TKTEAMS

Please Help - I need advice

19 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good afternoon everyone...

I am Tanya (a USA Citizen by birth) - I have been married to my Canadian born husband for 16yrs. We live in Utah & have been here for 9+yrs (the first years of our marriage we lived in Canada) - My husband just became a USA Citizen through naturalization a few months ago.

My husband has 4 children from his previous marriage - They are all adults (over 21) now. We also together have two younger children from our marriage, they are 8 & 10yrs old.

About 2 weeks ago our son Joe (my step son) who is almost 24 years old, told us that he really wants to come to Utah to live & work. He wants to be closer to us & to his younger brother & sister. We were so excited to hear this news. We miss all of our older children so very much... and we hate being so far away from them. Our 8yr old son absolutely adores his older brother Joe and loves him more than anyone in the world... Our entire family was so happy to hear Joe's decision to move here to the USA with us.

I quickly started looking into how to get him here quickly... I am utterly blown away by the things I have learned. I figured that because he was in the very first family priority category, that he could get legal status to come here within a few months.

However, if I am understanding what I am reading correctly, it could realistically be 8-10years from now - If we applied today... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that I am misunderstanding something... Please.......

This to me seems absolutely ridiculous! How can they expect people to wait that long to be together with family members? If this is truly the case, I can completely see why we have so many people coming here illegally... We would never break the law that way ourselves, but I can fully understand why people would.

Please advise me... Is it true? Are we looking at years & years & years to be able to get him here? By then our youngest son will be an adult... This seems so wrong!

Is there any alternative to get him here faster? Anything we can do? Another Visa type with no waiting period? Anything????

My heart is breaking because our family wants to have him here & now I'm terrified that it will not happen...

Please help with any knowledge or advice in this regard...

Thank you so much for your time...

Tanya

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with the above. I'm just adding that he could also apply to a university or college and enter on a student visa. If it had been that important to be united as a family he could have been petitioned for any time in the process when he was a minor.

Edited by B-2-Z

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with the above. I'm just adding that he could also apply to a university or college and enter on a student visa. If it had been that important to be united as a family he could have been petitioned for any time in the process when he was a minor.

With USC parents a student visa may be difficult to obtain.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

With USC parents a student visa may be difficult to obtain.

I didn't think of that!

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

No visa is "easy" and "quick" to obtain. Depending on where he works, maybe he can ask his company to relocate him to the USA if they have a branch here or apply for a work visa.

K-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate: Mumbai, India

Met at University in UK: 2010

Engaged in India: 03/31/2014

I-129F Sent: 06/20/2014

NOA1: 06/25/2014

NOA2: 12/16/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 12/23/2014

Case Sent to NVC: 12/23/2014

NVC Case Number Assigned: 01/05/2015

Case Sent to Consulate: 01/08/2015

Case "Ready" at Consulate: 01/09/2015

Applied for PCC: 01/20/2015

PCC in hand: 02/23/2015

Medical: 01/23/2015

Completed DS-160 and paid visa fee: 02/20/2015

Interview: 03/13/2015 APPROVED :)--> Same day went into AP

Visa "issued" on CEAC webstie: 03/16/2015

:goofy: :goofy: Visa in hand! 03/18/2015 :goofy::goofy:

POE: 06/04/2015 :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

AOS Journey

06.11.2015- City Hall Wedding

06.29.2015- Mailed AOS Package

07.01.2015 - Package Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

07.02.2015- Date Received as per USCIS

07.09.2015- NOA1 for EAD/AP

07.24.2015- RFE :ranting:

08.13.2015- USCIS accepted RFE response

09.08.2015- EAD received

Waiting for the interview :clock:

12.19.2015 WE GOT THE GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!!!! No interview :)

ROC

10.25.2017 ROC packet received by VT Service Center

11.02.2017- Received NOA dated 10.26.2017

11.29.17- Completed Biometrics

Waiting for the interview :clock:

Timeline

This reply is not just meant for the person who is quoted above... I was trying to Reply to both comments I received and try to clarify my situation...

First please understand that he (our Canadian born, unmarried & over 21yr old son) had a serious girlfriend for several years who wanted to live in Canada - we would not have expected him to come here because his life, job, friends & girlfriend were there in Canada... There was no reason to think that he would want to move to the USA when he was 18 or 20... But life changes... He is growing up, he is no longer with his girlfriend, and he is now realizing that he wants to be here... Yes the timing sucks!!!!! It totally sucks!!! I sure as heck wish that he would have decided this before he was 21... But when he was younger (before 21) his life was pointing in a different direction...

