Aaron Q

Contacted NVC if they received my I-130 petition, and the operator told me to call back in mid-May if they received it. I need advice, please

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

Hello everyone! On March 16th, I received an email from the USCIS that my petition was approved and is routed to the USCIS Nebraska Service Center. The email also mentioned that they sent the Receipt notice (Form I-797) and instructed me to wait for 7-10 days to receive Form I-797. They also provide my Receipt Number LIN##########. Now, here is my situation where I need help. I live with my wife in Tbilisi, Georgia, so based on standard US and Georgian mailing times, I imaged that it may take from 1 month to 2 months to receive this letter. This is the NOA1, correct?

Next, I decided to call NVC today (March 30th) to find out if they received the petition or not. I got in touch with the representative and provided my Receipt Number LIN##########. He said that my petition is not in the system and asked me when I received the email. When I told him I received the email on March 16th, he recommended me to call back in the middle of May. In the middle of May?!?!?!

I read the NVC process here on VisaJourney, and I'm a little confused about it. According to the guide, it says that I should wait for three weeks after I received my Form I-797 (NOA1) to start calling NVC. Should I await for the From I-797 to arrive in my mail to start contacting NVC (It might take anywhere from 1 month to 2 months to receive the letter). Should I wait for another week (it has been two weeks since I received the email) to contact NVC again if they received my petition?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

You may have misread, NOA1 means that the petition was received by USCIS. It will take a few months, perhaps longer, before your petition is approved and then routed to NVC.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

The NVC will not have your petition yet. First it needs to be reviewed by the uscis. Once you get case complete they then send it to the NVC. You have around a 3-6 month wait until this happens.

Timeline

Ah. I see. This email is from Do_Not_Reply_Lockbox@dhs.gov:

Your case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS Nebraska Service Center for processing. Within 7-10 days by standard mail you will receive your official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) with your Receipt Number LIN##########. With the official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) you may visit www.uscis.gov where you can check the status of your case using My Case Status. We suggest you wait until you have received your Form I-797 before checking My Case Status.'

So, the Form I-797 is not the NOA1. I think that I was confuse with Homeland Security accepted the petition versus the USCIS. Thank you!

Timeline

It is the NOA1! It means receipt of your petition. You were thinking of NOA2 which means approval of your petition and then forwarded to NVC.

F2B

Timeline

OK. Since it's the NOA1, that means I should try to contact NVC next week then? According to the guide, you should wait for 3 weeks and then start calling NVC to get your case number by phone?

Timeline

You start contacting NVC after your get NOA2.

NOA1: Your petition has been received. (This is what you have)

NOA2: Your petition has been approved.

F2B

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.