indhiraastacio

Petitioning for a voluntary deportee who did time for 2nd degree attempted murder

27 posts in this topic

Hey lmao! I bet i got your attention. This question is from a family member who quite frankly is too old and doesn't know a thing about computers, let alone VJ. A permanent resident mother wants to petition for her son who signed a voluntary deportation after being in custody for 2nd degree attempted murder. He also has a mental illness (depression). He served two years in prison and deportation was five years ago. Does anyone think he has a chance? Feel free to be bold and frank.

Oh wait, for the curious minds a lil background on the arrest.

This guy was about 19 yrs old, hanging out with some friends getting drunk and high got into a fight with a guy who supposedly spit on his face, he got upset and stabbed the guy in the arm. The guy now has permanent damages. Also, since being in his country the deportee has been institutionalized twice and also uses drugs. Yes, he's a total mess.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So a deported felon with drug and psychological issues?

Why not let his Mother petition him if it makes her feel better, will be 7 or so years before the visa number becomes current and sounds like the situation will have solved itself by then.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Attempted murder would be a CIMT.

Chances are slim bordering on extremely remote.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Doesn't sound like he doesn't have a good chance. You've done your part (by helping him by researching options on here) but it sounds like even you knew that it his chances are slim to none existent.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

She could petition him hoping beyond hope that the people that make the immigration laws decide all unlawful behavior puts you at the front of the line for a green card and a path to citizenship just like the idiots that give preference to those that jump the border.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well let's look at it this way:

Marijuana use: 1 year ban from receiving visa

Mental health major issues: will require additional exam by panel psychologist

Attempted nurser: I honestly have no idea.

Lots to overcome, but nothing's impossible

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

A deported guy who served time in jail for attempted murder with mental illness is as close as it gets to automatic rejection on any kind of visa. So I am not sure if I will waste my money on applying. They have rejected visas for far less than this. Its just one step above a self declared terrorist applying for visa.

Filed: Timeline

put yourself in the chair of the USCIS (DHS) waiver adjudicator....would you want your name on an approval? And really, how much 'hardship' could there be (realistically) for mom, by not having her totally messed up son sitting in a Barco-lounger next to her while she watches daytime soaps? What component of her life (besides missing this misfit) would be compromised if said son were not allowed into the US? I cannot think of a single one....certainly none that rises to the level of 'extreme hardship.'

Leave him where he is....for the safety of American citizens.

Doesn't sound like he doesn't have a good chance. You've done your part (by helping him by researching options on here) but it sounds like even you knew that it his chances are slim to none existent.

i second this comment

put yourself in the chair of the USCIS (DHS) waiver adjudicator....would you want your name on an approval? And really, how much 'hardship' could there be (realistically) for mom, by not having her totally messed up son sitting in a Barco-lounger next to her while she watches daytime soaps? What component of her life (besides missing this misfit) would be compromised if said son were not allowed into the US? I cannot think of a single one....certainly none that rises to the level of 'extreme hardship.'

Leave him where he is....for the safety of American citizens.

i agree

So a deported felon with drug and psychological issues?

Why not let his Mother petition him if it makes her feel better, will be 7 or so years before the visa number becomes current and sounds like the situation will have solved itself by then.

can you elaborate a lil more and the situation solving itself

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

he was being sarcastic. Nothing about this situation will resolve itself. This is a DIY site and this case is far beyond the reaches of DIY. And to be honest, he seriously doesn't have a snowball's chance in heck of ever getting back here. Thank God.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

People with his lifestyle do not tend to have a long life expectancy.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You said it...he committed crime, served time and got deported. Think about that for a second. Do you think he stands a slim chance!?! Even if the mom petitions for him, they will run into the history nonetheless (felony, mental illness and deportation). From a legal point of view and my professional experiences with clients, I can't possibly imagine a citizen defending such a case before an immigration judge (they will be shut down so fast). This would cost a ton of $$$ and that's if an attorney is willing to take that impossible risk. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well let's look at it this way:

Marijuana use: 1 year ban from receiving visa

Mental health major issues: will require additional exam by panel psychologist

Attempted nurser: I honestly have no idea.

Lots to overcome, but nothing's impossible

I want to know what an attempted nurser is .... the quick visual when I read it was snort the coffee out of the nose funny

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

6ada05af773dea4664b4c4afeba6b2fd.jpg

Jan 25, 2014: I-129F Sent

Feb 13, 2014: NOA1

Apr 15,2014: NOA2 Notice Via USCIS Web Site

Apr 22, 2014: NOA2 Received In Postal Mail

Apr 28: 2014: NVC Received

Apr 30: 2014: NVC Left

May 09, 2014: Embassy Received

Jul 08, 2014: Interview - Approved - CEAC Status Ready

Jul 14 2014: CEAC updated but still READY Status

Jul 16 2014: CEAC Status changed to Administrative Processing

Jul 22 2014: CEAC Status changed to Issued

Jul 28 2014: VISA received

Aug 06 2014: U.S. Arrival (Ft. Lauderdale POE)

Children (3 kids)

Apr 28 2015: Filed I130 petition for each child

Aug 21 2015: Notice from USCIS that all 3 petitions transferred to California Service Center

Sep 17 2015: Approval for all 3 petitions

Nov 12 2015: Paid one AOS fee for all 3 children

Nov 13 2015: Paid separate IV fees for all 3 children

Dec 04 2015: Filed Affidavit of Support (I864) for each child

Jan 12 2016: Received RFE for missing birth certificate from one of the kids packet

Jan 13 2016: Sent in RFE evidence ( birth certificate copy .... again O_o )

Jan 19 2016: Received notice that they received the RFE evidence

Feb 22 2016: Called and found out another RFE was being sent out about birth certificate

Feb 24 2016: Sent in (inextensa versions, not de acta versions) of birth certificates for all children

Mar 02 2016: Received notice that they received the RFE evidence

Mar 11 2016: NVC Process finished, now awaiting interview time slot to be scheduled

Mar 29 2016: Called NVC and found out today they scheduled interview

Apr 01 2016: Received Packet 4 notice via e-mail with interview date

Apr 25 2016: Children received P4 letters in the mail

May 19 2016: Interview

Jun 03 2016: Received Visas

Jul 06 2016: Travel to US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.