mshanga

How long until we can travel internationally after approval?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello!

So I'm trying to start plan our wedding ceremony, which will be different then our legal wedding, as we will get legally married as soon as my fiance is able to enter the country on a K1. I'm realizing that I don't know when he will be allowed to travel internationally. After he enters the country on the K1 and we get married, when is he able to leave the country? I'm mostly concerned about our honeymoon ideas, which all seem to center around international locations. Does he have to wait to receive his green card? I know this can take up to three months, so is it imperative that we do not plan the ceremonial wedding before three months after his entry into the USA? What does he need to have with him when he returns to the US with me, and how does all of this work?

Thanks for all your help!

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

He will be able to travel once he receives his advanced parole and he will get it in a combo card with his work authorization. The EAD/AP combo card will arrive in about 3 months after filing for AOS. His green card will take much much longer than 3 months to receive.

He needs to bring a copy of the EAD/AP combo card upon his return to the US. It would probably be best to also carry a copy of his marriage certificate and AOS receipt notice.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Timeline

Ok, thanks for the reply! I'm still a little unsure about what happens after K1 approval and entry into the USA, so that's really helpful. So we should certainly plan international travel only three months after we submit through AOS?

Timeline

If you want to travel as soon as marrying i suggest you fil for AOS asap but a few tips would be to add your spouse to your bank account bills etc and collect as much wedding picture and picture of youbguys gere to send in your package bonafied marriage so you wont get and rfe like we did

K1 approved 06/13/2013

AOS approved 02/12/2014
ROC approved 09/14/2016

DIVORCED 01/10/2020

Timeline

As well 3 months is an estimate but its not for certain it could take that long to adjust it can take less or shorter deoending on the center and if youbdont get a interview it took us 3 months for interview but we got an rfe so that extended our AOS to 5ish month

someone forgive me if im wrong

K1 approved 06/13/2013

AOS approved 02/12/2014
ROC approved 09/14/2016

DIVORCED 01/10/2020

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

So we should certainly plan international travel only three months after we submit through AOS?

Sure do all the planning you want, just don't purchase anything. It could take longer.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline

He will be able to travel once he receives his advanced parole and he will get it in a combo card with his work authorization. The EAD/AP combo card will arrive in about 3 months after filing for AOS. His green card will take much much longer than 3 months to receive.

He needs to bring a copy of the EAD/AP combo card upon his return to the US. It would probably be best to also carry a copy of his marriage certificate and AOS receipt notice.

True. and the best way to travel is with Green Card in hand.

Timeline

True. and the best way to travel is with Green Card in hand.

But that can take six months or more correct? We would really like to be able to travel outside the USA for our honeymoon, and we are hoping to plan a wedding ceremony that isn't extremely distanced from our actual legal marriage, but obviously being in the good graces of immigration and being allowed back into the country is our top priority. I just want to make sure that we can legally travel outside the USA if we have EAD/AP combo with us when we re-enter the USA.

This is my personal experience but I wanted to travel ASAP after arriving here on my K1. Our plan was to file the OAS right away. In reality things took longer after I actually got here, like getting my social security number, getting married, getting my new social security number with my married name and then gathering at least some evidence like a joint bank account (which can't happen without the SS#) and joint car insurance, health plan, etc. I doubt you want to send the AOS in without any co-mingling info. It seems like USCIS puts a lot of weight towards financial proof as well.

I arrived last October and was finally able to file for my AOS the first week of January (took a bit to get the rest of the $1070 too). My estimated adjudicated date is April 2-10... so about 6 months after arriving assuming no RFEs or delays. Personally it's still too risky to plan for anything... who knows what delays will happen.

Perhaps plan a smaller honeymoon within the US then a bigger one after the AOS combo card.

2015-03-07: Got engaged (L)

2015-03-30: Sent I-129F to Dallas lockbox

2015-04-14: NOA1 Packet received, sent to CSC

2015-05-07: NOA2 Approved!

2015-06-15: Received Packet 3 by mail

2015-06-17: Sent Packet 3 to Consulate

2015-07-14: Received Packet 4

2015-08-10: Medical in Toronto

2015-08-16: Received medical envelope

2015-08-24: Montreal interview- APPROVED!

2015-08-27: Visa arrives at Loomis location

2015-08-28: Visa in hand!

2015-09-17: Entered USA

2015-10-23: Married!

2016-01-11: Sent AOS Package I-485, I-765, I-131

2016-01-21: NOA1 Package received

2016-02-19: Biometrics

2016-04-01: AOS interview- APPROVED!

2016-04-07: 2 yr cond green card in hand

2018-03-12: sent ROC

2018-03-19: NOA date, 2018-03-24 letter rec'd

2018-05-18: Biometrics appt waived

2019-06-04 New biometrics letter received

2019-06-10 Biometrics

2019-06-18 ROC Approved
2019-06-25 10 year Green Card in hand

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

But that can take six months or more correct? We would really like to be able to travel outside the USA for our honeymoon, and we are hoping to plan a wedding ceremony that isn't extremely distanced from our actual legal marriage, but obviously being in the good graces of immigration and being allowed back into the country is our top priority. I just want to make sure that we can legally travel outside the USA if we have EAD/AP combo with us when we re-enter the USA.

