MandyAlex

Joint bank account

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I like to add my fiancée to my bank account at my local credit union, however, thay informed me is not possible since she doesn't have a social security number. How others have managed to include their beneficiaries to their bank accounts in order to have another evidence of a bona fide relationship? Can you point me to any US bank that will allow this? Thanks.

K-1 Petition - California Service Center

Sent by FedEx: Feb 9 2016

Received at CSC: Feb 10 2016

NOA1: Feb 12 2016

Approved/NOA2: May 31 2016

NOA1 TO NOA2: 111 Days

NVC Received: July 26, 2016

NOA2 TO NVC: 56 Days

NVC Case #: July 27, 2016

NVC Processing: 3 Business Days

NVC To Consulate: July 29, 2016

Consulate Received: Aug 1, 2016

Consulate Ready: Aug 5, 2016

Interview: Sep 19, 2016

(Visa Approved!)

POE: Oct 17, 2016

Wedding: Dec 22, 2016

Filed for AOS: May 5, 2017

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are looking to co-mingle funds, another way is to put her on your credit card as joint user. Some cards, like Capital One and Credit One banks do not ask for their SSN. In additions, some banks, like TD Bank, do not ask for their social security number when it comes to joint credit card accounts.

My husband and I opened a joint bank account just a few days ago, bank requested a SSN. But since I do not have one, all they asked for was my passport and ITIN number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am the beneficiary.

LPR since May 2019. 

Started ROC on March 14th 2018.

NOA 1:  March 30th 2018.
Biometrics: May 25th 2018.
Card being processed: May 5th 2019
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Timeline

First thing we'll be doing once she gets here and off that plane. As stated, I'm trying to present additional evidence of our bona-fide relationship once consular interview comes around. Thanks for the reply.

If you are looking to co-mingle funds, another way is to put her on your credit card as joint user. Some cards, like Capital One and Credit One banks do not ask for their SSN. In additions, some banks, like TD Bank, do not ask for their social security number when it comes to joint credit card accounts.

(Visa Approved!)

Timeline

Awesome thanks, that's a great suggestion and one didn't cross my mind. I'll definitely check with AMEX, Discover and my Visa CC with Chase and inquire about the possibility. Do you know if they will add her name on the monthly statements or simply issue a card under her name?

(Visa Approved!)

When my husband and I opened a joint bank account, even if I had a SSN (J1 visa at the time, allowed to work so had to get a SSN, we weren't married by then) they asked me for a copy of my passport and an address in my country of residence.

It was Union Bank, state of Vt, so I don't know if that helps.Hope it does!

Edited by BrenPuchot

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Agree with Mike-eeh and Odie that getting a credit card in her name is pretty easy - I did it with my fiancee. For interview purposes, adding the fiancee to financials is not really an advantage (for AOS it is). Photos, proof of time together, and communications records (Skype, email, etc.) are much better. Putting someone on a credit card or financial document doesn't really prove anything. Spend a lot of time together and document it. We went through a high-fraud country and our interview was all about our time together and photos. Good luck to you!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Be careful, it can be a bit of a two-edged sword, if the obtaining of joint accounts is not sequenced properly. The CO could determine that you are already married, and therefore not entitled to a fiancee visa. ;)

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Agree with Mike-eeh and Odie that getting a credit card in her name is pretty easy - I did it with my fiancee. For interview purposes, adding the fiancee to financials is not really an advantage (for AOS it is). Photos, proof of time together, and communications records (Skype, email, etc.) are much better. Putting someone on a credit card or financial document doesn't really prove anything. Spend a lot of time together and document it. We went through a high-fraud country and our interview was all about our time together and photos. Good luck to you!

Hey WandY, thanks so much for taking time to reply and also for the good wishes, I wish you the best also. After reading your reply though, I am left with a uncertainty. When you say "adding the fiancée to financials is not really an advantage", do you feel by doing this it actually presents a disadvantage? I wholly, 100% agree with you with everything else you mention, but I want to make sure I don't do anything negative to jeopardize our interview. Are you more neutral on the opinion of including her on one's financials or do you know for a fact it with cause more harm than good? Look forward to your advice.

(Visa Approved!)

Timeline

Be careful, it can be a bit of a two-edged sword, if the obtaining of joint accounts is not sequenced properly. The CO could determine that you are already married, and therefore not entitled to a fiancee visa. ;)

Hi Pitaya, thanks for your reply. I am legally divorced and free to marry for more than 8 years, and my fiancée has never has been married. I don't believe that will be a concern or issue.

Edited by MandyAlex

(Visa Approved!)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Pitaya, thanks for your reply. I am legally divorced and free to marry for more than 8 years, and my fiancée has never has been married. I don't believe that will be a concern or issue.

You misunderstood :) What Pitaya meant is that by adding her to your bank account it may look to the CO like you and your beneficiary are already married, even though you are not.

Edited by 4 the luv of Masr

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think what Pitaya meant was married to each other. You may want to wait until she is in USA to have joint accounts, not jump the gun so to speak. There are other ways to prove a bonafide relationship.

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline

You misunderstood :) What Pitaya meant is that by adding her to your bank account it may look to the CO like you and your beneficiary are already married, even though you are not.

Hummmm, now are more confused than before lol. Seems like everyone has a different opinion in regards to the subject, and this tends to fall in the eyes of the beholder. Well, being that the case and until proven differently, I guess I'll go with my own instincts. Nevertheless, I remain open to additional opinions and/or personal experiences. Thanks in advance :yes:

(Visa Approved!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.