UKTOBK

K2 letter to permanently relocate... Notarised/Apostille

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am looking for a bit of clarity on the letter I have had drawn up and signed by my sons father giving permission to permanently relocate my son to the USA it has been Notarised by a Notary Public as I was advised just a solicitor signature would not be adequate.

The notary highlighted that I may need a further Apostille stamp which is done by the foreign office to authenticate the letter .... I wondered if anyone has gone through this experience or knows if I need this or not? There is a part of me that thinks maybe I should just do it anyway as it can't do any harm, the other penny pinching part of me says it may be a waste of money?!

I'm a January filer for the K1 and I'm located in the UK!

Thanks in advance!

I-129f sent by USPS - 21/01/2016

NOA1 - 25/01/2016

NOA2 - 15/03/2016

NVC received file - 04/04/2016

NVC case # received - 07/04/2016

DS-160 completed upon receipt of case # and medical booked

London received - 14/04/2016

Medical - 15/04/2016

Waited impatiently for interview but the new system was introduced 03/05/2016 and I booked myself

Interview - 01/06/2016

Approved- 01/06/2016

AOS/EAD/AP

Filed - 26/08/2016

NOA1 - 02/09/2016

Biometrics - 28/09/2016

EAD approval - 28/10/2016

AP approval - 29/10/2016

I can't tell you how its gonna be in the future, But i can tell you it will be worse off if we give up!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

If you have heard that it's needed for the embassy en UK, I would just go ahead and do it. Each country is different so what is needed one place don't have to be needed in a mother country.

But better safe then sorry :)

I am looking for a bit of clarity on the letter I have had drawn up and signed by my sons father giving permission to permanently relocate my son to the USA it has been Notarised by a Notary Public as I was advised just a solicitor signature would not be adequate.

The notary highlighted that I may need a further Apostille stamp which is done by the foreign office to authenticate the letter .... I wondered if anyone has gone through this experience or knows if I need this or not? There is a part of me that thinks maybe I should just do it anyway as it can't do any harm, the other penny pinching part of me says it may be a waste of money?!

I'm a January filer for the K1 and I'm located in the UK!

Thanks in advance!

I have followed UK forum on here daily for 8 years. I am not aware of anybody having strict requirements imposed on them. Most took a letter witnessed by a solicitor because their aren't notaries on every corner like in the U.S. One lady just filled out a form on the day of interview saying she didn't know where the father was. Never saw any reports of being refused until an Apostille could be presented.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

If you have heard that it's needed for the embassy en UK, I would just go ahead and do it. Each country is different so what is needed one place don't have to be needed in a mother country.

But better safe then sorry :)

Hi georgia16 thanks for the support, I know what you mean better safe than sorry but the cost implication is why I asked, this process is a costly one so if it isn't needed that money can go toward something else lol

NOA1 - 25/01/2016

NOA2 - 15/03/2016

Medical - 15/04/2016

Waited impatiently for interview but the new system was introduced 03/05/2016 and I booked myself

Interview - 01/06/2016

Approved- 01/06/2016

AOS/EAD/AP

Filed - 26/08/2016

NOA1 - 02/09/2016

Biometrics - 28/09/2016

AP approval - 29/10/2016

I can't tell you how its gonna be in the future, But i can tell you it will be worse off if we give up!!

Timeline

I have followed UK forum on here daily for 8 years. I am not aware of anybody having strict requirements imposed on them. Most took a letter witnessed by a solicitor because their aren't notaries on every corner like in the U.S. One lady just filled out a form on the day of interview saying she didn't know where the father was. Never saw any reports of being refused until an Apostille could be presented.

Having stalked these forums for a few months I was hoping you would respond nich-nick, can I just say your posts have been so helpful to me when preparing our I-129f... It's always useful to have a visa journey veteran weigh in on a query! :-)

Notarys are not easy to come by (or cheap) so I was lucky to get one! I already had a signed letter from my sons father but I just didn't fancy the risk of it not being accepted at the interview stage!! It doesn't sound like the Apostille is really necessary over and above the notarising then! Thanks

NOA1 - 25/01/2016

NOA2 - 15/03/2016

Medical - 15/04/2016

Interview - 01/06/2016

Approved- 01/06/2016

AOS/EAD/AP

Filed - 26/08/2016

NOA1 - 02/09/2016

Biometrics - 28/09/2016

AP approval - 29/10/2016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.