My wife and son travelled with only their APs and had no issues re-entering. Again, they had copies of their 485 NOA1 and our marriage certificate.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Hey, agreed with everyone here. If you get married and file AOS immediately, you *should have* AP within 3 months. There are two big caveats to this.

One-- getting married and filing for AOS immediately is not as simple as it sounds-- especially if you're unfamiliar with the process (which it sounds like you may be). It is a lot more paperwork than the visa generally, and you can't file until you have your marriage certificate which can take a while, depending on your jurisdiction-- ours was nearly 2 weeks before we could go to the courthouse to pick it up. Admittedly, we had our legal ceremony 2 days before Christmas so that could have something to do with it.

Two-- personally, I wouldn't buy anything until I had AP in hand. You could get an RFE or any other sort of delay.

And just a little bit of unsolicited advice-- those months leading up to your wedding (the big one) are likely going to be extremely hectic and stressful. I was (am... long story there-- wedding didn't happen and is being rescheduled because of a major blizzard) a very laid-back bride and honestly I could barely handle it. I was reduced to a puddle of tears hiding in the conference room at work on more than one occasion (seriously)-- before any of the blizzard drama. I absolutely, positively would *not* want the additional stress of needing to do the AOS paperwork and/or the worry that it may not arrive in time for my planned honeymoon.

You can take this or leave this, but I'd really urge you to do yourself a favor and consider planning a US-based honeymoon and save the international traveling for later (unless you plan a honeymoon for 6+ months after your big wedding, not the legal one,-- that is likely enough breathing room). I love international traveling more than I can put into words-- it's basically the top priority in my life-- but I just wouldn't consider what you may be setting yourself up for as worth it. There are lots of options in the US from the classic exotic/luxury trips, to adventure trips, to hippie/ backpacker style, to "offbeat"/quirky. Maybe I'm just traumatized by the past several months (for context-- the night my wedding was canceled was the first night I slept soundly and didn't have nighttime acid reflux in a month because THAT was a more relaxing experience than planning the thing) but seriously, you don't need one more thing to stress about.

Edited by CatherineA

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Just to clarify since it seems you're just starting to learn about the AOS process....

Filing for AOS (I-485) alone will not get you work authorization (EAD) or travel authorization (AP). You must submit separate applications for EAD and AP when you submit your AOS application. EAD and AP will be approved, as others mentioned, approx. 3 months after you file the AOS, EAD and AP jointly. Greencard could take the same amount of time, or much longer, there's really no way to know. Once the greencard is approved, you don't need EAD or AP anymore.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

:guides: and the Processing Times, both are easily accessible at the top of the forum page. You may find the K1 Flowchart helpful for planning: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow, and the Processing Times to gauge EAD/AP processing times: http://www.visajourney.com/content/times .

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Hey, agreed with everyone here. If you get married and file AOS immediately, you *should have* AP within 3 months. There are two big caveats to this.

One-- getting married and filing for AOS immediately is not as simple as it sounds-- especially if you're unfamiliar with the process (which it sounds like you may be). It is a lot more paperwork than the visa generally, and you can't file until you have your marriage certificate which can take a while, depending on your jurisdiction-- ours was nearly 2 weeks before we could go to the courthouse to pick it up. Admittedly, we had our legal ceremony 2 days before Christmas so that could have something to do with it.

Two-- personally, I wouldn't buy anything until I had AP in hand. You could get an RFE or any other sort of delay.

And just a little bit of unsolicited advice-- those months leading up to your wedding (the big one) are likely going to be extremely hectic and stressful. I was (am... long story there-- wedding didn't happen and is being rescheduled because of a major blizzard) a very laid-back bride and honestly I could barely handle it. I was reduced to a puddle of tears hiding in the conference room at work on more than one occasion (seriously)-- before any of the blizzard drama. I absolutely, positively would *not* want the additional stress of needing to do the AOS paperwork and/or the worry that it may not arrive in time for my planned honeymoon.

You can take this or leave this, but I'd really urge you to do yourself a favor and consider planning a US-based honeymoon and save the international traveling for later (unless you plan a honeymoon for 6+ months after your big wedding, not the legal one,-- that is likely enough breathing room). I love international traveling more than I can put into words-- it's basically the top priority in my life-- but I just wouldn't consider what you may be setting yourself up for as worth it. There are lots of options in the US from the classic exotic/luxury trips, to adventure trips, to hippie/ backpacker style, to "offbeat"/quirky. Maybe I'm just traumatized by the past several months (for context-- the night my wedding was canceled was the first night I slept soundly and didn't have nighttime acid reflux in a month because THAT was a more relaxing experience than planning the thing) but seriously, you don't need one more thing to stress about.

Thanks for your advice! I am still new to learning about AOS and everything after my fiance enters the US on the K1. I think you may be right, and we will probably hold off on the ceremonial wedding and honeymoon until May 2017. It just seems like it won't be feasible, and the stress will be too much to do it sooner then that. I'm currently still waiting on my NOA2, so I still have a long way to go! It's nice to hear the perspective of someone who has gone through it all, so thanks :).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.