why when I had his address did they not pick him up and now that I don't they are willing to get him. But I wouldn't say that....I have to pick and choose my battles lol. By no means to I think it will be easy. Not a K1 or a CR1. All I can do is try. If worse comes to worse I will have to get an immigration attorney...not sure how much they can do but who knows.

Thank you for your response I appreciate it!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

he said your daughter tried to touch his privates? What did your 5 year old daughter have to say about it? When someone is 5 years old it does't matter what they indulged in with an adult; the adult SHOULD and WILL be held responsible.

I don't know what to say; this guy is a public hazard and he's out on the streets loose because you petitioned him here.

If he did inappropriate things with your 5 year old daughter he should be jail simple as that. I honestly can't care about your K-1 question as much as being disturbed by what you said.

Timeline

Yeah as if I knew he was going to be a sicko. As if I would have still brought him here knowing he liked kids. Did you not read that I took him to court? Many people should be in jail....he should be in jail for quite a few things. Also I did what I had to I had the address where he was immigration thought it was a waste of time to get him.

Timeline

Was there any age difference between you and your ex? Is there any now between you and your current fiance? Morocco they don't approve age difference lot so you should be ready for trouble. Cr1 is safer then k1.

Timeline

Was there any age difference between you and your ex? Is there any now between you and your current fiance? Morocco they don't approve age difference lot so you should be ready for trouble. Cr1 is safer then k1.

No my ex was my age only about a year younger than I and my fiancée is like 3 years younger. Not even a full 3 years. I guess every case is different. I have met a few women on here who were much older than their significant other and were approved from Morocco. Than again age wasn't part of my question.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.