saharnabi

K-1 Visa Afghanistan - AP after interview

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hi,

My fiance went in for the k-1 visa interview yesterday on April 3rd. He said the interview went well, and at the end the consulate gave him a yellow card and told him that the case needs to go through further administrative processing and it could take a few weeks to months, but they took his passport. Do you know what this means?

The case got approved fairly quickly. We sent the petition on December 22nd, 2015, and it got approved on February 15th, 2016. The petition got to the NVC on March 12th and we were given a case number. It was sent over to the Kabul embassy within a couple of weeks and the embassy scheduled the interview on April 3rd. I am hoping this administrative processing won't take too long. Can anyone share their experiences with me?

Thanks,

Sahar

Edited by saharnabi

Dec 22, 2015 - I-129F petition sent
Jan 10, 2016 - NOA1
Feb 15, 2016 - NOA2
Mar 02, 2016 - NVC received, case number assigned
Mar 22, 2016 - Interview scheduled by U.S embassy in Kabul
Apr 03, 2016 - Interview

Apr 10, 2016 - Status updated
Apr 19, 2016 - Status updated
May 07, 2016 - Status updated

May 10, 2016 - Status updated

....In dreadful AP.

AP can take days, weeks, months and even years! I saw one lady that had been in AP for over 12 months.

To be honest with you it's mostly down to the country. They will be going lots of background checks with someone from Afghanistan.

There's nothing you can do to speed up the AP at all. All you can do is just wait. It sucks I know.

But as long as he hasn't got any bad history then should be good to go in a few weeks time.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/113-waivers-i-601-and-i-212-and-administrative-processes-221g/

U can research in the AP forum. It's quite common. No one can tell you when it will end. You can read other VJ members stories in the AP forum.

Timeline

No bad history whatsoever. He currently works for the U.S. military in Kabul as a linguist - I am assuming they've already done a thorough background check on him so hopefully it won't take too long. We'll see....

Jan 10, 2016 - NOA1
Feb 15, 2016 - NOA2
Apr 03, 2016 - Interview

....In dreadful AP.

No bad history whatsoever. He currently works for the U.S. military in Kabul as a linguist - I am assuming they've already done a thorough background check on him so hopefully it won't take too long. We'll see....

That's no guarantee. Most terps have a long wait - several years. If they kept his passport, that's a good sign. I would suggest your fiance doesn't tell ANYONE that he is waiting for his visa. There is really no way to tell if someone has a bad history in Afg; some interpreters have been blacklisted without knowing why. It's a big problem in the Kabul USEM. My fiance worked as an interpreter for eight months for the US Army, along with his brother. His brother was waiting for about two or three years and his family entered the US last year on SIV. I know another Afghan guy that has two SIV petitions - one from 2011 and from 2012 - and a fiance petition from 2015...still in AP. He worked as a linguist for eight years. Another person here on VJ has a fiance that worked in the Kabul embassy for over eight years and they have been in AP for over two years. I can't remember how long they were waiting, exactly.

Our AP only lasted four months. You can see the dates on my signature and/or timeline. Other Afg members on here have gotten their visas approved in a much faster time than us. I'm sure the USEM will need to run a different background check for the visa than anything done for the linguist position. I tell you one thing, the Kabul embassy is like a box of chocolate - you never know what you're gonna get.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

That's no guarantee. Most terps have a long wait - several years. If they kept his passport, that's a good sign. I would suggest your fiance doesn't tell ANYONE that he is waiting for his visa. There is really no way to tell if someone has a bad history in Afg; some interpreters have been blacklisted without knowing why. It's a big problem in the Kabul USEM. My fiance worked as an interpreter for eight months for the US Army, along with his brother. His brother was waiting for about two or three years and his family entered the US last year on SIV. I know another Afghan guy that has two SIV petitions - one from 2011 and from 2012 - and a fiance petition from 2015...still in AP. He worked as a linguist for eight years. Another person here on VJ has a fiance that worked in the Kabul embassy for over eight years and they have been in AP for over two years. I can't remember how long they were waiting, exactly.

Our AP only lasted four months. You can see the dates on my signature and/or timeline. Other Afg members on here have gotten their visas approved in a much faster time than us. I'm sure the USEM will need to run a different background check for the visa than anything done for the linguist position. I tell you one thing, the Kabul embassy is like a box of chocolate - you never know what you're gonna get.

Thanks for your response. Did they take your fiance's passport after his interview?

Jan 10, 2016 - NOA1
Feb 15, 2016 - NOA2
Apr 03, 2016 - Interview

....In dreadful AP.

Thanks for your response. Did they take your fiance's passport after his interview?