The problem I see with a student visa is that USCIS doesn't want it to be a path to permanent residence. The Government wants it to be specifically for schooling only & then a prompt return to their home country... They specifically want to ensure that the student is not planning on staying more than a few years in the USA... This could maybe turn into an opportunity if he were to meet a ice gal, fall in love & decide to get married - but that is not a guarantee is it?

I have thought about a work visa - which would be an option, but from what I have read, it sounds as though the only ones who can come on work visa's are people who are considered "professionals" such as Dr's - Lawyers, Engineers, Professors etc. ---- He is a blue collar worker - he has worked in construction mostly with a few other non professional jobs as well... So it seems that a work visa is impossible too...

He's not a baby - he is a Man... But from what I read, as his family, we need to apply on his behalf with an I-130 and then sponsor him as well... So I'm not sure where the Blunt comment about him "being a man & finding his own way here" from the first reply I had even makes sense... We love him & we want him here... Simple as that... Of course I am trying to help my son to join us here - now that he has finally made this decision to come here...

I am just blown away that it takes like 8-10 years to bring a close (1st priority) family member here... The system is totally messed up & that's what I am seeing... By having waiting times this insanely long, they are encouraging illegal aliens to come here, and encouraging fake "immigration only" marriages... People in the first priority group should have visa's available within 6 months... Not 10 years... This system is broken from what I am seeing...

I'm feeling extremely disappointed by the system... I came here to this forum for advice (not criticism)... Please understand that I seriously thought that our son could legally come here within the next few months --- I never, ever, ever, in my worst nightmares would have imagined how long the wait realistically is... I have never dealt with immigration from this starting point before... The only experience I have is from me immigrating to Canada when I first married my husband (fairly easy & quick) and then when we decided several years later to move to the USA, I dealt with my husbands immigration here (a pain in the butt, but fairly quick)... This just seems wrong & I'm sorry if my inexperience bothers any of you... But I just need someone to be kind to me & really help me... I'm the one who is going to need to tell my 8yr old son who is so excited about his brother coming that he wont quit talking about it, that our Government wont allow him to come... The decision of our son Joe to come here, made us so happy - our entire family... And for nothing it seems...

Can someone please give me any relevant advice? Please...

Are there any Visa types that would allow him to move here quicker? (Months - not years) ---- Allow him to eventually apply for Citizenship?

Please be kind in your comments to me & remember that I am a complete rookie at this stuff & it's all extremely confusing...

Thank you

Timeline

I'm under the process right now. It does take up to 10 years on average. It could be less or it could be more.

The petitioner [uS Citizen parent] files a I-130 to the USCIS. They process it. Once that is approved, you are assigned a case priority date [usually the date of filing of the I-130].

Once the priority date hits, then the case moves to the NVC/State Department. At which point you file a DS-260, Affidavit of Support, along with building a packet of documents [certified police report, certified birth certificate, photos, etc] Once that is processed and completed, it gets forwarded to the US consulate [in Canada's case 99% of the time its Montreal] for the interview. If the interview goes well and the visa is approved you should have your passport with the visa stamp and I-551 packet returned to you within a few business days.

If there was no backlog/line it could in theory take as little take a year, HOWEVER That isn't realistic.

With the backlog / line, and the F1 preference category only accepting 23,400 or so per year, 10 years is probably realistic time frame. It depends if they speed up processing, or if there's a regression. A regression kicks back the priority dates for certain visa categories usually adding a few years to the wait. This happened to me during the big regression in 2011, otherwise I would probably would have had my green card in 2012/2013 [5-6 years] instead of 2016 [9 years].

There's a lot of people in the same situation as you, and the reality is, it takes a while. Regardless on what you decide to do, I'd still file just to have that option in the future.

Regarding work visas...

NAFTA TN1 visa may be an option in some cases, I know of tradesmen who come down to the US to work on TN1's, that's a uniquely Canadian visa, and if you are qualified, takes only 15-30 minutes to get at the airport assuming the paperwork and job offer is all in order. No labor certification, no consulate visas, etc. It is however, not a dual intent visa, which means you can't intend to immigrate with it. It could be an option to see if your son likes the US or not, and then decide on a course of action after that.

