firebird00

Possible Changes of the US Immigration system and laws?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

With the US presidential elections coming soon and some candidates pointing a lot at the immigration and immigrants in the US, is it possible that the "legal" immigration system may face new major changes? Such as cancellation of K-1 Visa, cancellation of some waivers such as in some cases the US spouse dies before ROC, or cancellation of the divorce waiver?

How do this really work? Does the US president get to decide everything related to that on his own and rule it or the Congress gets to vote if a bill can pass or not?

Is any of the immigration laws falls under the American constitution or in another meaning it is protected by the constitution and can not be changed that easy?

Timeline

Immigration isn't constitution protected to my knowledge. It's a privilege not a right to get family here, spouses included. I doubt that they'd cancel anything that would dis encourage marriage.

Do you know how does such changes really happen? Who has the final word on it the president or the Congress?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I worry about stuff like that too, so that is why I am applying for my son's N600 to have the Certificate of Citizenship not just a passport in case things change down the road.

CR1 / CR2 Visa:

(Day 1) 12/16/11: I-130 Application sent

(Day 283) 09/24/12: Interview at US Consulate – Approved!

(Day 287) 09/28/12: Visa Received & Immediately entered US using Visa

(Day 290) 10/01/12: Social Security Card sent automatically

Removal of Conditions CR1 / CR2
(Day 1) 07/28/14: Application sent.
(Day 135) 12/10/14: ROC Approved!
(Day 143) 12/18/14: 10 year GC received (IR1 / IR2)

Naturalization:
(Day 1) 06/30/15: Application sent.
(Day 210) 01/26/16: Interview and Oath Ceremony. DONE!

***Son and I became US Citizens 01/26/16***

(Day 1) 01/27/16: Applied for my U.S. Passport
(Day 14) 02/10/16: Passport Book & Cert of Naturalization received

(Day 1) 03/16/16: Applied for U.S. Passport for son

(Day 22) 04/07/16: Passport book and original docs received...(Card rec'd 04/16/16)

N-600 for child age 9
(Day 1) 01/27/16: Application sent

(Day 12) 02/08/16: NOA received

(Day 23) 02/19/16: Case received at local office

(Day 88) 04/23/16: In line for oath scheduling *Called USCIS to inquire about why there is an oath required for a child under 14. They sent a service request to the field office.

(Day 95) 04/30/16: Received letter from field office to say no oath necessary and that they would mail the certificate.
(Day 106) 05/11/16: Cert of Citizenship received by registered mail (they never sent tracking. case status was never updated either)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

With the US presidential elections coming soon and some candidates pointing a lot at the immigration and immigrants in the US, is it possible that the "legal" immigration system may face new major changes? Such as cancellation of K-1 Visa, cancellation of some waivers such as in some cases the US spouse dies before ROC, or cancellation of the divorce waiver?

How do this really work? Does the US president get to decide everything related to that on his own and rule it or the Congress gets to vote if a bill can pass or not?

Is any of the immigration laws falls under the American constitution or in another meaning it is protected by the constitution and can not be changed that easy?

Wishful thinking. There are too many special interest groups that want 'this specific rule' strengthened, or 'that specific rule' weakened, such as, foreign guest workers, or specific divorce waivers, or higher fences, or less deportation, or......?, to get any meaningful comprehensive immigration reform accomplished.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

With how dysfunctional Congress is right now, the only thing you can really rely on is that almost nothing will change anytime soon. The exception would be if the Democrats were to sweep the elections in November and win both the Presidential election and re-gain their majority in the Senate. Short of that, the status quo will most likely be maintained for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

The reason that immigration hasn't had a major overhaul is because Congress is supposed to be the one who passes the laws and the President gets to sign the ones he likes and veto the ones he doesn't. Congress hasn't been able to agree on immigration for a long time. So Obama took it upon himself to reform the system. He made an executive order to introduce DACA and the Supreme Court will be ruling on the constitutionality of it later this year. So I wouldn't worry so much about the new President changing immigration alone. He's supposed to go through Congress... balance of power like the nation's forefathers envisioned. But will stuff change, I would expect some changes but I wouldn't expect them to be implemented in the next two or three years. And then when they are, I bet they focus on tougher background checks (so longer processing times) and reforms to the visa waiver program.

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Timeline

Wishful thinking. There are too many special interest groups that want 'this specific rule' strengthened, or 'that specific rule' weakened, such as, foreign guest workers, or specific divorce waivers, or higher fences, or less deportation, or......?, to get any meaningful comprehensive immigration reform accomplished.

Who can change the waivers for example? The president or the Congress?

With how dysfunctional Congress is right now, the only thing you can really rely on is that almost nothing will change anytime soon. The exception would be if the Democrats were to sweep the elections in November and win both the Presidential election and re-gain their majority in the Senate. Short of that, the status quo will most likely be maintained for the foreseeable future.

What if they didn't and the will be from the republicans, can he change the laws by himself? Or he needs the majority of the Congress votes and does the SCOTUS has also a say in this? What about Naturalization? Can any president cancel the whole process or is it protected by constitution?

The reason that immigration hasn't had a major overhaul is because Congress is supposed to be the one who passes the laws and the President gets to sign the ones he likes and veto the ones he doesn't. Congress hasn't been able to agree on immigration for a long time. So Obama took it upon himself to reform the system. He made an executive order to introduce DACA and the Supreme Court will be ruling on the constitutionality of it later this year. So I wouldn't worry so much about the new President changing immigration alone. He's supposed to go through Congress... balance of power like the nation's forefathers envisioned. But will stuff change, I would expect some changes but I wouldn't expect them to be implemented in the next two or three years. And then when they are, I bet they focus on tougher background checks (so longer processing times) and reforms to the visa waiver program.

what visa wavier program you mean?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I was thinking about that too, also regarding the naturalization. I don't know if most of the changes will be targeting illegal immigrants or immigrants and immigration in general. I guess it's also about the Congress not just the president.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Timeline

I was thinking about that too, also regarding the naturalization. I don't know if most of the changes will be targeting illegal immigrants or immigrants and immigration in general. I guess it's also about the Congress not just the president.

When is the Congressional election?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

When is the Congressional election?

I believe in November 2016 as well as the Presidential ones.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

I don't believe there will be any changes or serious reforms to immigration anytime soon, commonsense or otherwise. Politics is what it is. If you notice historically, immigration policy hasn't changed too much no matter who is President, who is in Congress, and what political party is in power and complaining/or not complaining about it at the time. ;)

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

I don't believe there will be any changes or serious reforms to immigration anytime soon, commonsense or otherwise. Politics is what it is. If you notice historically, immigration policy hasn't changed too much no matter who is President, who is in Congress, and what political party is in power and complaining/or not complaining about it at the time. ;)

I think now it's different. I mean as far as I remember, before there was never a presidency candidate who called to build walls, or to kill families and ban people from entering the country because of their faith, or building a huge wall! That is so un-american. America has always been the pioneer in freedom and rights, and now to see this happening is something so weird.

Edited by firebird00

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think now it's different. I mean as far as I remember, before there was never a presidency candidate who called to build walls, or to kill families and ban people from entering the country because of their faith, or building a huge wall! That is so un-american. America has always been the pioneer in freedom and rights, and now to see this happening is something so weird.

Bracero Program

Operation Wetback

Chinese Exclusion Act

etc etc etc

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.