cheche143

changed name IR-5

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please help.. i now have all the documents being requested by the USCIS.. they basically want my birth certificate and parents marriage certificate with the new logo Philippine Statistics Authority..my question is, since i am now using my married name, would that be a problem that it wont match my birth cert? Also, we got married here in the US but we registered it in the philippines, do i have to sumbit the one that is registered in the Philippines to show the name changed? or do i have to get a court document for changing my name?

Thank you in advance.

Timeline

Nope there wont be any problem as long as your documents are authorized by Government.

Thank you, amiralam45!

I have our marriage contract issued here in the US, i think i will just include that just to make sure i got everything covered...

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please help.. i now have all the documents being requested by the USCIS.. they basically want my birth certificate and parents marriage certificate with the new logo Philippine Statistics Authority..my question is, since i am now using my married name, would that be a problem that it wont match my birth cert? Also, we got married here in the US but we registered it in the philippines, do i have to sumbit the one that is registered in the Philippines to show the name changed? or do i have to get a court document for changing my name?

Thank you in advance.

Just to make it clear, you're just about to start the process of I-130 right? Did you just change your surname because you're married is what you referring to? If so, you don't need any court documents related to that matter. Of course your birth certificate and your current credentials now won't have the same surname because you are using your married name.

Here are what you need to submit if you're just about to start the petition as supporting documents :

Proof of petitioner- parents relationship

(Copy of your birth certificate, copies of birth certificate of your parents, if you only petitioning for one you only need one, and copy of their marriage certificate. If you're petitioning just the mother you don't need the marriage certificate.

Proof of your status in the US:

Copy of your Naturalization Certificate

Copy of your marriage certificate.

If you have all the documents I have listed then you're good to go.

Good luck. :)

Timeline

Just to make it clear, you're just about to start the process of I-130 right? Did you just change your surname because you're married is what you referring to? If so, you don't need any court documents related to that matter. Of course your birth certificate and your current credentials now won't have the same surname because you are using your married name.

Here are what you need to submit if you're just about to start the petition as supporting documents :

Proof of petitioner- parents relationship

(Copy of your birth certificate, copies of birth certificate of your parents, if you only petitioning for one you only need one, and copy of their marriage certificate. If you're petitioning just the mother you don't need the marriage certificate.

Proof of your status in the US:

Copy of your Naturalization Certificate

Copy of your marriage certificate.

If you have all the documents I have listed then you're good to go.

Good luck. :)

Thank you, Msrovers!

I filed I-130 for both parents oct last year and just received an "RFE" asking for my birth cert and parents marriage cert. I just wanna make sure i got everything covered, i might be just overthinking:) . The letter stated that they needed my birth cert but it was written in bold letters with my married name.

Timeline

Thank you, Msrovers!

I filed I-130 for both parents oct last year and just received an "RFE" asking for my birth cert and parents marriage cert. I just wanna make sure i got everything covered, i might be just overthinking:) . The letter stated that they needed my birth cert but it was written in bold letters with my married name.

Did you submit your birth certificate with them already when you filed the I-130? Yes you need their marriage certificate. They want to make sure that they were your biological parents. Regarding with the surname issue just send them your birth certificate together with your marriage certificate. That's all I had to submit when I applied. I got married here in the US too.

Timeline

I did submit my birth certificate and parent's marriage cert with my initial documents but they said it is not accepted because the documents was obsolete so i got a new one. Did you submit a copy of your marriage cert or original?

Timeline

I did submit my birth certificate and parent's marriage cert with my initial documents but they said it is not accepted because the documents was obsolete so i got a new one. Did you submit a copy of your marriage cert or original?

Yes.I did submit a copy of my birth certificate and my marriage certificate during my initial submission and went well. You might want to consider calling the USCIS for the clarification of documents they want. Give them a call first thing monday morning then.

Btw, when did you got birth certificate and marriage certificate that you initially submitted? I have been using my authenticated birth certificate since 2007. So up until now I have that yellow color version of Philippine NSO authenticated birth certificate.

Edited by msrovers

Timeline

I actually called but they couldnt tell me specific document they need, he said they are not allowed to advise anything and to follow whatever the letter is. I submitted the same yellow old birth certificate but it was photocopy so i think i have to submit original just to be sure. Did you submit photocopy of your marriage certificate? Is your marriage cert issued by the state where you got married?

Timeline

I actually called but they couldnt tell me specific document they need, he said they are not allowed to advise anything and to follow whatever the letter is. I submitted the same yellow old birth certificate but it was photocopy so i think i have to submit original just to be sure. Did you submit photocopy of your marriage certificate? Is your marriage cert issued by the state where you got married?

Yes. It was all photocopy that I submitted. Both BC and my MC are photocopies. Another option for you I can suggest is make an appointment to see your local immigration officer. They might be able to explain to you better. That's what I did when I wasn't so sure if they will take my parents marriage certificate before I filed the petition because there was some discrepancies when I received the documents. They told me as long as I can prove my identity and the relationship I'm good to go. So I did. You're still dealing with USCIS right? Not the NVC?.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.