kris_hetfield

To US Citizens: Scrutiny on previous citizenship when travelling

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi,

This is aimed at people who have already become USC. If I posted in the wrong sub-forum, can mod please move it.

After gaining citizenship and travelling to other western countries, is there any scrutiny on your previous citizenship at border control, especially in the case where you were formerly a non-western citizen and have a non-white appearance?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi,

This is aimed at people who have already become USC. If I posted in the wrong sub-forum, can mod please move it.

After gaining citizenship and travelling to other western countries, is there any scrutiny on your previous citizenship at border control, especially in the case where you were formerly a non-western citizen and have a non-white appearance?

Thanks

28% of the US population has non-white appearance and every year about 700 thousand people get naturalized (a high percentage come from non-western countries). That's a lot of people but I am sure somebody has great stories to share. Regardless, you should not worry about this and if, for whatever reason, you get picked at border crossing, call the US consulate in that country immediately for assistance.

28% of the US population has non-white appearance and every year about 700 thousand people get naturalized (a high percentage come from non-western countries). That's a lot of people but I am sure somebody has great stories to share. Regardless, you should not worry about this and if, for whatever reason, you get picked at border crossing, call the US consulate in that country immediately for assistance.

good answer

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

There shouldn't be extra scrutiny.

Remember that if you're unduly harassed by CBP, you should:

-- get that agent's name & badge number;

-- get the full name & e-mail address of the Port Director;

-- get the name of the Chief Patrol Agent for that sector.

In addition, you can visit www.cbp.gov to file complaints.

*** Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Working & Traveling forum -- topic is travel. ***

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

There shouldn't be extra scrutiny.

Remember that if you're unduly harassed by CBP, you should:

-- get that agent's name & badge number;

-- get the full name & e-mail address of the Port Director;

-- get the name of the Chief Patrol Agent for that sector.

In addition, you can visit www.cbp.gov to file complaints.

*** Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Working & Traveling forum -- topic is travel. ***

I wasn't asking about US CBP, but their foreign counterparts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Aha. That would probably depend on the country. Keep the phone number for the Citizen Services department at the appropriate U.S. consulates ready to use.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

This completely depends on the relationship between the original country and the one you are visiting. If you are really concerned about something, the US does allow you to get a passport that does not say the original country of birth, but rather the original city of birth, if that would help you in any way.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

This completely depends on the relationship between the original country and the one you are visiting. If you are really concerned about something, the US does allow you to get a passport that does not say the original country of birth, but rather the original city of birth, if that would help you in any way.

o wow, amazing information. can you share any link to support this passport version ?

o wow, amazing information. can you share any link to support this passport version ?

Try some googling? I don't like to be given homework :) I found the official notice of this some time ago.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

US passport without country of birth is probably more applicable to cases like this:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/21/justice/supreme-court-jerusalem/

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

US passport without country of birth is probably more applicable to cases like this:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/21/justice/supreme-court-jerusalem/

thank you, i had followed this story when it came out

Try some googling? I don't like to be given homework :) I found the official notice of this some time ago.

chillax, it was a simple thing i asked. very American of you :)

Filed: Timeline

Yes it has happened to me at Dubai. I was on a business class line and was told to go to the economy. I ignored him. I was wrestled down and kicked by the Indian security guys or whoever the they hired who were more interested in kicking me than looking at my business class boarding pass.

I-129F Mailed: Aug 16, 2013 | Interview at Embassy Jan 24, 2014

K-1 VISA IN HAND: March 6, 2014

I-485 Mailed: June 20, 2014 | NPIW: October 15, 2014 | Welcome Letter: June 23, 2015

2 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: June 26, 2015

I-751 Mailed: March 20, 2017 | Approval Letter: February 24, 2018

10 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: March 23, 2018

N-400 Filed Online: March 20, 2018

Yes it has happened to me at Dubai. I was on a business class line and was told to go to the economy. I ignored him. I was wrestled down and kicked by the Indian security guys or whoever the #### they hired who were more interested in kicking me than looking at my business class boarding pass.

The immigration and customs at any airport in the world do not classify passengers by the boarding passes.most of the airports have separate lines for foreign pp holders and local to that country pp holder. in any case , the incident was unfortunate. sorry to hear that.the OP's question was for foreign born US citizens, are you a one ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.