Edited by HollywoodNorth

Hollywood North

Former: TN1, H1B, O1 worker

Currently: FB-1: I-551 approved in MTL 04/04/16. Issued 04/06/16.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You have been given proper advice as to why it takes so long. It's not a priority as he's a grownup. Family reunification does not prioritize grown ups.

If he's a blue collar worker it's highly unlikely that he would be able to get a work visa unless an eb3 is available for his profession or an L visa for an infra company transfer.

I'm under the process right now. It does take up to 10 years on average. It could be less or it could be more.

The petitioner [uS Citizen parent] files a I-130 to the USCIS. They process it. Once that is approved, you are assigned a case priority date [usually the date of filing of the I-130].

Once the priority date hits, then the case moves to the NVC/State Department. At which point you file a DS-260, Affidavit of Support, along with building a packet of documents [certified police report, certified birth certificate, photos, etc] Once that is processed and completed, it gets forwarded to the US consulate [in Canada's case 99% of the time its Montreal] for the interview. If the interview goes well and the visa is approved you should have your passport with the visa stamp and I-551 packet returned to you within a few business days.

If there was no backlog/line it could in theory take as little take a year, HOWEVER That isn't realistic.

With the backlog / line, and the F1 preference category only accepting 23,400 or so per year, 10 years is probably realistic time frame. It depends if they speed up processing, or if there's a regression. A regression kicks back the priority dates for certain visa categories usually adding a few years to the wait. This happened to me during the big regression in 2011, otherwise I would probably would have had my green card in 2012/2013 [5-6 years] instead of 2016 [9 years].

There's a lot of people in the same situation as you, and the reality is, it takes a while. Regardless on what you decide to do, I'd still file just to have that option in the future.

Regarding work visas...

NAFTA TN1 visa may be an option in some cases, I know of tradesmen who come down to the US to work on TN1's, that's a uniquely Canadian visa, and if you are qualified, takes only 15-30 minutes to get at the airport assuming the paperwork and job offer is all in order. No labor certification, no consulate visas, etc. It is however, not a dual intent visa, which means you can't intend to immigrate with it. It could be an option to see if your son likes the US or not, and then decide on a course of action after that.

TN isn't just for Canadians it's for Mexicans too. As well still for professional workers Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There are only a finite amount of visas given out every year. Priority dates are based oft of how many are waiting in line. If less Pele wanted to come the wait would be less. Check ot the wait times for some other countries.

Timeline

TN1 = Canadians, TN2 = Mexicans, and the Mexicans have a few more hoops to jump through.

Canadians are lucky in that they can literally jump on a plane with a qualified job offer and start work very quickly. There's a few oddball job categories covered under the TN like Interior decorator and hotel manager, etc.

Hollywood North

Former: TN1, H1B, O1 worker

Currently: FB-1: I-551 approved in MTL 04/04/16. Issued 04/06/16.

OP: if you and your family, along with your son are seriously committed to be reunited, then by all means start the process.. because the reality is it won't get any faster any time soon. Yes, it's difficult, but that's how it is. After this many years, I'm sure you have still managed to maintain the ability to visit and spend time with each other, and can continue to do so. And when the time comes finally, and the son is still serious about it with no changes to his life (he is young afterall!) then this big life decision was meant to be. And it is a big life decision for sure

All of us had to wait some longer than others. It's a shame, and it's painful even more for some... but if you're serious get started.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Thank you all so much for your help & your replies...

He is a professional Driver (he told me that tonight, I didn't realize he had a professional license for commercial vehicles)- any ideas if that is a covered category through TN1 or any of the other work Visa's?

I do appreciate all of you taking the time to help me...

It still makes me sad that so many people must wait so long...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

TN is a distinct advantage for Canadians, just because he may not qualify now does not mean he can not work towards it. He will need decent qualifications anyway if he wants to prosper in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Thank you all so much for your help & your replies...

He is a professional Driver (he told me that tonight, I didn't realize he had a professional license for commercial vehicles)- any ideas if that is a covered category through TN1 or any of the other work Visa's?

I do appreciate all of you taking the time to help me...

It still makes me sad that so many people must wait so long...

http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/doing-business-in-america/professions-covered-by-nafta.html

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.