No, they returned it, but called him to drop it off 29 days after the interview. We were concerned at that time too because he had the old handwritten passport and we weren't sure if his AP was going to extend beyond the time when he could fly with it. The embassy instructed us to not get the MRP, so we held off. Then his family had to move back to the village, and towards the end, we weren't sure where my guy was going to live. Since the embassy had his passport, we weren't sure if he was able to travel back to Pakistan to attend his classes back again. Our AP only lasted 59 days, but we were in NIV-Ready status for 40 days. I was tracking about 4 other KBL cases that switched to NIV-Ready status the same date as ours, but they were approved first. That was a very stressful and sad time for us; my father-in-law passed during these days. We had no idea what the next few days would bring for us, but thankfully our AP ending came at the right time to bring him to me! I'm very grateful that our AP was as short as it was.

Around the time we were waiting, a small group of Afg filers had their interviews about the same time - there were about four of them. I believe three of the four had gotten their visas approved that week. So some get approved fast and others are despondently slow.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

No, they returned it, but called him to drop it off 29 days after the interview. We were concerned at that time too because he had the old handwritten passport and we weren't sure if his AP was going to extend beyond the time when he could fly with it. The embassy instructed us to not get the MRP, so we held off. Then his family had to move back to the village, and towards the end, we weren't sure where my guy was going to live. Since the embassy had his passport, we weren't sure if he was able to travel back to Pakistan to attend his classes back again. Our AP only lasted 59 days, but we were in NIV-Ready status for 40 days. I was tracking about 4 other KBL cases that switched to NIV-Ready status the same date as ours, but they were approved first. That was a very stressful and sad time for us; my father-in-law passed during these days. We had no idea what the next few days would bring for us, but thankfully our AP ending came at the right time to bring him to me! I'm very grateful that our AP was as short as it was.

Around the time we were waiting, a small group of Afg filers had their interviews about the same time - there were about four of them. I believe three of the four had gotten their visas approved that week. So some get approved fast and others are despondently slow.

Glad everything worked out for you! I'll keep you posted on my case... hopefully it won't be too long of a wait!

Jan 10, 2016 - NOA1
Feb 15, 2016 - NOA2
Apr 03, 2016 - Interview

....In dreadful AP.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Just an update. The case is still undergoing administrative processing. the last update was on April 19th, the day he received call from the embassy. they asked him about his family and where lived the past 15 years. He was born in Afghanistan and moved to Pakistan with his family in 1996 to 2000 and moved back to Kabul in 2001 where he currently lives. the reason he moved to Pakistan in 1996 is because the Taliban controlled most parts of Afghanistan during that time. And that is what he told the embassy over the phone. I'm just praying they don't prolong the process because he lived in Pakistan in his early teens. Any thoughts anyone?

Jan 10, 2016 - NOA1
Feb 15, 2016 - NOA2
Apr 03, 2016 - Interview

....In dreadful AP.

There were millions of Afghan refugees during those years, so it's not so much of a big deal, but it's an area they need to investigate. My guy got this question during his interview. The same with their family. They left during the Russian invasion, then returned, then left again during the Talib years, then returned after they were deposed. My husband was studying in Pak and was well into his second year during the interview. (Thankfully, ours was during his summer break!) I'm sure they check out the visas and stamps in the passports. If someone is traveling between Pak and Afg without stamps or visas, that's probably sketchy. There are situations where those Afghans that have worked with US forces don't feel comfortable or safe traveling to Pak. I don't know if there are any records the USEm can access to verify visas, exit/entry stamps and actual travel between the two, but whatever resource they may have, I'm sure they use it. They may check to see if there are any records of his travel to Pak that he did not mention (if such a thing exists). Sounds like they are still working on the case and perhaps verifying information. I would take that as a good sign!

Signature coming soon...

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi!

I'm also applying for a K1 visa and I have a family friend who recently brought his, now wife then fiance, over. Although the man was the US citizen and he had served as a translator for the US army, they had their case approved and had the interview within 4 months but were placed on AP for 3 months (they were both quite old). I asked his wife what the process was like in AP and she said that honestly everyone is placed on AP but for most people they get accepted within 3-5 months, many are accepted quicker than that. As long as the interview went smoothly and the paperwork is all fine, it really shouldn't take that long. Most people that are in AP for a long time and are from Afghanistan have a longer history than they care to divulge on visajourney, and understandably so. I wouldn't worry too much, don't tell people a lot about your case because you know how people can nazar you. Just pray and wait and inshallah it will go smoothly. I will be sure to include you both in my prayers :-)

Timeline

Thank you both for your messages. Our case got updated on May 7th and again today on May 10th. So I am feeling quite hopeful that they are working on our case and visa will be issued soon. Inshallah.

Jan 10, 2016 - NOA1
Feb 15, 2016 - NOA2
Apr 03, 2016 - Interview

....In dreadful AP.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.